2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

You’re probably right, but I would argue that (so far), the trade with Philly is playing out as quantity over quality.  Maton and Sands have not lived up to expectations.

Totally agree.  My larger point was regarding Harris targeting "his guys".  Not every trade is going to work out 100% although Sands has improved lately in Toledo.   My guess is Sands was probably just for organizational catching depth so Dingler didn't have to play AAA until he earned the promotion.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Would they be better off keeping E-Rod and letting him go free agent..............wouldn't they get a draft pick for him?    And if we have trust in our scouting department, would that draft pick be better than some 2nd or 3rd rate prospect? 

Can't get a pick for him. Red sox gave him a qualifying offer when we signed him, so he can't be given another. So its either trade him for something or let him walk and get nothing. 

If you are the GM here.  You look at one prospect you'd want from each (potential) team that you might covet and think would be a fair swap and if that name isn't in the deal, you say no thank you and work the draft.     Better than panicking.   I mean, the JD Martinez trade........they'd have been better off taking the extra draft pick (well most people would, anyway, maybe not the previous regime)

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

Can't get a pick for him. Red sox gave him a qualifying offer when we signed him, so he can't be given another. So its either trade him for something or let him walk and get nothing. 

Okay, but still.  If there isn't a guy you'd covet in the trade, then just say no.   Use the money you're saving in another capacity. Don't take junk just to take junk.    I want to give a shoutout to Jose King, Sergio Alcantara and Dawel Lugo........wherever they are. 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay, but still.  If there isn't a guy you'd covet in the trade, then just say no.   Use the money you're saving in another capacity. Don't take junk just to take junk.    I want to give a shoutout to Jose King, Sergio Alcantara and Dawel Lugo........wherever they are. 

isn't that a bit silly? The new guy will cost you a few grand. Hardly anything to prevent you from doing anything. Even if they suck in the long run isn't it better to take a chance on those guys instead of holding onto ERod for two months and maybe winning two games then he walks for nothing?

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

isn't that a bit silly? The new guy will cost you a few grand. Hardly anything to prevent you from doing anything. Even if they suck in the long run isn't it better to take a chance on those guys instead of holding onto ERod for two months and maybe winning two games then he walks for nothing?

They will probably have to put ERod and Lorenen together in one trade - and thus likely a 3 way, in order to get one solid piece back.

This is exaclty where we find out if Harris has the stuff to bring this team back to prominence or not. He has to be able to win in all three phrases - drafting and development, FA, and trading. If  he can't produce some useful return out such a golden opportunity as ERod an Lorenzen represent,  we are doomed.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Harris should trade ERod, Lorenzen, Cisnero and Schreve; and listen to offers on just about anyone; one (or more) of the trades will turn out to be a complete dud, but that is just how it works; DD made some bad trades; you need to be confident that more trades will help you, than hurt you (with some just being neutral)

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is exaclty where we find out if Harris has the stuff to bring this team back to prominence or not. He has to be able to win in all three phrases - drafting and development, FA, and trading. If  he can't produce some useful return out such a golden opportunity as ERod an Lorenzen represent,  we are doomed.

He got a good return for two bullpen pieces last winter.

https://www.redlegnation.com/2023/07/30/cincinnati-reds-reportedly-interested-in-tigers-pitcher-eduardo-rodriguez/

The Cincinnati Reds are interested in Detroit Tigers left-handed starting pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez according to Mike Rodriguez.

I think the tigers and reds match up nicely in a trade. I’d do something like Arroyo, Rece Hinds, Dunn, and Acosta for ERod and Lorenzen. I think that’s fair. Arroyo is a top 50 prospect in mlb. Hinds has very high level power and started making more contact this year, Acosta is a young starter with good stuff, and Dunn is MIF prospect that has shot up 3 levels this year while tearing the cover off of the ball. If this trade got it done I actually wouldn’t feel great about it as a Reds fan, but would set the Reds up well for rest of the year to make the postseason. Marte and Petty are untouchable in my eyes. I really would prefer not to trade Richardson and Phillips. I could see Collier getting moved as well. 

Edited by RedTeamGo!

34 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am thinking there is a decent chance they get Rodriguez to stay in exchange for a better contract.  Maybe an extra year or two.  I'd prefer that to the likely return in a trade.   

Kind of disappointed in what Montgomery brought back.  Makes me wonder if this is an option.

40 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am thinking there is a decent chance they get Rodriguez to stay in exchange for a better contract.  Maybe an extra year or two.  I'd prefer that to the likely return in a trade.   

IDK - I was thinking that a couple of weeks ago. But since then it feels like the probability of more moves has gone up.