2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I would take the fact that other contenders would trade for him as a piece of evidence that he's more real than not. A complement of sorts.

In and of itself, though, it's evidence that the smart move would be to hold unless someone wanted to pay a premium for his services. He's just controllable for far too long, and his power bat from the left side, as G2 suggests, just doesn't have a lot of match for anyone coming up in the system.

I just can't imagine any team making an offer for Carpenter that would make sense for the Tigers. 

Reasons to consider trading Carpenter:

-He has less than 300 career MLB AB’s

-He’s probably a DH

-Another team over values him

-We can take on a bigger contract for a better, more complete player from a team looking to cut payroll.

I doubt he gets moved, but I’d be open to it if I’m Harris.

16 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I just can't imagine any team making an offer for Carpenter that would make sense for the Tigers. 

Harris managed to trade away Jimenez and Soto, solo inning artists, for potential everyday players.  I don’t know if Carpenter gets traded.  But you never who values what and for how much.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

-He’s probably a DH

-We can take on a bigger contract for a better, more complete player from a team looking to cut payroll.

I think the keys here are the DH only and the value that gets placed on him.  Probably more the latter than the former as the Tigers should consider any deal where they think they get more (future and/or current) talent in place of (current) talent.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

-He’s probably a DH

Agree with you. Hitting slumps. Defense is daily. 

13 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

if you can get a young guy who fits the 2024 team better - like a RH CF or a good bat catcher - then moving him could make sense

Malloy has reverse splits so he is like another lefty - Greene, Carpenter, Baddoo, Malloy, P Meadows (and sometimes McKinstry)

If he has reverse splits, that gives me more confidence he could play offensively everyday since RHH seem to to have better chance of learning how to hit RHP than LHH have of learning how to hit LHP.  The problem for him, of course, will be finding a position. 

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Be weary of those "reverse splits." 77 PA against lhp this year isn't nearly enough to come to that conclusion. And it isn't backed up by previous seasons.

Agreed on the small sample size.  Right-handed hitters have much less of a problem with splits than left-handed hitters, so I am not anticipating thst will continue to be an issue going forward.  

On 7/22/2023 at 2:00 PM, Tenacious D said:

-He’s probably a DH

Especially if the return includes a plus middle infielder or third baseman.

4 hours ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Astros and Rays allegedly in on Lorenzen.

Not sure you are going to get more than a mid tier prospect for him.

Cisnero will likely return even less than Lorenzen.

I could see packaging Cisnero and one of the starters, meaning Eduardo, to unlock a numbered prospect.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I could see packaging Cisnero and one of the starters, meaning Eduardo, to unlock a numbered prospect.

yeah - I'd rather see one big trade for maximum return on a well researched piece that's going to have an impact than the std 'let's bring in a many bodies as we can get and hope one hits" approach that we've seen fail so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - I'd rather see one big trade for maximum return on a well researched piece that's going to have an impact than the std 'let's bring in a many bodies as we can get and hope one hits" approach that we've seen fail so much.

Although in the hands of the New Boss, I’m more open to doing a deal like that, until he shows he fails at it, same as the Old Boss.

3 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

32-year-old Pierce Johnson is a good comp to 34-year-old Cisnero albeit without the saves. Colorado got a 45,40 ( or 2 40's if you go with FG) prospect for him. 

if that is what Johnson brought back, then Cisnero should be moved for sure

• Like 2

I think Harris is ok with tearing up the bullpen to solidify the lineup and as such will trade a controlled reliever, Foley-Lange- Holten , with a rental starter, Rodriguez -Lorenzen, to get a core piece and would be open to adding a minor leaguer in the deal as well. In such a scenario trading partners might give more knowing if the playoffs flop they still have assets for 2024. The hybrid Buy and sell is emerging as the new trade preference.