2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

ERod has shown in his 2 years here that he only cares about what’s best for him. The team is secondary.  That won’t change if the Tigers sign him to a long term deal.  I’m not sure why thats a good idea for a young team trying to build a solid winning foundation for the future.  As Mike Singletary said “Can’t win with those guys”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

ERod has shown in his 2 years here that he only cares about what’s best for him. The team is secondary.  That won’t change if the Tigers sign him to a long term deal.  I’m not sure why thats a good idea for a young team trying to build a solid winning foundation for the future.  As Mike Singletary said “Can’t win with those guys”

Joey Wentz and Beau Brieske aren't building a solid winning foundation for the future either!

• Like 1

In a sport like baseball and especially at a position like pitcher I'm not as concerned with them "only caring about themselves" as I would be in other sports/positions. It's not like say in basketball where if a player is like that he may hog the ball or just disrupt the overall flow of the offense or defense. 

In baseball even if the pitcher truly is like that him only being out for himself doesn't effect the other guys around him on the field. He just goes out there and tries to get the opposing batter out and then go back to the dugout, him not caring about the players around him doesn't really alter anything or the overall objective of the rest of the team. 

And this is assuming he is really like that, it's hard to not be upset with how he handled things last year but this year it seems like he is a different player and the coaches and teammates all seem to like and get along with him. 

13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I dont necessarily see it that way. And I dont think the players in the clubhouse see it that way.

We'll leave it at that. We've flogged the Jeimer horse to death, I'm not going to exhume the debate over ERod's personal life either.

We don't know what Rodriguez is telling the Tigers privately, do we?    

I still don't mind the fact that Harris set a price with the teams he spoke to - they didn't meet the price, so he stood firm.   In the future maybe teams will understand that he's not bluffing when he said "I want this or this or it's no deal"

Honestly, would it benefit the team to trade him for the type of lousy deal Al used to get?   No, not at all.  Teams knew they could sucker Al into giving in and takin anything.   I don't want to be the team that just takes on garbage just to take anything.     I'm really not that disappointed in today and people calling Harris failure before his first season is over are just ridiculous.    It's still about 2025/26.   If they don't show improvement at all by 2025 then I will start to call him a failure.    

It is going to be quite interesting with anywhere from $40 to $90 million off the payroll next year what they do.   If they want a star they'll have to overpay.  

Gotta give a team Exec/GM four years

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Have the Yankee make any moves. Possible east coast team in play.

I heard on MLB radio during the last trading hour that of the 30 teams, all 29 teams not nicknamed Yankees have made a trade more recently than the Yankees.  I damn near fell off of my bike when I heard that.

Whether it involves an extension or just a buy out, the only way to preserve roster value with ERod now is some kind of deal to keep him from opting out. I don't have any objection on baseball grounds, he's a reasonable piece of a rotation and it's hard to escape the feeling that the apparent pitching depth we see right now is going to evaporate into career ending (re)injuries.

Edited by gehringer_2

34 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'll say this again...

I would be VERY OK with buying out his option. What's he have left? 3 years? So $30 mill gives him a $10 mill/ year bump as it seems he is VERY underpaid at the level his current contract runs given the level of excellence he is currently pitching at...

But I am really NOT as enthused for an extension. In fact, very much against that...

I agree. Long term contracts can hinder a team. But it's the market now. If you want quality veteran arms, you'll have to pay them the going rate.

Henning does Henning and suggests that Eduardo agreed to the dodgers deal initially then backed out. Can’t tell if that’s his opinion or a sourced allegation.  

All the reasons people give for having to trade him are considerations team have to make in receiving him and what that price will be. 

28 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I dont necessarily see it that way. And I dont think the players in the clubhouse see it that way.

We'll leave it at that. We've flogged the Jeimer horse to death, I'm not going to exhume the debate over ERod's personal life either.

Nothing wrong with that at all.  The reality is we are dealing with so many unknowns regarding what’s really happened with Erod that any opinion is based on so much assumption that may or may not turn out to be true in the future.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

We don’t know what happened but it seems he was focusing on Baltimore and their GM was not budging so left with little options he gambled Erod would waive the no trade. 

It’s also possible the industry is wary of Erod after last season and his commitment level. Yes the 3 years is low but still too high if the player has questionable tendencies. 

We just might find out about that in a few months.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

And getting maximal value means taking risks, sticking your neck out. And that comes with a downside.

It's hard to strike that right balance of needing to acquire talent and not just being rolled by orgs into accepting inferior talent. It is entirely possible the Dodgers were the only ones who were offering what they felt he was worth.

If that is the case, if all other offers were of JD Martinez return for whatever reason, then I'm alright with Harris opting for the much better deal even if there's more risk involved.  I'm fine with Harris expecting a minimum return, and if that return ain't happening, then the trade ain't happening.  Let the other GMs know you aren't going to be a pushover now or in the future.

It has been mentioned several times by others, but I think it bears repeating.  We don't know everything that went on behind the scenes.  Its possible that the Dodger deal was closer to happening than the eventual result suggests.  His side might have led the Tigers and Dodgers on to thinking a deal could be made, to whatever degree that possibility was, he might not have said 100% no.  We simply don't know.

22 minutes ago, oblong said:

Henning does Henning and suggests that Eduardo agreed to the dodgers deal initially then backed out. Can’t tell if that’s his opinion or a sourced allegation.  

All the reasons people give for having to trade him are considerations team have to make in receiving him and what that price will be. 

We know what Henning will be talking about for the next five years.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

If that is the case, if all other offers were of JD Martinez return for whatever reason, then I'm alright with Harris opting for the much better deal even if there's more risk involved.  I'm fine with Harris expecting a minimum return, and if that return ain't happening, then the trade ain't happening.  Let the other GMs know you aren't going to be a pushover now or in the future.

It has been mentioned several times by others, but I think it bears repeating.  We don't know everything that went on behind the scenes.  Its possible that the Dodger deal was closer to happening than the eventual result suggests.  His side might have led the Tigers and Dodgers on to thinking a deal could be made, to whatever degree that possibility was, he might not have said 100% no.  We simply don't know.

That’s fine but where is Plan B where is the trade for Cisneros, Lange, Foley, Shreve or anyone not named Greene… when your system has so little hitting and you dont do anything your really missing out on a chance to upgrade that’s what makes me frustrated