05/28/2023 1:40 pm EDT Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

That seems to be one of Harris's big themes and he did get rid of most of the players that can't walk.  Still only average for the season, but they were LAST in 2022.  On the pitching side, they have allowed the second fewest walks in MLB.  

9th in MLB in BB%. So they are moving up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Lange stranding the ghost winner was huge. Almost as good as a walkoff.

Indeed.

But go back to Riley's triple.  What the heck was Roberts thinking?  He wasn't going to get Riley at 2nd.  He completely misplayed that for no reason.  All risk, no reward.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

and a 90 run differential between us and Mn. All old Pythogaras can do is contemplate how acute the Tigers have been.

My guess is that the numerals say games within a run or two favor the Tigers, middle games might be 50/50, and blow outs go to the opposition.  That being said, while the "playing chess" trope seems silly at times, Hinch & company are winning the toss ups.

Just now, casimir said:

Indeed.

But go back to Riley's triple.  What the heck was Roberts thinking?  He wasn't going to get Riley at 2nd.  He completely misplayed that for no reason.  All risk, no reward.

Maybe it's the legal cannabis in Michigan? 🤣🤣   Definitely a major brain fart on his part. When I saw that ball rolling to the fence, I was thinking an inside the parker.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Lange stranding the ghost winner was huge. Almost as good as a walkoff.

That’s what allowed the walk off to happen.

I don’t care if these guys are going to win only 75 games. I am super charged up, if not for this team exactly, then for what direction this organization is going. We have a team of players with slight talent and we’re winning games with them, sometimes against good teams, sometimes against the White Sox, with a fresh approach that optimizes guys’ talent. Some of the approaches we all agree on (e.g., taking more walks is better than taking fewer walks), some of which are controversial here (e.g., free-wheeling substitutions, players playing multiple positions). Love them all or love only some, it’s hard to deny that it’s working and winning us games.

We are currently in second place, one game back.

Even more impressively, we are now 23-17 in our last forty. That’s a 93-win pace!

1 minute ago, casimir said:

My guess is that the numerals say games within a run or two favor the Tigers, middle games might be 50/50, and blow outs go to the opposition.  That being said, while the "playing chess" trope seems silly at times, Hinch & company are winning the toss ups.

A baseball game is pretty multivariate, but you can take right back to the way they chased Cease - it meant that we had our BP ace available for the 10th and the Sox had already spent theirs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t care if these guys are going to win only 75 games. I am super charged up, if not for this team exactly, then for what direction this organization is going. We have a team of players with slight talent and we’re winning games with them, sometimes against good teams, sometimes against the White Sox, with a fresh approach that optimizes guys’ talent. Some of the approaches we all agree on (e.g., taking more walks is better than taking fewer walks), some of which are controversial here (e.g., free-wheeling substitutions, players playing multiple positions). Love them all or love only some, it’s hard to deny that it’s working and winning us games.

Even more impressively, we are now 23-17 in our last forty. That’s a 93-win pace!

I'll still be surprised if they don't sag back again a bit over the next couple of weeks, Wentz, Faedo and Boyd are going to remain unpredictable at best. They just have to keep in striking distance though because the pitching help is in the pipeline.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'll still be surprised if they don't sag back again a bit over the next couple of weeks, Wentz, Faedo and Boyd are going to remain unpredictable at best. They just have to keep in striking distance though because the pitching help is in the pipeline.

Oh, I think that’s pretty right. It wouldn’t shock me to see us get swept by the Rangers. We’re probably going to have a 10-20 run at some point. We’re nota good team yet. We’re punching above our weight right now. That’s why I still say 75 wins.

But, damn it, I’m having a great time watching this team. 😎

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is probably true.  But, hey, this is has probably been more fun than was expected this season.  Gotta enjoy it while is lasts.

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And Harris HAS to see the excitement at Comerica and start to realize how much this team means to a huge fan base. The fan enthusiasm for this Chicago series was incredible.

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And Harris HAS to see the excitement at Comerica and start to realize how much this team means to a huge fan base. The fan enthusiasm for this Chicago series was incredible.

I can't see us making any moves along the lines of trading future for someone to help us win now. First of all, I don't see who we have among our prospects that can unlock a difference maker for us today. Secondly, I don't believe just one player would be able to put us over the top. We would need at least two, maybe three.

I think we will ride or die with who we have in the system right now, barring a surprisingly fruitful waiver pickup. If we still sneak into the postseason with who we have now, what a coup that would be!