2024 Draft

55 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

... There are two guys that I want more than any other available (Chernyshov and Elick), and one more that I'd "settle" for in the top 3 picks of the 2nd: Badinka.

Those 3 in the top 4 picks of the 2nd...

Rats.

smaller wing (5'11...so not THAT small)  "cerebral", good to great passer.  was rated by most as a 3rd or 4th rounder except for button who had him as an early 2nd.

Edited by buddha

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Red Wings #80: Ondrej Becher, 20 yo LH'ed C. 6'1" 185 #'s. Elite speed and defense. 2-way C with excellent passing/ playmaking: 32 G's and 98 points in the WHL 2023-24.

From The Hockey News:

https://thehockeynews.com/whl/players/2024-nhl-draft-profile-ondrej-becher

After being passed over in the last two drafts, Becher is projected to finally hear his name called by an NHL team. The Czechian winger had a season to remember, recording 96 points in 58 games while also representing his country at the 2024 World Juniors. A player who has an impact on the game at both ends of the ice, he has developed into an intriguing prospect this season.

Before discussing his offensive ability, Becher's defensive game needs to be recognized. He is excellent at blocking shots and creates turnovers at a high rate. As for his positioning, Becher understands where he needs to be at all times, making it a frustrating task for the opposition to try and generate chances when he is on the ice.

As for the offensive zone, Becher thrives with the puck on his stick. While he can score, he is a high-end playmaker who can set up teammates in scoring positions. Becher is also a master in the transition game, as he knows whether the best option is to pass the puck off to a teammate or carry it into the offensive zone himself.

The biggest knock against Becher is his age. While most players are just turning 18, Becher is already 20 and is only now bursting onto the scene. He arguably should be ranked higher, but the fact that this is Becher's third draft may see him fall further than he should.

If Becher continues to develop, he has the potential to be a middle-six forward at the NHL level who can help out on special teams. As for the draft, he is projected to be selected after the third round and, most likely, before the fifth. One of the most well-rounded players available, he has the potential to light up the WHL once again if he returns for the 2024-25 campaign.

• Like 2

I don't know what anyone else thinks about Plante...

But he gives me Berggren vibes: Not quite good enough on D = Not quite good enough. Great playmaker but... what else is there? To make him an NHL'er I mean...

Just a vibe...

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'll take a swing here:

My low-round (non-first-two-rounds) guy to surprise and make the Wings is now Becher.

Love the profile. 

Sounds like we may have gotten a steal here. I haven't watched a minute of tape on the kid, but based on the scouting report you shared I'm excited.

I see the Red Wings are getting a lot of B grades. They didn't get anyone with massively elite skills but they got multiple "solid" players. Seems more like a depth draft I guess. 

(One article said the Goalie could turn out to be pretty good. So now I guess we have three Goalie Prospects and maybe Augustine becomes available in a trade? Or too early....)

5 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I see the Red Wings are getting a lot of B grades. They didn't get anyone with massively elite skills but they got multiple "solid" players. Seems more like a depth draft I guess. 

(One article said the Goalie could turn out to be pretty good. So now I guess we have three Goalie Prospects and maybe Augustine becomes available in a trade? Or too early....)

way too early.  the odds of anyone outside of round two making it are low, outside of round 3 or 4 the chances are very very very slim.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

way too early.  the odds of anyone outside of round two making it are low, outside of round 3 or 4 the chances are very very very slim.

6th rounder Forslund actually sounds interesting though... 6'3" power forward scoring dude...

Probably all depends on how his skating is though. Too slow & he won't get anywhere & will be a huge defensive liability...

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

6th rounder Forslund actually sounds interesting though... 6'3" power forward scoring dude...

Probably all depends on how his skating is though. Too slow & he won't get anywhere & will be a huge defensive liability...

we say this every year and next to none of them work out.

i hope they do.  they all sound interesting to me too, but the odds are the odds.

After letting everything settle and reading up on guys, I'm very excited by their first two picks.  I think MBN's style of play is going to be a great addition to the Wings and Plante seems like a wildcard being called the best passer in the draft.