2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

us: it was such a bad idea to trade jd martinez for the poo poo platter.

also us: how could we not trade erod for whatever waa being offered?

Yep, there's no doubt I'm disappointed in not trading E-Rod but without knowing what was offered it's hard to rake Harris over the coals for not trading him. Even if you don't get a draft pick at the end of the year you still don't want to just accept anything for him as there is some value having him the next two months.  For starters It gives you two months of exclusive negotiating time if you do want to extend him, also you never know with ERod just cause it seems like he may opt out it's not a guarantee so you may get to keep him at a reasonable rate for the next few years.  

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep, there's no doubt I'm disappointed in not trading E-Rod but without knowing what was offered it's hard to rake Harris over the coals for not trading him. Even if you don't get a draft pick at the end of the year you still don't want to just accept anything for him as there is some value having him the next two months.  For starters It gives you two months of exclusive negotiating time if you do want to extend him, also you never know with ERod just cause it seems like he may opt out it's not a guarantee so you may get to keep him at a reasonable rate for the next few years.  

Agree—I have no interest in helping out another team by giving up a good major leaguer for org depth.  We’ve done that way too many times. 

56 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, now I don't know what I want regarding Eduardo Rodriguez. I don't want six years of him. I don't really even want four years of him. I don't want Harris to go overboard Avila-style trying to justify not trading him by overpaying him. I don't want Eduardo to walk away for nothing.

In any event, I'm going to get something I don't want here.

This, right here, is the post ot the year! Congratulations!

I don't believe he'll be open to discussing an extension... just guessing... but also, I don't think the Tigers are interested in "extension" talks either... IMO. Maybe they would be open to buying out his option if that's a possibility...

But I don't think so.

And I don't believe he'd be open to that either. IMO.

They just tried to trade him to LA where he DEFINITELY did not want to play.

He's opting out at the end of this season.

We get nothing.

Except the beauty of his remaining starts for 2023...

IMO.

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have never understood why it is considered honorable to participate in a pennant which you had nothing to do with creating.  It's probably more fun, but it also seems kind of cheap.  That part doesn't bother me at all.  I am less sure about the other issue as I don't know the reasons for his absence, but I don't want to assume the worst.  

It’s about wanting to compete and win.  That should mean something as an athlete.  If it doesn’t then he’s just cashing paychecks.  

I’m not understanding the first part about honor in a pennant. The most important 1/3 of the season still remains and any marquee player traded today will have a big impact on if their new team makes the playoffs.  It’s not like someone’s just getting added to the roster at the end of the season,  the pennant race is just getting started.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s about wanting to compete and win.  That should mean something as an athlete.  If it doesn’t then he’s just cashing paychecks.  

I’m not understanding the first part about honor in a pennant. The most important 1/3 of the season still remains and any marquee player traded today will have a big impact on if their new team makes the playoffs.  It’s not like someone’s just getting added to the roster at the end of the season,  the pennant race is just getting started.  

And too many people confuse a division title as a pennant. Winning the pennant means winning the American League. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

Maybe he wants the challenge of some day winning in Detroit with teamates that he knows.  The Dodgers are probably going to make the playoffs without him, so I don't see where joining a team that is already good is a great accomplishment.  I know most athletes would choose that but it seems hollow to me.     

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

There you go

I do NOT want to see an Eduardo extension.

A buyout of his option, YES.

An extension, NO.

But, also...

I'm going to take this with a huge grain of salt... until I see otherwise.

It seems like window-dressing after the fact (of the miss at the deadline...).

But we'll see...

We don’t know what happened but it seems he was focusing on Baltimore and their GM was not budging so left with little options he gambled Erod would waive the no trade. 

It’s also possible the industry is wary of Erod after last season and his commitment level. Yes the 3 years is low but still too high if the player has questionable tendencies. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

And getting maximal value means taking risks, sticking your neck out. And that comes with a downside.

It's hard to strike that right balance of needing to acquire talent and not just being rolled by orgs into accepting inferior talent. It is entirely possible the Dodgers were the only ones who were offering what they felt he was worth.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Tigers only hope is for him to not optout and help lure a couple of quality free agents here with all the money coming off the books. So, keep Rodriguez, find some players to come here, spend the necessary money. We'll see where the bottleneck appears. Was it Ivan Rodriguez or Magglio that helped the Tigers get some other players aboard?

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

And getting maximal value means taking risks, sticking your neck out. And that comes with a downside.

It's hard to strike that right balance of needing to acquire talent and not just being rolled by orgs into accepting the next best thing. It is entirely possible the Dodgers were the only ones who were offering what they felt he was worth.

I can live with this possibility however...

That Harris stuck to his guns and wouldn't accept an unacceptable trade.

And maybe they are more serious about holding onto Eduardo (and he has mutual feelings) than what I have in my head...

We'll see.

But... still... The White Sox, Mets, and Cardinals traded two Starting pitchers each, along with relievers and sundry other players... Harris couldn't squeeze out any acceptable offer from any other team aside from the Dodgers?

That is disappointing.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers only hope is for him to not optout and help lure a couple of quality free agents here with all the money coming off the books. So, keep Rodriguez, find some players to come here, spend the necessary money. We'll see where the bottleneck appears. Was it Ivan Rodriguez or Magglio that helped the Tigers get some other players aboard?

I'm wary of reading too much into the ERod extension situation, but I definitely do think people underestimate the idea that he would stick around under the right circumstances. Especially given that the org did right by him with whatever happened in 2022 in his personal life.

I do hope they work something out. He's a positive to have with this young pitching staff for a few more years.

• Like 1

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

I can live with this possibility however...

That Harris stuck to his guns and wouldn't accept an unacceptable trade.

And maybe they are more serious about holding onto Eduardo (and he has mutual feelings) than what I have in my head...

We'll see.

But... still... The White Sox, Mets, and Cardinals traded two Starting pitchers each, along with relievers and sundry other players... Harris couldn't squeeze out any acceptable offer from any other team aside from the Dodgers?

That is disappointing.

I do think we, collectively, underestimated the complications presented by ERod's contract. Which is a differentiator from some of the other pitchers traded, some of whom were pure rentals.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mtutiger said:

I do think we, collectively, underestimated the complications presented by ERod's contract. Which is a differentiator from some of the other pitchers traded, some of whom were pure rentals.

I'll say this again...

I would be VERY OK with buying out his option. What's he have left? 3 years? So $30 mill gives him a $10 mill/ year bump as it seems he is VERY underpaid at the level his current contract runs given the level of excellence he is currently pitching at...

But I am really NOT as enthused for an extension. In fact, very much against that...