2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

is there another pitcher with a situation analogous to Eduardo's that did get moved for decent return? I don't know, I'm asking. If there is, then yes, I am on board with assigning some blame to Harris here. If not—if Eduardo's situation is unique in terms of his contract details regarding opt-outs and team's skittishness to absorb it, even setting aside flaky behavior—then I'm loathe to hammer Harris for not being able to trade him for a solid return.

I think Harris has showed that when he is dealing with a standard situation, such as a straight rental for a good player, he's able to convert it acceptably in a way the prior guy simply couldn't.

Los Angeles was ready to make a deal which Harris wanted.  It is hard to believe another team would not have made a deal.  Rodriguez seems like a difficult person with which to deal.  If all people were easy, all jobs would be easy!

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I get that Scott Harris might have been screwed over by ERod if and when he changed his mind at the last minute and didn't want to go to LA. That's not on Harris at all and I genuinely feel bad for him. The player has the right to change their mind, but you have to be open and upfront about it. 

However, what I do believe does fall on him is not having a backup plan/back up team to fall back on. If ERod did veto the trade then what was the the alternate plan for Harris? Has anyone seen a media report about Harris talking with another team, because I have not. That's where I think I have a core problem at having thought about this for the past 12 hours or so. He had to have been negotiating with someone other than the Dodgers no?

I guess if he opts in and stays or gives us the chance to trade him in the offseason, then all this bluster and frustration is for not. And if ERod wants to opt in, I think we would all collectively better if he announced his intentions to do so sooner rather than later.

Perhaps the back up plan at that point was to hope for the opt in ?

Question: if E Rod opts out, and becomes a free agent, do we get a draft pick from the team that signs him? I know we will have to offer him a qualified offer, but I don't know if we get that opportunity if a player opts out of an existing contract.

4 minutes ago, CMU97 said:

Question: if E Rod opts out, and becomes a free agent, do we get a draft pick from the team that signs him? I know we will have to offer him a qualified offer, but I don't know if we get that opportunity if a player opts out of an existing contract.

No

6 minutes ago, CMU97 said:

no; a player can only be given a QO once; Boston already offered him one; which is why Tigers lost their 3rd round pick in 2022 draft; otherwise, yes they could have given him a QO. If he leaves, they get nothing.

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

no; a player can only be given a QO once; Boston already offered him one; which is why Tigers lost their 3rd round pick in 2022 draft; otherwise, yes they could have given him a QO. If he leaves, they get nothing.

Thank you very much for the explanation.  Greatly appreciated. 

46 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Maybe it isnt about flying but be able to call home or have your family watch your games could be something to do with time zones who knows

This, but at the same time unless something has changed LAX is probably the worst airport I've ever flown into/out of. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

As noted by KDog in the Tiger's cub thread, the Tigers cleared space at AAA for one position player and one pitcher by temporarily sending Faedo and Sands to Eries. Not a bad guess the return from the Dodgers would have been AAA guy(s).

Faedo was coming to Detroit if erod was traded, not sure what they were doing with Sands, but it's logical he was also coming up to the big club, so you can speculate about that. They were just staged in Erie. No reason to make those moves in advance for minor league purposes.

Edited by Longgone

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

This, but at the same time unless something has changed LAX is probably the worst airport I've ever flown into/out of. 

This. LAX is third world nightmare. It takes up to 30 minutes after getting there to crawl through traffic to your terminal. That’s after the nightmare of the 405. Then the TSA line ? Forget it !!

In summary I do not blame Harris for what happened. It’s on Erod and his agent for me. But it’s still a disappointment and missed opportunity and Harris isn’t blameless either. And I agree with those who call for a GM hire so back channels and secondary options get more attention.

I hope he doesn’t get hurt and opts out. Too much drama and I bet many teams told Harris just that these past few days. 

20 hours ago, chasfh said:

OK, now I don't know what I want regarding Eduardo Rodriguez. I don't want six years of him. I don't really even want [three] years of him. I don't want Harris to go overboard Avila-style trying to justify not trading him by overpaying him. I don't want Eduardo to walk away for nothing.

In any event, I'm going to get something I don't want here.

I've decided that I am rooting for Eduardo to opt in for the final three years, so when we sell him at next year's deadline, there is cost certainty for the acquiring team. I would also be OK accepting less than blue chip prospects in return for him, assuming he's not having an All-Star season.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Los Angeles was ready to make a deal which Harris wanted.  It is hard to believe another team would not have made a deal. 

In terms of stature and payroll, the Dodgers are in a different category than some of the other clubs that were linked to ERod. 

It is possible they were uniquely suited and more willing to take on the contract and whatever risk came with it than Baltimore or Cincinnati were.

Edited by mtutiger