Training Camp and Preseason Games

TP_Fan

Spielman was a football player first and a broadcaster second. He was damned good at both. I think the #, name and college almost comes naturally to him. It also helps that he's employed by the Lions and has been very active in the current organization. Another one of Sheila's better moves.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Help me out here a bit. Watching a bit Friday night on my IPad, I was impressed with Jack Campbell, he reminds be a bit of a young Brian Urlacher. Am I seeing things? Or wishful thinking?

physically for sure.  i think campbell is probably bigger than urlacher at this stage.  urhlacher was a safety in college 

urlacher was also not very good as a rookie.  he really took off once they moved into a cover 2 and he could use his speed.

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah certainly too early to write him off but its hard not to get the feeling that this is just going to end up being a bust of a pick. Fortunately the Lions didn't give up too much to go get him but it still would sting a bit if it does indeed turn out to be a bust. 

Starting to feel a bit like Okudah 2.0. I'm not (quite) writing him off right now, but I'm dang close. 

I don’t get that feeling at all yet. I get the feeling that the Detroit sports talk media feels a need for a negative storyline and he’s been easy pickings.

When he touched the ball last season, good things happened. Yet he wasn’t extensively involved because we were in the midst of a playoff push and were trying to ease him in. This is effectively his rookie camp and rookie preseason. I don’t care that he was a first round pick, there were going to be growing pains.

If we get to the end of this season and in his 11 games he is the WR3 or WR4 in terms of production, there is no steady increase in production, or he is still consistently dropping passes, or he is continuing to get hurt, then maybe at that point he can be put on bust watch for me.

Right now though I just see a (practical) rookie who is a little immature. He’s just got too much talent for it to not shine through by the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Yet he wasn’t extensively involved because we were in the midst of a playoff push and were trying to ease him in.

I think that is pretty generous. Unless it was because his knee was still not 100%, his near total inability to contribute once he came back last season is red flag that's hard to ignore.

29 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Starting to feel a bit like Okudah 2.0. I'm not (quite) writing him off right now, but I'm dang close. 

Meh, I don't see the comparison. Okudah was actually not good on the field in addition to the injuries, Jamo hasn't played one NFL game relatively healthy quite yet (he wasn't last year) and hasn't even had a full TC and preseason yet. This season was always going to be his true rookie season.

I get the skepticism, it's impossible not to have some, but it's way too early to even consider him a write off.

Edited by NYLion

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

Meh, I don't see the comparison. Okudah was actually not good on the field in addition to the injuries, Jamo hasn't played one NFL game relatively healthy quite yet (he wasn't last year). 

I get the skepticism, it's impossible not to have some, but it's way too early to even consider him a write off.

The comparison isn't so much that Okudah and Jamo are having the exact same issues... it's more that there's just one thing after the other...

With Okudah it was: He's a rookie... he's got a bad coaching staff... he had nagging injuries... Oh wait this year, he's starting to look good-- BAM: Season ending injury. Okay this year he's starting to emerge as a true 1st round pick... and now he's dropping off to much he's a healthy scratch. And now he's traded for a 5th round pick and oh... look at he's injured again.

With Jamo: He's coming back from a huge injury. Okay, he's health and look at that a TD on his first catch! Oh, but no he's a non-factor for most of the reason of the season because he's still nursing an injury and he's learning still. But this year it's like an extra 1st round pick-- BAM: 6 game suspension. But we'll at least see him in training camp-- BAM: Out for the rest of camp with an injury.

In either case here, I'm not trying to blame the player. Injuries are mostly unavoidable... they can't help it when it happens. You can argue how much the gambling is the NFL's, the Lion's, or Jamo's fault. Not the end of the world by itself. So I'm not trying to dog on Jamo and say it's all attitude, or being fragile, or whatever. It's just the cumulative things that make me worry that there will always be the next thing that prevents Jamo from being what we were hoping we traded up for.

• Like 1

I think anyone even talking about bust is ridiculous.  This is the starting line. Everything before this was basically a free lesson.  Anything up to this point isn’t worth evaluating based on his knee injury.  His real evaluation begins in week 7. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I think anyone even talking about bust is ridiculous.  This is the starting line. Everything before this was basically a free lesson.  Anything up to this point isn’t worth evaluating based on his knee injury.  His real evaluation begins in week 7. 

He missed almost all of last year with an injury and then didn't show much in the little he did play. Now he starts this year off with a 6 game suspension and another injury that will knock him out of practice and preseason games. This is not trending in the right direction. We were already talking up Okudah and Levi as busts at this stage of the game, so why is Jamo so different?

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

The comparison isn't so much that Okudah and Jamo are having the exact same issues... it's more that there's just one thing after the other...

With Okudah it was: He's a rookie... he's got a bad coaching staff... he had nagging injuries... Oh wait this year, he's starting to look good-- BAM: Season ending injury. Okay this year he's starting to emerge as a true 1st round pick... and now he's dropping off to much he's a healthy scratch. And now he's traded for a 5th round pick and oh... look at he's injured again.

With Jamo: He's coming back from a huge injury. Okay, he's health and look at that a TD on his first catch! Oh, but no he's a non-factor for most of the reason of the season because he's still nursing an injury and he's learning still. But this year it's like an extra 1st round pick-- BAM: 6 game suspension. But we'll at least see him in training camp-- BAM: Out for the rest of camp with an injury.

In either case here, I'm not trying to blame the player. Injuries are mostly unavoidable... they can't help it when it happens. You can argue how much the gambling is the NFL's, the Lion's, or Jamo's fault. Not the end of the world by itself. So I'm not trying to dog on Jamo and say it's all attitude, or being fragile, or whatever. It's just the cumulative things that make me worry that there will always be the next thing that prevents Jamo from being what we were hoping we traded up for.

I don't want to agree with all this because I want Jamo to be a huge part of this offense's and team's success, but I do agree with it. If he's not trending into bust territory he's at minimum trending in the wrong direction and quickly.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think that is pretty generous. Unless it was because his knee was still not 100%, his near total inability to contribute once he came back last season is red flag that's hard to ignore.

Maybe so. Coming off a knee injury as a rookie though, I think it was fair for him to not be expected to be a world beater from day one. And it’s factual that he was not receiving WR2 snap count.

I think a lot of my frustration in considering him a potential bust is… when has he had a real opportunity to prove otherwise? He hasn’t been on the field! Okudah was on the field and he stunk, both before and after his injury. If you want to use the six game suspension against Jamo that’s fair (and a separate conversation), but not until he’s proven he’s not good on the field.