2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

27 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

moving on from Candy was logical and missing out on having DJ Herz and Kevin Made join the Tigers system is something we can all survive

no disagreement.  i was merely observing how the cubs traded jeimer six years ago at this time, and now they're trading for him at this time

28 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

moving on from Candy was logical and missing out on having DJ Herz and Kevin Made join the Tigers system is something we can all survive

And at a higher price tag, the Tigers wouldn't have even gotten that on the deal.

25 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe Evan Woodbury should be GM lol

I couldn't help myself, ended up engaging him on it.

The moves to replace Candy are fair game, but the decision to move on was fine. And as Ed suggests, the return would have been more minimal at $7mil even.

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Spoiler: They are going to get a bunch of guys most of us have never heard of before.  We'll look up their stats and ranks and not be impressed.  The prospect hounds will pump up one of the players and we'll feel better.  That guy will not develop into anything, but one of the others will turn out to be pretty good.  

Prospect hounds.  That’s pretty good.

59 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe Evan Woodbury should be GM lol

I don’t know what his opinion was at the time.  Had he been all in at the time, quoting that tweet would have been a better move.

In my opinion, keeping/cutting was around a 50/50 proposition.  I was fine with bringing him back, even at arbitration rates given how his 2022 was clearly a floor for him and thinking a rebound would have been possible.  I didn’t think he’d rebound like this, and I kind of doubt anyone did.  Good for Candelario, he’s resurrected his career and might be looking at guaranteed multiple seasons this winter.

And as for the replacements, well, sure, can’t hide from those numbers.  So we’re comparing peak Candelario to valley Candelario.  Of course with hindsight anyone can jump on the bandwagon now.

1 minute ago, Clinkeroo said:

I’m ok if nothing happens.  The gamble is we either get a good return by Harris’ standards, or we get to watch two more months of entertaining pitching.

I’d rather have that than some pathetic batch of AAAA middle infielders.

And the justification begins...

11 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Oh by the way...why is Shane Greene pitching for the Cubs in the Arizona Complex League?

Signed in June and I think got hurt trying to get ready after missing spring so it's back to square 1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, it was a pretty underwhelming return, but it says a lot for the valuation that teams around baseball put on him despite his baseball card stats.

This is a pitchers’ deadline. Teams aren’t paying for hitting. Either way, I think a “pretty underwhelming return” beats a goose egg every day.

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

would you trade parker meadows, colt keith, and wilmer flores for luis robert?

I would not put Keith in that deal.

It will be interesting to see if Harris does move any prospects for a controllable major leaguer.  None of these are his guys, so hard to gauge how much he and his player development staff values them.

2 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'd rather have kept JD than traded him for the junk that came back in return.  Let the fans enjoy him, probably get a draft pick?  Getting something for JD was not better than zero.

Agree.  Nats fans can be happy they had Candy on their team until now, but have to be bummed with the return.  Makes you wonder why Washington didn’t keep him  and try and sign him beyond this season?