2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I usually assume it's all about the money, but given the personal problems he had last year, being close to home certainly could be an important consideration for him.  

I was wondering that too, but we're only talking two months, so unless something is at hand for him right now, I don't think that's as much a consideration.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Dodgers is still on the table and he's trying to squeeze the maximum out of the deal. Although there's also the Orioles, too.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

the dodgers probably wouldnt agree to extend him at the number he wants, so rodriguez nixed the deal.

which is why you put teams like that on the no trade list, it gives you leverage.

I doubt he wants to be extended, when he can be an unfettered free agent in a few months.

Just now, chasfh said:

I was wondering that too, but we're only talking two months, so unless something is at hand for him right now, I don't think that's as much a consideration.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Dodgers is still on the table and he's trying to squeeze the maximum out of the deal. Although there's also the Orioles, too.

It's two months, but not necessarily. If he struggles down the stretch he's stuck there three years.

Just now, Longgone said:

I doubt he wants to be extended, when he can be an unfettered free agent in a few months.

Agree.  I’m not sure what an acquiring team could offer in this situation.

Harris whiffed on his best offer, if this news is accurate.  Will be interesting to see how/if he addresses it with the Tigers media.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

Then he won't opt out and he has his current contract as security.

and he could tack on 2 years and 60 million to his deal right now and have that security instead of risk FA. 

Plenty of reasons to want an extension today instead of taking a risk of Free agency even though its just months away, like you suggested. 

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

t might be a negotiating ploy

except that it's  late in the day (1 hr left) to do any negotiating. It was a better plan for a deal doing down yesterday. If you're the Dodgers you might not have much appetite to try to have a detailed discussion with a guy you've got no history with when you're in the middle of trying to swing deadline deals in 60 min - you're likely just going to walk away if you have reasonable plan B without the loose ends.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

He wants to stay closer to home. Flights out of LAX can be excruciating. Not to mention jet lag every 5 days

So if this is the case, why deal with LA? Why even have a conversation? I can’t wait to hear what Harris says about this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Harris whiffed on his best offer, if this news is accurate.  Will be interesting to see how/if he addresses it with the Tigers media.

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

He wants to stay closer to home. Flights out of LAX can be excruciating. Not to mention jet lag every 5 days

This is a whiff by Harris...

If he's communicating with Eduardo... and is pretty certain he'll pull his no-trade option on a Dodgers deal...

Then he should have been all-in on the Orioles instead... Harris can still negotiate with the Dodgers/ Reds/ etc./ other teams... 

But when push comes to shove, he has to pull the trigger on a deal from a team that Eduardo does not have on his no-trade/ cannot nix the deal. Even if it's a lower haul than a Dodgers deal... you take the best deal that won't be nixed.

Push the Orioles as far as they'll go and take their deal. Even if a potential Dodgers deal is better...

IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

except that it's  late in the day (1 hr left) to do any negotiating. If you're the Dodgers you might not have much appetite to try to have a detailed discussion with a guy you've got no history with when you're in the middle of trying to swing deadline deals in 60 min - you're likely just going to walk away if you have reasonable plan B without the loose ends.

This is all likely old news that happened days ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

It's two months, but not necessarily. If he struggles down the stretch he's stuck there three years.

And LA is a great pitchers ball park. I don't know how stuck he would be. Even if he doesn't pitch well, he can still opt out and sign a one year deal with an East Coast team and rebuild his trade value - if the geopgraphy means that much to him. The Tigers are probably going to be terrible the rest of the way, he's not likely to add to his opt out value by staying here.