2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

Just now, RatkoVarda said:

I say this as a life-long Tiger fan: why would any player reject a trade to the LAD, a great organization that is currently in first place yet again, and going to the playoff for the 11th straight year? why?

It might be a negotiating ploy. The right to block a trade is a neat point of leverage for the player to get something extra from the buying team, or maybe even the selling team. After, if he wanted to stay here, all he had to do is agree to go to the Dodgers for two months, play in the playoffs, maybe win a ring, and then sign an extension with us in the offseason after opting out. But nooooo ...

One thing I know for sure: if he doesn't move in the next hour, it's going to be awful uncomfortable for everyone involved, him sticking around an organization that just tried to get rid of him.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Yeah you would think before working on a trade to someone on his list you’d find out if he was going to wave his NTC

Wouldn't you want to make sure you get a trade you wanted before going to a player and being like what to do you think?

Why go to him before you have a deal you like? You already know what teams are on his no-trade.

Edited by KL2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It might be a negotiating ploy. The right to block a trade is a neat point of leverage for the player to get something extra from the buying team, or maybe even the selling team. After, if he wanted to stay here, all he had to do is agree to go to the Dodgers for two months, play in the playoffs, maybe win a ring, and then sign an extension with us in the offseason after opting out. But nooooo ...

One thing I know for sure: if he doesn't move in the next hour, it's going to be awful uncomfortable for everyone involved, him sticking around an organization that just tried to get rid of him.

Deals have been resurrected from the dead before too, hence why it can be a useful negotiating ploy. Especially for a team like the Dodgers, who are pretty desperate for pitching 

Not saying that happens here, obviously...

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, KL2 said:

Wouldn't you want to make sure you get a trade you wanted before going to a player and being like what to do you think?

Why go to him before you have a deal you like? You already know what teams are on his no-trade.

Because its a waste of time if he nixes it… I think you can do both at the same time Harris isnt working alone

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Yeah you would think before working on a trade to someone on his list you’d find out if he was going to wave his NTC

you assume people are rational actors; not agreeing to go to play for one of the best sporting franchises on planet earth, and play in the playoffs is not a rational choice. I think the Tigers treated him well last Summer when he split on the team; maybe he sees it differently

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toddwert said:

Because its a waste of time if he nixes it… I think you can do both at the same time Harris isnt working alone

maybe he did. You don't know that he waited till it was all complete reviewed meds then went to E-Rod. Also what do you expected Harris to do beforehand? He knows E-Rod has him on the no trade. He might have given him a heads up, but when they finally reached a deal went to E-Rod to see and he said no. 

Edited by KL2

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't like that outcome.

I'm hoping he's trying to get someone to extend him in the trade and/or he'd rather play closer to home in Baltimore. Or who knows, maybe he needs LA needs to extend him to get him.

I usually assume it's all about the money, but given the personal problems he had last year, being close to home certainly could be an important consideration for him.  

• Like 2