2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

Cleveland is getting killed on twitter but astutely they decided that Rosario's' defense is so bad they can not win with him at shortstop and as such he has no place to play. While Syndergard sucks perhaps he was hurt and at least provides depth allowing them to trade a starting pitcher for offense. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

And Giolito is a FA at the end of the season?

Yes he is. I think the reliever is also but not sure.  The Angels minor leagues are not good so their second and third rated prospects might not be as good as it sounds but it can’t hurt our return for Erod and Lorenzen. 

I guess if the Angels making a little run will help them keep Ohtani long term then it will be worth it but if he ends up bolting anyway at the end of the season the way they handled this deadline could be a killer for the franchise going forward. 

They not only would be losing out on potentially getting multiple high end guys for Ohtani but also lose all the prospects they are trading away by being buyers. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess if the Angels making a little run will help them keep Ohtani long term then it will be worth it but if he ends up bolting anyway at the end of the season the way they handled this deadline could be a killer for the franchise going forward. 

They not only would be losing out on potentially getting multiple high end guys for Ohtani but also lose all the prospects they are trading away by being buyers. 

They are 4 games and 4 teams (the teams may be the biggest hurdle) out of the playoffs.  I would expect the Angels to make more moves.  Is there a copy & paste of Norris for Olson available here for the Tigers?

I don't fault them for going for it.  It isn't just about the playoffs next season.  Keeping Ohtani around to build around may be the bigger goal.  But their mistake isn't necessarily going to be how they play this trade deadline.  Their biggest mistake is how they haven't been able to put a playoff team on the field in the 6 seasons that Ohtani (and Trout) have been around.

Edited by casimir

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Yes he is. I think the reliever is also but not sure.  The Angels minor leagues are not good so their second and third rated prospects might not be as good as it sounds but it can’t hurt our return for Erod and Lorenzen. 

Yeah Lopez is also a FA at the end of the season. Going off of Fangraphs they had Quero as a 50 and Bush as a 40 Pipeline had them as 55 and 50. Giolito was probably #1 SP on the market with E-Rod a bit behind him mainly for contract reasons so my hope for E-Rod is at least a 50 prospect. Obviously if we can combine him with Cisnero or Shreve to get more even better.

Just now, romad1 said:

When the first shoe drops for the Tigers and they send Erod and Lorenzen away I'll be remembering Ana from Guns of Navarone when she tells Captain Mallory this

Of course she gets hers for being a naysayer.   A smoking hot naysayer to be sure

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

and Trout while still a great player when he plays, can't stay on the field - has only averaged 3.2 WAR/yr over the last 4 seasons.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

and Trout while still a great player when he plays, can't stay on the field - has only averaged 3.2/yr over the last 4 seasons.

It's a small sample but as of now it appears that the Angels atleast got lucky with the Moniak pick up as he has essentially put up Trout like numbers in his absence. 

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Yeah Lopez is also a FA at the end of the season. Going off of Fangraphs they had Quero as a 50 and Bush as a 40 Pipeline had them as 55 and 50. Giolito was probably #1 SP on the market with E-Rod a bit behind him mainly for contract reasons so my hope for E-Rod is at least a 50 prospect. Obviously if we can combine him with Cisnero or Shreve to get more even better.

Not sure I agree that ERod is behind Giolito.  He’s out pitched him and likely opts out, essentially making him a free agent like Lucas.  And if he doesn’t opt out, the acquiring team has Rodriguez on a 3-year, team friendly contract.