2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

Gotta believe this entire deal collapsed this afternoon. Why would Harris stay quiet about it if it fell through days ago? At this point it is a very bad look for him. Had it happened days ago, he’d have had time to go in another direction. 

So today’s haul is a High A minor leaguer. 

Just now, 1776 said:

Gotta believe this entire deal collapsed this afternoon. Why would Harris stay quiet about it if it fell through days ago? At this point it is a very bad look for him. Had it happened days ago, he’d have had time to go in another direction. 

Pretty underwhelming 

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am going to assume that the Tigers will now extend Rodriguez and he'll be a Tiger for the next 4 or 5 years.  Harris won't just let him go for nothing.  This is not a bad outcme in my opinion.    

How can they possibly commit longterm to him?    

He went AWOL last year and neglected to communicate with the team.  Still, they stood by him and even paid him without challenge.  This year, he refuses a trade to play for a contender in a playoff race.  How can any competitive athlete just straight out reject the opportunity to play meaningful games in a playoff race?   Mind boggling.  

This guy is a piece of work and is not someone that you build a culture of winning around.   They are best to just take the draft pick and let this headcase be someone else’s problem in the future.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not defending Harris failure to trade Eduardo as being a good thing—it's definitely not—but I think most of us understood that he was always going to be a more difficult trade than Lorenzen was. The deal we signed saddled us with a guy who would be a rental if he pitched well for a new team, and four more years at 60-some million if he either did poorly or went down Tommy John-style. That's a big risk for a buying team.

I also wonder what role Eduardo's agent played in this whole drama. It's not as though Harris was dealing directly with Eduardo during the negotiations—he was almost certainly dealing through Eduardo's agent, who might have been on a very different page than he should have been throughout this. He might have been leading Harris to pursue a deal with LA for reasons such as he thought he could sell it through to the pitcher. And as we learned during last year's ghosting incident, the agent, Gene Mato, is not exactly the most high-powered buttoned-down agent in the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

He went AWOL last year and neglected to communicate with the team.  Still, they stood by him and even paid him without challenge.  This year, he refuses a trade to play for a contender in a playoff race.  How can any competitive athlete just straight out reject the opportunity to play meaningful games in a playoff race?   Mind boggling.  

This guy is a piece of work and is not someone that you build a culture of winning around.   They are best to just take the draft pick and let this headcase be someone else’s problem in the future.  

You make excellent points, but there is no trade pick or any other compensation if he opts out.

Just now, chasfh said:

Not defending Harris failure to trade Eduardo as being a good thing—it's definitely not—but I think most of us understood that he was always going to be a more difficult trade than Lorenzen was.

Maybe most of us realized it... the folks on Twitter, OTOH

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I agree with your timeline, although had it collapsed days ago, I'm pretty sure Harris would not have blabbed that to the media.

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There very well may have been a very good reason for him leaving the team last year.  I will let the players decide whether or not he is a good teammate.  Lefty pitchers tend to be a little odd. 

Personally, I view wanting to stay with you team for the long term (if that's the case) as more honorable than wanting to play in a pennant race which you did nothing to create  

Just now, Tiger337 said:

There very well may have been a very good reason for him leaving the team last year.  I will let the players decide whether or not he is a good teammate.  Lefty pitchers tend to be a little odd. 

Personally, I view wanting to stay with you team for the long term (if that's the case) as more honorable than wanting to play in a pennant race which you did nothing to create  

He also has all the  bargaining power with the Tigers now 

Just now, Tiger337 said:

Once Tiger fans boo him relentlessly, we’ll see how much he wants to really stay.

• Sad 1

Just now, Dtrain72 said:

I mean, the same excuses made for Al's early tenure of awfulness, are now being made for Harris...sooooo, maybe Scotty shoulda hired a GM🤷‍♂️

How in the hell would gm in name only made a difference?

3 minutes ago, VegasTiger said:

For all we know the Tigers and E-rod may have been using the Dodgers as leverage to get more from Baltimore. When it didn't work, they bailed.

I think it's between this and ERod's agent believing he would waive the no-trade clause. There's no way any half-competent GM would negotiate with a team on a no-trade list in good faith unless it was either for leverage against another team or he genuinely was led to believe the no-trade clause wasn't an impediment. Especially not to the point of a deal apparently being made.

• Like 1