2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

If that is the case, if all other offers were of JD Martinez return for whatever reason, then I'm alright with Harris opting for the much better deal even if there's more risk involved.  I'm fine with Harris expecting a minimum return, and if that return ain't happening, then the trade ain't happening.  Let the other GMs know you aren't going to be a pushover now or in the future.

Ding.  Ding. Mutherfriggin' Ding !

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

His explanation makes sense, but he really trashed his credibility by inventing the AJ opt-out rumours

When I was doing afternoons on WTKA, we had Henning as a guest and he actually said Scott Sizemore was a better defensive player than Placido Polanco.    I've kind of doubted his judgement since then.  

14 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

That’s fine but where is Plan B where is the trade for Cisneros, Lange, Foley, Shreve or anyone not named Greene… when your system has so little hitting and you dont do anything your really missing out on a chance to upgrade that’s what makes me frustrated 

I do think they should have moved Cisnero and Shreve for whatever they could get.  Maybe there simply wasn't any interest.

I think the return for Lorenzen is fine.

I don't know enough about what really happened with the Rodriguez trade to have an informed opinion.  I honestly doubt any of us do.

Edited by casimir
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Henning:

Major rookie mistake by Scott Harris. So, learn from it, and not just about trade-deadline screw-ups: He needs to view the Tigers and Detroit as something other than a clinical commodity. It's a baseball audience. An original one. He's so detached, so distant, it's embarrassing.

This self-righteous dinosaur is and always has been embarrassing. 

The more I think about that Henning tweeet I believe it. That’s his way of backtracking his initial criticism once he got more info. I do believe Harris had an agreement from Eduardo then he reneged. Harris won’t admit that because he won’t publicly bash his player so his comments are guarded. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oblong said:

The more I think about that Henning tweeet I believe it. That’s his way of backtracking his initial criticism once he got more info. I do believe Harris had an agreement from Eduardo then he reneged. Harris won’t admit that because he won’t publicly bash his player so his comments are guarded. 

Hopefully free agents put more importance on Lorenzen's experience with the Tigers than they do Rodriguez' nontrade when considering whether the Tiger organization suits them.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

Probably right but Harris is guarded about everything so who knows

1 minute ago, oblong said:

It may be the case, it seems plausible enough.

If so, good on Scott Harris for choosing to wear it

Harris failed. He has egg on his face. LA threw him under the bus by leaking the failed trade. The other GMs are laughing at him and his high asking price.

Best case scenario, he trades Erod for young talent. Worst case, Erod gets hurt and the Tigers are stuck paying him. Most likely case, he opts out and the Tigers get nothing. 

I'll give him a pass on Cisnero and Shreve because you try and trade 'em but he had to get someone for Erod. Now the Tigers have all the risk of Avila's stupid contract and none of the reward.

From what Harris said, it sounds like they will wait for the offseason to determine what happens. There won't be any negotiations about the opt out.

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It may be the case, it seems plausible enough.

If so, good on Scott Harris for choosing to wear it

And maybe the whole thing could have been avoided if Harris says: "Eduardo, have you spoken to your wife?"

Now sure, that's pure invention, but there is a kernel of truth in the fact that part of successful leadership is to think for your subordinates  of the things they could be forgeting.

Edited by gehringer_2

59 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Whether it involves an extension or just a buy out, the only way to preserve roster value with ERod now is some kind of deal to keep him from opting out. I don't have any objection on baseball grounds, he's a reasonable piece of a rotation and it's hard to escape the feeling that the apparent pitching depth we see right now is going to evaporate into career ending (re)injuries.

Everyone seems to be assuming that E-Rod hasn't already told Harris that he doesn't intend to exercise his opt-out clause. I'm not assuming that he has done that, just putting the possibility out there. None of us know anything.

3 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Everyone seems to be assuming that E-Rod hasn't already told Harris that he doesn't intend to exercise his opt-out clause. I'm not assuming that he has done that, just putting the possibility out there. None of us know anything.

We knew that before today.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

so in effect they will will wait to see if he opts out and join the queue to sign him as a FA, maybe.

I think he will opt out and we will get nothing but we can let everyone choose a potential outcome and whoever is right can pat themselves on the back on multiple threads all next year.

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

100% correct.

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I think he will opt out and we will get nothing but we can let everyone choose a potential outcome and whoever is right can pat themselves on the back on multiple threads all next year.

The whole saga with ERod is so obsure that who knows? Maybe they love him, maybe they are tired of his act and don't really care if he stays. Assume the latter premise and you could understand the Tigers at this point regarding the current contract as sunk cost and deciding they are not going to offer him any more money or years in return for him staying. But we won't know until Oct.

15 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Tiger twitter knows everything 

42 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Has anyone checked with his wife?