2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

He has such a problem with Harris for some reason. I remember when he was on the old MTS. I'm just surprised he got a podcast with Evan Petzold. 

I'm not a big Harris fan either. At least, not yet. He's made a couple of good moves but also a few questionable ones. I don't dislike him but I will be a fan if he builds a winner. Let's give him a couple of years. Chris has to open the pocketbook though.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I blocked that troll, but if anybody wants to ask him when the trade deadline was moved to July 27 at the risk of being driven into a goalpost moving nonsensical debate, feel free.

See? This tells me Sportz was a jerk. Ed is just about the most patient guy on the board!

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

See? This tells me Sportz was a jerk. Ed is just about the most patient guy on the board!

So, it was less to do with him being a jerk. More to do with him just being incredibly obtuse and using stupid arguments. He was making me dumber.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Anybody can have a podcast. It’s the modern ham radio broadcast. Just need equipment. 

Yes. The zone is very very very flooded right now. Add the video clip on Twitter with Cable News-type graphics. That's what made me snap out of it and cut down. When they turn them into effectively online TV shows, I think "would I watch this?" "No?" "Okay, why am I listening to so many of these?"

Edited by Edman85

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm not a big Harris fan either. At least, not yet. He's made a couple of good moves but also a few questionable ones. I don't dislike him but I will be a fan if he builds a winner. Let's give him a couple of years. Chris has to open the pocketbook though.

Open the pocketbook like the Mets? I'd rather be prudish and gather cheap talent like the Rays.

12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

8 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Open the pocketbook like the Mets? I'd rather be prudish and gather cheap talent like the Rays.

I think in the Tigers case it may be more of the latter but some of the former will be needed.

I would like/hope to see the current regime come up with a player or two 'this deadline' in a trade that can be potential long term answers for the team. I totally agree with the 'resident' GM on MLB Network last eve when he said (paraphrasing) 'The Tigers have a chance to help themselves this trade deadline' . 

Of course it is easier said than done. Yet, pitching is always in demand, this is a bit more of a sellers market this year and there is competition for some of our arms (again according to 'some' reports). What may be a monkey wrench is what will the NY Mets do with their Aces'?

SHarris needs to hold his ground, but I find it hard to believe someone will not pony up - then again, one club in particular whom we might match well with - Baltimore is VERY tough to work a deal with, but sooner or later (will it be now and even a deal with Detroit) they have to realize they do not need 2-3: 2B's, SS's, etc. They are pretty stacked.

17 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

the inverse is Avila never trading Boyd because he never got the BIG WIN haul from any team that he was desperately looking for. as well as holding onto Nick and JD until their market cratered.

The worst part was that he traded J.D. with two weeks left, so Avila didn’t even allow J.D.’s market to recover—unless he calculated that he would get an even worse bucket of balls from Arizona if he’d waited until the 31st.

The turd cheery on the top is Avila could have waited until the waiver trade deadline of August 31st to trade him, too.

17 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Nastrini is a top 10 prospect in a good LAD system. Leasure has a huge FB and no control, lots of Ks repeating AA; and superstar Trayce Thompson? for 2 garbage pitchers?

Harris should get more for both ERod and Lorenzen.

We might be better-positioned to get something good for Lorenzen than for Eduardo. Lorenzen is a known quantity: two-month rental, having a decent year, able to slot into the bullpen in October, easy peasy.

Eduardo is not just a rental, though, he also has an option, and in a way it’s the worst of all worlds. If a team trades for him and he kills it, he’s opting out. If he collapses, he’ll stick around for the money. If he gets good and hurt, like Tommy John hurt, he’ll just accept the option and get paid to convalesce on the new team’s dime. All this applies to the Tigers keeping him, too. So it might or might not be even a Verlander-level return, although it should be a lot better than a J.D.-level return.

13 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I felt better about this regime after the draft. That was how I always hoped Detroit would draft.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, alex said:

... then again, one club in particular whom we might match well with - Baltimore is VERY tough to work a deal with, but ...

We also match up really well with the Rangers...

But I'm not certain how difficult they are to work with... on trades for example...

They've got at least a few guys I'd be dying to add to our team...

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ha  - I think the legitimacy of the Freep has been on one long slow slide since Joe Stroud retired

You can think what you want but when people search for a Tigers podcast then they see Free Press its going to lead them to believe these guys know something about the Tigers….  So he isnt just some guy with a “ham radio” screaming in the dark

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

The problem is he seems to have the legitimacy of the Detroit Free Press behind him with having Evan Petzold as a co-host

I don’t think the local papers have much legitimacy anymore. Anyone invested enough to download a podcast is already searching around the internet for information.  The age of gatekeepers and inside scoops by sportswriters is over. The daily beat guys are just stenographers.  They aren’t having beers at the Lindell AC digging deep for background info.  The game has changed so much.  The league and teams have their own media to use as marketing. They don’t need the papers.  The players are walking corporations so they aren’t going to say anything eventful. The writers are no smarter than many people here.  

I read an article recently where someone was being presented as an expert in sports business. They were discussing the Bally deal and whether RSN’s are still a thing we might see.  The problem is this expert once argued with me that there was no way Tom Gores would ever move the Pistons from the Palace since it was paid for and most of their ticket holders live in Oakland County. We saw what happened there didn’t we?  So beware of self appointed know it alls.  

32 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

You can think what you want but when people search for a Tigers podcast then they see Free Press its going to lead them to believe these guys know something about the Tigers….  So he isnt just some guy with a “ham radio” screaming in the dark

Actually I think Rob's analogy between the web and HAM operators is fairly apt.

But you assume anyone at the Freep cares if he knows what he's taking about. Nobody does. Sports is entertainment. and today any pretentions it ever had about being more serious that that have long since evaporated. Heck - the Tigers themselves run a largely incompetent team out there to broadcast their games everyday. National outlets lke ESPN spend half their day running people out there there who don't know what they are talking about. The bottom line is that it is only about the entertainment value. The Freep could care less if Gorosh does or doesn't know baseball or is or isn't a jerk (at least until he crosses one of the current cultural trip wires!), as long as people will listen so htey can see some kind of payoff - either in direct $$ or building Petzold's brand. And they don't have much choice - when your industry on on life support you need be trying every low cost tie-in you can muster.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

But you assume anyone at the Freep cares if he knows what he's taking about. Nobody does. Sports is entertainment. and today any pretentions it ever had about being more serious that that have long since evaporated. Heck - the Tigers themselves run a largely incompetent team out there to broadcast their games everyday. National outlets lke ESPN spend half their day running people out there there who don't know what they are talking about. The bottom line is that it is only about the entertainment value. The Freep could care less if Gorosh does or doesn't know baseball or is or isn't a jerk (at least until he crosses one of the current cultural trip wires!), as long as people will listen so htey can see some kind of payoff - either in direct $$ or building Petzold's brand. And they don't have much choice - when your industry on on life support you need be trying every low cost tie-in you can muster.

He is unlikely to cross any cultural trip wires since he is politically very liberal.  He insults people too much online but I assume they don't have people calling in to the podcast.  I have never listened to it.  

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Rumor was going around that Badoo was freezing out Evan earlier this season because of something Gorosh had said whether or not its true If that starts happening the Free press is going to start caring… my point is Gorosh has more of a platform then your average internet blowhard should have