2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

11 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I don't see the point of trading Rogers. He's the second best player on the team IMO. Still under control for years. Great defense. Teammates love him. I don't get it.

Likely were getting a top young catcher from the Dodgers, someone who doesn't strike out 40% of the time.

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

It depends upon what the Tigers would have received.  If there’s a young MLB ready catcher coming back as part of the trade, that’d be fine.

Rogers is a young MLB catcher and a pretty good one too. I know he doesn't have the fancy OBP that Harris salivates for but he's right up there in war with some of the best catchers in the game this year. He is 9th in WAR according to Fangraphs. I think there are some other positions that need addressing first before gambling on a prospect being better than Rogers.

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

Rogers is a young MLB catcher and a pretty good one too. I know he doesn't have the fancy OBP that Harris salivates for but he's right up there in war with some of the best catchers in the game this year. He is 9th in WAR according to Fangraphs. I think there are some other positions that need addressing first before gambling on a prospect being better than Rogers.

Very hard to say without knowing who would be coming back.  I like Rogers, too, but he represents one of a couple of positions that could be upgraded.

8 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

rogers is not young.

8 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

It all depends on what the return is, which, we may never know what it was.

I don't know how reliable the ratings on MLB pipeline are, but the Dodgers have 6 catchers among their top 30 prospects.  They are mostly younger and lower level, but there's also one at AAA.  Maybe among the package are the AAA C and a younger C (as well as other prospects).

10 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Erod vetoed the trade so Jake wouldn't get mobbed by all of those Hollywood actresses.

There is one particular criteria that I require girls to meet in the wake of the past few years that I am betting Hollywood types see eye to eye with me on. Those Hollywood Actresses may be like Canada in 2021 where Jake wasn't going to be allowed to enter if he wasn't injured.

I think Rogers is getting waaaaaaaaaayyyyy overrated in this thread.

Anyways, came here to say Rosenthal had a good article up today and his sourcing seems to point at Mato yanking the football at the last minute.

• Like 2

Rosenthal's write up was pretty fair, and with the discussion of possible three-team trade discussion, it kinda blows a hole into the hole "tunnel-vision" plot line.

I do take issue with his comment about the criticism for just selling him for a lower price being less than Seidel's blistering criticism; I absolutely could see him being taken to the woodshed by the writers/fan base if he wasn't perceived as returning the kind of value that they believed ERod was worth.

Edited by mtutiger

21 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

totally not cool, but I'd love to have someone leak the details. I'm guessing ERod + Jake would have gotten a really interesting package from LAD.

I would also like to know what other 9 teams are on Rodriguez' no trade clause.  I've either searched in the wrong areas or its buried within the recipe of fruitcake.

14 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Anyways, came here to say Rosenthal had a good article up today and his sourcing seems to point at Mato yanking the football at the last minute.

I don't begrudge the use of the no trade clause.  It just seems to me that there wasn't good faith negotiating somewhere along the way.  There was a deal in place, the participants knew there was an obstacle, but it wasn't addressed until, what, 2 hours before the deadline?  This doesn't sit well after last year's episode where the specific issue wasn't the fault, it was the lack of communication from Rodriguez and his agent.

I guess from my position, and I understand I'm completely on the outside looking in, one of these incidents by itself is a one off.  But one after the other is a bit of an eye opener. 

19 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

There is one particular criteria that I require girls to meet in the wake of the past few years that I am betting Hollywood types see eye to eye with me on. Those Hollywood Actresses may be like Canada in 2021 where Jake wasn't going to be allowed to enter if he wasn't injured.

I think Rogers is getting waaaaaaaaaayyyyy overrated in this thread.

I read that this morning and yeah that seems to be the general theme to that article. I did find it interesting that GMs were complaining about the price being too high but it seems the Dodgers were willing to pay it so other than the fact E-Rod's agent or E-Rod himself messed up the deal it sounds like Harris held his ground and was going to get a deal he wanted. So in all honesty that makes me a bit more confident with him in the driver's seat even though it obviously didn't work out this time he had a price and stuck to it. 

• Like 3

Just now, casimir said:

I would also like to know what other 9 teams are on Rodriguez' no trade clause.  I've either searched in the wrong areas or its buried within the recipe of fruitcake.

I don't begrudge the use of the no trade clause.  It just seems to me that there wasn't good faith negotiating somewhere along the way.  There was a deal in place, the participants knew there was an obstacle, but it wasn't addressed until, what, 2 hours before the deadline?  This doesn't sit well after last year's episode where the specific issue wasn't the fault, it was the lack of communication from Rodriguez and his agent.

I guess from my position, and I understand I'm completely on the outside looking in, one of these incidents by itself is a one off.  But one after the other is a bit of an eye opener. 

According to the article the agent was talking to the Dodgers since Monday night and it wasn't until 1-2 hours before the deadline they decided they weren't going to accept the deal at least that is how I read it and they tried to create a 3 team deal with others to get E-Rod over to another team with other pitchers that wanted to trade.

6 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I read that this morning and yeah that seems to be the general theme to that article. I did find it interesting that GMs were complaining about the price being too high but it seems the Dodgers were willing to pay it so other than the fact E-Rod's agent or E-Rod himself messed up the deal it sounds like Harris held his ground and was going to get a deal he wanted. So in all honesty that makes me a bit more confident with him in the driver's seat even though it obviously didn't work out this time he had a price and stuck to it. 

Those comments from the other GMs are sour grapes.... if even just one team is willing to pay the price, that validates the price IMO

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Rosenthal's write up was pretty fair, and with the discussion of possible three-team trade discussion, it kinda blows a hole into the hole "tunnel-vision" plot line.

I do take issue with his comment about the criticism for just selling him for a lower price being less than Seidel's blistering criticism; I absolutely could see him being taken to the woodshed by the writers/fan base if he wasn't perceived as returning the kind of value that they believed ERod was worth.

Yeah, I agree, but thr point wasn't really to validate that hack job front Seidel, but to just point out that he was taking arrows.