2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

23 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Rumor was going around that Badoo was freezing out Evan earlier this season because of something Gorosh had said whether or not its true If that starts happening the Free press is going to start caring

that's true enough.

Of course remember the Freep had their Tigers' guy get himself frozen out (Fenech) without even needed any outside help. 

BTW - I saw the they got a testimonial from Fenech for John Lowe. I guess wherever he fell of the Earth to has internet...:classic_laugh:

In one of the earlier podcasts this season Evan stated that Boyd called him over in the locker room and voiced his concern that Gorosh was “dogging” him on air and wanted to know why. Clearly, it didn’t sit well with Boyd. 
Petzold should do himself a favor and stop associating himself with this dude. I listened to the podcast pretty regularly until a few weeks back. Gorosh is too much at times. I do enjoy Evan’s perspective on things. 

The Reds would be a team I'd like to target, they have a few really attractive middle infield prospects that I would be interested in and with them already having Elly, Mclain and perhaps India(not sure whats gonna happen to him) they may be more open to dealing one of them for somebody like E-Rod. 

3 hours ago, Longgone said:

I felt better about this regime after the draft. That was how I always hoped Detroit would draft.

I like your optimism. Give it a few years and see how it goes. There were many fans saying to give Avila time too. But he lost his credibility when he extended Brad instead of firing him. At least, IMO.

39 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Rumor was going around that Badoo was freezing out Evan earlier this season because of something Gorosh had said whether or not its true If that starts happening the Free press is going to start caring… my point is Gorosh has more of a platform then your average internet blowhard should have

Internet rumors...but yeah I could see that happening.  

12 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Open the pocketbook like the Mets? I'd rather be prudish and gather cheap talent like the Rays.

No, that's an extreme. The Mets are/were stupid giving out all of those contracts. I just want the Tigers to sign 2 quality players or so. A RH hitting 3rd baseman would be nice. Maybe  RH outfield bat too?

13 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Open the pocketbook like the Mets? I'd rather be prudish and gather cheap talent like the Rays.

Your obsession with the rays is bordline Musk/fanboys

Edited by KL2

52 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No, that's an extreme. The Mets are/were stupid giving out all of those contracts. I just want the Tigers to sign 2 quality players or so. A RH hitting 3rd baseman would be nice. Maybe  RH outfield bat too?

Where does Colt play? What about Malloy?  Need spots for them.

7 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Where does Colt play? What about Malloy?  Need spots for them.

I like Malloy but imo he isn't the type of prospect that should prevent you from signing or going after proven veterans. Do I want them to overpay for an old past his prime player? No but if they could sign/trade for a proven player I'm not going to prevent guys like Malloy from stopping me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Your obsession with the rays is bordline Musk/fanboys

The Rays are worthy of some admiration.  However what works for the Rays isn't necessarily going to work for other organizations.  There isn't any other small budget team that has had the same kind of consistent success as the Rays.   

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

The Rays are worthy of some admiration.  However what works for the Rays isn't necessarily going to work for other organizations.  There isn't any other small budget team that has had the same kind of consistent success as the Rays.   

Yep, I think a more realistic team to model after is the Braves or Cardinals. Not necessarily penny pinchers but have a good balance between spending money/going after MLB players in trades while not neglecting the farm system or player development side of things. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Reds would be a team I'd like to target, they have a few really attractive middle infield prospects that I would be interested in and with them already having Elly, Mclain and perhaps India(not sure whats gonna happen to him) they may be more open to dealing one of them for somebody like E-Rod. 

The perfect trade partner to me is the Rangers.

The perfect trade (to me... not necessarily anyone else), is sending Eduardo (and let them negotiate an extension with him or a buyout of his opt-out), along with Lange, Lorenzen, Carpenter, some cash if needed, for Evan Carter (another Riley Greene type), Sebastian Walcott (high hit tool big RH'ed SS, or 3B'man), and pitchers Tekoah Roby, Mitch Bratt and Marc Church. The pitchers all control the strike zone. Church the highest upside with closer material. Roby and Bratt (rightie and lefty) end-of-rotation/ long reliever types...

IMO.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The perfect trade partner to me is the Rangers.

The perfect trade (to me... not necessarily anyone else), is sending Eduardo (and let them negotiate an extension with him or a buyout of his opt-out), along with Lange, Lorenzen, Carpenter, some cash if needed, for Evan Carter (another Riley Greene type), Sebastian Walcott (high hit tool big RH'ed SS, or 3B'man), and pitchers Tekoah Roby, Mitch Bratt and Marc Church. The pitchers all control the strike zone. Church the highest upside with closer material. Roby and Bratt (rightie and lefty) end-of-rotation/ long reliever types...

IMO.

Sounds like Max is going to the Rangers pending his approval so that may take them out of the mix for our guys. 

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

As a Reds fan, I would trade Arroyo for Eduardo, but not Marte. I wouldn’t trade Marte for just about anything. Maybe Cease. 

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Oh don't get me wrong the Rays have done well for themselves.

But everything cruizer posts its about how great the Rays are and all their success and their model.

When, at the end of the day, they've won exactly as many titles as us since 1984.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I don't know the ins and outs of state taxation of athletes, but he is passing up a lot of money if he turns down a trade to Texas.

You're taxed based on where the games are played. (So taxes for baseball get complicated because teams play 81 games somewhere else)

So trading half the games for ny (high state income tax) for Texas (no state income tax) will be a nice little windfall of an extra couple million.

Edited by KL2

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Oh don't get me wrong the Rays have done well for themselves.

But everything cruizer posts its about how great the Rays are and all their success and their model.

When, at the end of the day, they've won exactly as many titles as us since 1984.

The Rays have the 4th most wins in the majors since 2010 with one of the lowest payrolls.  It would be pretty hard to do better than that given their budget.  Counting titles doesn't really make sense when it comes to team building because you can't really build for a title.  Once the regular season is done, it's pretty much a crapshoot. The Rays have gotten the best bang for their buck of any team in that period.  

As I suggested before, I would not want the Tigers to follow their model of ultra low budgets because it hasn't worked for other teams.     

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The Rays have the 4th most wins in the majors since 2010 with one of the lowest payrolls.  It would be pretty hard to do better than that given their budget.  Counting titles doesn't really make sense when it comes to team building because you can't really build for a title.  Once the regular season is done, it's pretty much a crapshoot. The Rays have gotten the best bang for their buck of any team in that period.  

As I suggested before, I would not want the Tigers to follow their model of ultra low budgets because it hasn't worked for other teams.     

We've been over this 200 times.

I like championship. You think just trying your best is fine. 

No one gives a rats tail if you have the fourth most wins but lose the last game of the year. I imagine all the Rays players would say that too.

And everyone builds a team to win a championship, that's the name of the game.

For all the rays accolades and people like cruizer lauding over them, they haven't won the big one so it's fine to say 'sure they've had success but.' Or to day they aren't the perfect or only model to how build a successful team 

Edited by KL2

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

We've been over this 200 times.

I like championship. You think just trying your best is fine. 

No one gives a rats tail if you have the fourth most wins but lose the last game of the year. I imagine all the Rays players would say that too.

And everyone builds a team to win a championship, that's the name of the game.

For all the ryas accolades and people like cruizer lauding over them, they haven't won the big one so it's fine to say 'sure they've had success but'

A team can SAY that they build for championships, but they really can't.  All you can do is put a team on the field that wins enough games to get into post-season.  Once the post-season starts, it is a crapshoot.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 2

Nobody can build a team to win a World Series cause there is no blueprint for that all you can do is build a team to give you a chance at one and the Rays have done an excellent job of doing that. 

I get that it's all a matter of preference but as a fan all I want is for my team to be in the hunt year in and year out, sure I want a championship but I'd rather have 10 years of the playoffs with no championships than 1 championship and 8 or 9 non competitive seasons. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Nobody can build a team to win a World Series cause there is no blueprint for that all you can do is build a team to give you a chance at one and the Rays have done an excellent job of doing that. 

I get that it's all a matter of preference but as a fan all I want is for my team to be in the hunt year in and year out, sure I want a championship but I'd rather have 10 years of the playoffs with no championships than 1 championship and 8 or 9 non competitive seasons. 

That is absolutely nuts to me.

I'd rather have 1 championship and 100 years of losing, over 100 year straight of falling just short. Nobody remembers who just made the playoffs. Only the Lions hang banners for playoff appearances. 

And too many of you guys take this idea too literally. It's like building for sustained success and winning titles are mutually exclusive. They aren't. Cardinals and Boston have done it. 

What I'm saying is that for all the accolades people pour on Billy beane and the rays, they haven't won a title. So it's far to say their model might not be the best to emulate because it hasn't resulted in what those teams are gunning for and would give up their first born to get...a title.