2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

"asmuchtalentaspossible" is the word I would use here.

Yeah, beggars can't be choosers. And tbh, the Tigers have shown a better ability to develop pitching and to sell the place to free agents (see Lorenzen), so I think they could manage even if they don't add to those ranks in trades.

33 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, beggars can't be choosers. And tbh, the Tigers have shown a better ability to develop pitching and to sell the place to free agents (see Lorenzen), so I think they could manage even if they don't add to those ranks in trades.

If ever there comes a time when the Tigers have too many pitching prospects, they can surely find some trade partners to help them out.  Same goes for position players.

The focus right now should simply be to get the best package of talent in return of impending free agents before the trade deadline.  Now, there can be debate about quality versus quantity, I think that's fair.  But I wouldn't be too worried about pitcher or position player right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I think you also have to blame Dombrowski some …. The player development was improved by Al so what was it like under Dave? Dave was just better at getting good players 

Was it improved? Not sure, but either way, the bar is super low.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Was it improved? Not sure, but either way, the bar is super low.

He brought in more modern thinking with more of a stat focus …. Not saying he was great at it just pointing out the Tigers organization bad run has had many GM running it into the ground

9 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

He brought in more modern thinking with more of a stat focus …. Not saying he was great at it just pointing out the Tigers organization bad run has had many GM running it into the ground

I know Avila paid lip service to modern thinking with more of a stat focus, at least for the short time he felt pressured to, but it was easy to see more than five years ago that they weren’t taking it seriously.

Edited by chasfh

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

They shuffled the rotation and Hinch all but admitted Eduardo and Lorenzen are likely to be traded. Why does it matter if the trade happens August 1 or July 28?

could be Harris got an acceptable offer, but waiting to see if another team tops it

6 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Morosi on 97.1 this AM...says it's likely the last year they are sellers

I really hope they aren't making decisions on "buying or selling" next year now. I wouldn't put much stock in this. I'm sure up until a month ago, the Mets weren't planning on "selling." If you fall out of contention, you sell so you can recoup value for your roster. This depends entirely on how the season goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If the Cubs are buying, they're gonna need bullpen help, so maybe Lange right back to them for Cristian Hernandez? Lange's a devil they know and they shouldn't need shortstop prospects for a while.

His star has crashed down to earth, Fangraphs has him rated as their 13th best prospect.

4 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

His star has crashed down to earth, Fangraphs has him rated as their 13th best prospect.

Harris doesn't seem like a guy who chases numbered prospects, so it might depend on whether he and Hinch believe Hernandez, or whomever they go after with Lange (if at all), has the right kind of skills they can optimize.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

With the way Lange has been pitching and just his overall inconsistencies Id be more than happy/surprised if we could even get a Christian Hernandez type even with him losing some of his luster. 

Yup. Even in his last successful outing I don't think I saw him throw more than 2 FB for strikes. Batters were helping him out not forcing him to throw a strike. He's going to get less and less of that if his FB command doesn't get better.

Edited by gehringer_2

41 minutes ago, casimir said:

He's going to get benched and then get mad and then opt out due to frustration.

But AJ will go visit him at his home again to learn who Harvy really is at heart and what makes him tick. AJ’s just that kind of guy.