2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Not sure I agree that ERod is behind Giolito.  He’s out pitched him and likely opts out, essentially making him a free agent like Lucas.  And if he doesn’t opt out, the acquiring team has Rodriguez on a 3-year, team friendly contract.

The only reason why I would say he is behind him is the recent injury history and the fact if he did blow out his shoulder this year you would be on the hook for those last 3 years. I mean I would be happy to be wrong and we get more back than you would for Giolito but that being said the difference is probably negligible in all honesty. 

Giolito is also one of those guys that has always seemed to be held in higher regard than his results indicate he should be. 

Like when he was put on the market I would see headlines that read "Atleast one bonafide ace will be on the market", I mean what makes him a true ace? His career mid 4s era with matching peripherals, his multiple injuries or his notorious inconsistentcy? 

Edited by RandyMarsh

21 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Baltimore has about 12 grade 50 or better prospects and need a starter and reliever so hopefully we can match up with them but their GM might be the best in the game so careful Scottie. 

Maybe they want Eduardo back after all these years...

https://www.mlb.com/news/eduardo-rodriguez-drawing-interest-at-2023-mlb-trade-deadline?partnerID=mlbapp-iOS_article-share

The Tigers left-hander has been drawing plenty of scouts to his recent starts, with the Rangers, Rays, Reds, Phillies and D-backs among the clubs keeping a close eye on the 30-year-old.

Those scouts on hand to watch Rodriguez's past two starts have also stuck around to watch Michael Lorenzen, Detroit's lone All-Star representative this season. Lorenzen will be a free agent at the end of the year, making him an attractive rental candidate who can start during the regular season and potentially move to the bullpen for the postseason.

The Tigers are also said to be considering trades of at least one of their relievers, with 27-year-old right-hander Jason Foley drawing significant interest.

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/eduardo-rodriguez-drawing-interest-at-2023-mlb-trade-deadline?partnerID=mlbapp-iOS_article-share

The Tigers left-hander has been drawing plenty of scouts to his recent starts, with the Rangers, Rays, Reds, Phillies and D-backs among the clubs keeping a close eye on the 30-year-old.

Those scouts on hand to watch Rodriguez's past two starts have also stuck around to watch Michael Lorenzen, Detroit's lone All-Star representative this season. Lorenzen will be a free agent at the end of the year, making him an attractive rental candidate who can start during the regular season and potentially move to the bullpen for the postseason.

The Tigers are also said to be considering trades of at least one of their relievers, with 27-year-old right-hander Jason Foley drawing significant interest.

I suppose if someone is willing to break their piggy bank in return for Foley you have to listen, but the rest of the season would be really painful without him. No team can lose their best BP arm wthout it hurting.

The book is out on Lange - just keep the bat on your shoulder and let him miss until you are ahead.

Edited by gehringer_2

Would Harris prefer Acuna or Foscue at 2B? Both in the Rangers top 7 prospects (Acuna a 55 high-hit, high-OBP, high-speed but struggles with breaking balls and Foscue a 50 with high-hit, high-OBP hits almost all FB's sa well as breakers but not much speed or arm...).

It seems like we already have both of those guys (Wenceel/ Jung) already in the Org. 

Just asking...

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Would Harris prefer Acuna or Foscue at 2B? Both in the Rangers top 7 prospects (Acuna a 55 high-hit, high-OBP, high-speed but struggles with breaking balls and Foscue a 50 with high-hit, high-OBP hits almost all FB's sa well as breakers but not much speed or arm...).

It seems like we already have both of those guys (Wenceel/ Jung) already in the Org. 

Just asking...

Well between the two it's Acuna hands down because of his "position flexibility" as we pursue 13 players that can play 13 positions and sell tickets provided 6 bat righty and six hit lefty and one switch hitter in Al's memory.

PS: To answer your question: I think Eduardo plus Lange gets you the prospect you want.

However, to my point, I would look for something different:

I would hunt either Evan Carter or Sebastian Walcott from the Rangers.

Either would be a tough ask from the rangers that they will not want to part with. 

But offer Eduardo, Foley, and Kerry Carpenter or Parker Meadows... and we might be able to swing Evan Carter.

Or offer Eduardo, Foley, and Cristian Santana... and we might be able to swing Sebastian Walcott.

But I'm just guessing...

And they would have to probably add some lower level lotto tickets to even out the trade but too many details there for me to WAG...

Edited by 1984Echoes

5 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm seeing the Rangers are looking for a starter and reliever in trade, they're hoping to get both from one team would a combination of Rodríguez, Lorenzen, Cisneros, Lang or Foley be enough to target Acuña and possibly another prospect?

Aim higher

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I  hoping for major league players in return. Or very close. 

Why? You’re more likely to get a high ceiling guy if he’s further away. Tigers need stars and nobody is going to give you a major league ready star, you have to take a gamble.

21 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Why? You’re more likely to get a high ceiling guy if he’s further away. Tigers need stars and nobody is going to give you a major league ready star, you have to take a gamble.

We’re all sick of the losing but this is right. No point in trading your ace-for-now just to get a standard major league regular.

The Cincinnati Reds acquire P Eduardo Rodriguez from the Detroit Tigers for P Brandon Williamson, CF Michael Siani, and P Carson Spiers

The NL Central is ripe for the taking, and the Reds really could use a starting pitcher to help secure a division crown. (I originally sent Giolito to Cincinnati, but trades wait for no man… to finish writing his piece.) I don’t expect the Reds to give up the house for anyone — productive minor leaguers are basically a necessity if the team is going to be a basement-tier spender. But I don’t think the Tigers will get a haul for E-Rod, as he’s almost guaranteed to hit free agency via his opt-out — he’ll easily beat the three years and $49 million remaining on his current deal — and carries heightened injury risk. Maybe this isn’t enough to tempt the Tigers, but I’d certainly try to offer a package like this first. I’d be open to talking about Chase Petty or Christian Encarnacion-Strand if I absolutely have to.

Mock trade from Fangraphs:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-make-some-deals-2023-trade-deadline-edition/

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Still unlikely though.  When you trade a rental, you'll almost always get a player with flaws which the other team sees as expendable.