2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Source on .894? Fangraphs has Dodger Stadium at 98 on a 5 year average. Statcast at 100 on a 3 year average.

Ha  - you are correct, those are older numbers - that's the 5 yr average from 2013 to 2017 from ESPN.

But maybe the disconnect is you are looking at HR and I'm looking at scoring? They seem to be uncoupled at Dodger stadium.

On statcast just now it looks like in the last 25 yrs Didger stadium has only played in the red for RUNS 3 times, though two were recent.  ergo --> pitcher's park. (They did cut down on the foul territory in 2005 but looking at the chart it doesn't look to have have made an obvious difference.)

Interestingly, HR are way up recently, ergo --> hitter's park.   Take your pick!

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/statcast-venue?venueId=22

As a Tigers fan, there are two events a year that there remains some semblance of optimism in the air, the draft and the trade deadline. Harris ruined one of the two days I can still get excited about. After ERod’s shenanigans last year I was looking forward to him moving on. The organization has a bad look after today. 

I think it's a power move by Harris.   He showed the other teams that in the future when he makes a demand he means it.  Doesn't help us right now, but it probably does in the future.  Teams will know he means it. 

I'd rather have this than Al Avila panicking and settling for garbage - and the other teams knowing they can play him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KL2 said:

How in the hell would gm in name only made a difference?

Well that's first mistake...if it was a "gm in name only" then that's another sign of Harris not actually doing the job he's paid for🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hey, Harris is still wayyyy too early in his tenure to get judged, but there's not really a good way to spit shine this turd of what appears an Avila-esque, bumbling and fumbling of the trade deadline.

The no trade teams are often times strategically picked by the players/agents and not necessarily teams they legit don't want to trade for. They usually pick certain teams that in the event they do get traded there they can use that no trade to leverage something extra out of the team trading for them. Like maybe extra years on their contract or giving them a bigger deal etc. to not veto the trade but in this scenario it was one of the rare times that the team was a legit team or place that the player refused to play for. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There very well may have been a very good reason for him leaving the team last year.  I will let the players decide whether or not he is a good teammate.  Lefty pitchers tend to be a little odd. 

Personally, I view wanting to stay with you team for the long term (if that's the case) as more honorable than wanting to play in a pennant race which you did nothing to create  

But we don’t know it either of these things are true.  Nobody outside still knows the reason for last year and we don’t know if the reason for turning down this trade was for his love of the Tigers and wanting to stay here.  

What we do know is that he went awol for an extended period of time last year, and he chose not to compete in the pennant race this year.    

what STL got for Flaherty (who is having a much worse season than ERod) was the 16th and 18th prospects from a really deep Balt system, and both already at AAA. I assume that is basically the equivalent of what Harris did not get for ERod.  I won't mention a former third baseman for the Tigers by name, because I am sick of having that conversation, but these missed opportunities (ignoring the good in a futile search for the great) seem very Avila-like to me. AND THAT IS NOT A COMPLIMENT!

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

But we don’t know it either of these things are true.  Nobody outside still knows the reason for last year and we don’t know if the reason for turning down this trade was for his love of the Tigers and wanting to stay here.  

What we do know is that he went awol for an extended period of time last year, and he chose not to compete in the pennant race this year.    

I have never understood why it is considered honorable to participate in a pennant which you had nothing to do with creating.  It's probably more fun, but it also seems kind of cheap.  That part doesn't bother me at all.  I am less sure about the other issue as I don't know the reasons for his absence, but I don't want to assume the worst.  

Henning:

Major rookie mistake by Scott Harris. So, learn from it, and not just about trade-deadline screw-ups: He needs to view the Tigers and Detroit as something other than a clinical commodity. It's a baseball audience. An original one. He's so detached, so distant, it's embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

what STL got for Flaherty (who is having a much worse season than ERod) was the 16th and 18th prospects from a really deep Balt system, and both already at AAA. I assume that is basically the equivalent of what Harris did not get for ERod.  I won't mention a former third baseman for the Tigers by name, because I am sick of having that conversation, but these missed opportunities (ignoring the good in a futile search for the great) seem very Avila-like to me. AND THAT IS NOT A COMPLIMENT!

Let's be fair, you were just gonna complain no matter what happened. 

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Whither Fulmer & Boyd...?

5 minutes ago, kdog said:

Henning:

Major rookie mistake by Scott Harris. So, learn from it, and not just about trade-deadline screw-ups: He needs to view the Tigers and Detroit as something other than a clinical commodity. It's a baseball audience. An original one. He's so detached, so distant, it's embarrassing.

Seriously? His detachment is Henning's critique? What could be less relevant? I couldn't give a rat's asz about the GM's emotional involvement if he puts a winning team on the field. Does he think Dombrowski wasn't 'clinical'?  i'll take a  cold blooded executioner in that job more than a fan any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, kdog said:

Henning:

in other words, henning has no sources in harris' front office.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

... not necessarily teams they legit don't want to trade for. They usually pick certain teams that in the event they do get traded there they can use that no trade to leverage something extra ...  it was one of the rare times that the team was a legit team or place that the player refused to play for.

This can usually be resolved though, by something called...

"Communication".