2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

15 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

That will definitely make perspective free agents think twice about signing here 

there is no free lunch!

More seriously, I wonder though. Most pro athletes don't suffer from self-doubt - I don't think you can if you are going to succeed. So how many believe they would find themselves in a situation like that because they didn't perform? But I agree that from the general angle that if a team develops a bad rep with players it certainly matters.

Edited by gehringer_2

I believe Anderson is injured, because he was hitting before he went on the IL earlier this year. That is what i am hoping anyways because i am holding him on my fantasy team. There are a few underacheivers/constantly hurt guys on that Sox team, he could be someone who could benefit from a new home.

Not that the deal would happen anyways due to the contracts like someone pointed out.

Jarvy being traded is galaxy brain stuff.... that's not gonna happen, he will opt in, and we have to hope for the best going forward. Or at least hope that the team getting better around him with the addition of some of the younger talent in Toledo or through free agency maybe helps in some way.

The situation sucks, but at least Miguel comes off the books this offseason.... they can handle carrying his contract even if the production isn't ideal.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Jarvy being traded is galaxy brain stuff.... that's not gonna happen, he will opt in, and we have to hope for the best going forward. Or at least hope that the team getting better around him with the addition of some of the younger talent in Toledo or through free agency maybe helps in some way.

The situation sucks, but at least Miguel comes off the books this offseason.... they can handle carrying his contract even if the production isn't ideal.

Not that they would be the same groups of resources going through the efforts, but the time and energy spent on trying to trade Baez or anger him to the point of opting out would be better spent to help him get back to the player that he was in Chicago.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

No just thought he had the same contract status as Shreveport for some reason. Glad he doesn’t. 

Holton is an interesting case.  He's not arbitration eligible until 2026.  He's controllable and left handed and he's been very effective this season.  Will some other team overvalue him at this deadline?  I doubt he's traded, but you never know.

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

You can't blame Cabrera on Avila.  That was Mike Ilitch.  

Would fans really not want Miggy since 2008 just because his 2021-23 contract was too expensive? Do fans actually believe we would have spent his money on other quality players? I'll take the last few years of him being WAY overpaid for the joy he has brought me as a fan. A Triple Crown, people. Nobody can ever take away that achievement.

• Like 2

Looking at Javy's splits, he hits better in interleague games and against AL Central teams (familiarity issue). He hits better in 3 ball counts. He hits really well on balls to right field, good on balls pulled and horrible on balls up the middle. Maybe he's listening to CMO too much with his up the middle approach.

I was trying to find a comparable trade last year to compare for Lorenzen and I think the closest I could find was Quintana and Stratton to the Cards for Johan Oviedo (24 when traded) and Malcom Nunez (45 by MLB 40 by FG prospect). Based on that I would say that is comparable to us trading Cisnero or Shreve with Lorenzen. 

56 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Would fans really not want Miggy since 2008 just because his 2021-23 contract was too expensive? Do fans actually believe we would have spent his money on other quality players? I'll take the last few years of him being WAY overpaid for the joy he has brought me as a fan. A Triple Crown, people. Nobody can ever take away that achievement.

The 2008 contract was one of the best ever in terms of creating excitement and memories for Tigers fans.  The one that goes from 2016-2023 is the problem and he's been bad longer than just 2021-2023.  This is year 7 of replacement level.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Want him to opt out? Bench him and see what happens. Bye-bye. Zach Short can play SS much cheaper.

Why would benching him now with the hopes of getting him to opt out help him as a free agent this off-season versus what he would be guaranteed by opting in?

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The 2008 contract was one of the best ever in terms of creating excitement and memories for Tigers fans.  The one that goes from 2016-2023 is the problem and he's been bad longer than just 2021-2023.  This is year 7 of replacement level.

Yes, a retirement tour is fitting. I hope the Tigers invest the salary savings wisely.

54 minutes ago, casimir said:

Why would benching him now with the hopes of getting him to opt out help him as a free agent this off-season versus what he would be guaranteed by opting in?

Make him miserable? Want to leave? I just want to win, we could carry his bat if our offense produced more. His glove enough is kinda amazing.

33 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Make him miserable? Want to leave? I just want to win, we could carry his bat if our offense produced more. His glove enough is kinda amazing.

I don’t think it would work quite the way some folks hope this would work.