Training Camp and Preseason Games

TP_Fan

I was reading some comments on Pride of Detroit about the potential type of ACL surgery that Jamo had and whether or not it was a hamstring graft used to repair the ACL. One poster was saying that Jamo may have had a hamstring graft to repair his ACL. The poster was furthermore saying that on occasion, players who have a graft from the hamstring to repair their ACL can have reoccurring hamstring issues. I'm not medical expert, but I wonder what the percentage is of people who have a hamstring graft to repair a torn ACL and then have reoccurring hamstring issues. I also one the severity of those hamstring issues.

21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He missed almost all of last year with an injury and then didn't show much in the little he did play. Now he starts this year off with a 6 game suspension and another injury that will knock him out of practice and preseason games. This is not trending in the right direction. We were already talking up Okudah and Levi as busts at this stage of the game, so why is Jamo so different?

There is nothing to trend.  He shouldn’t have played at all last year.  Like I said, it was all free last year, just an opportunity to experience being in the NFL but nothing worth evaluating.  Good WRs have long careers, which is why talking bust on a guy who hasn’t played yet, which wasn’t really expected, is odd. The 6 game suspension sucks, but as we across the league, it’s not like he is the only one. That does talk his maturity, but as far as on field eval goes, his hour glass really starts week 7. He will be healthy and expected to make large contributions for the first time. 

38 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think a lot of my frustration in considering him a potential bust is… when has he had a real opportunity to prove otherwise? He hasn’t been on the field!

But for those of us expressing concern, that's part of the concern! You know the old cliché: The best ability is availability. Look, injuries aren't a players fault (for the most part). The suspension, as I said it's debatable who's fault it is. But regardless of who is or isn't to blame, Jamo has seen very little in game action and won't see anymore until week 7.

As of right now we've got exactly 1 catch for 41 yards (TD) and 1 run for 40 yards out of a mid-first round draft pick made last year and that's all we'll get until October, at the soonest.

Again, I would love for y'all to come back to me at the end of the season and laugh at my concern. I just have this nagging doubt that we're going to get great production from this pick. I want to be wrong.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

The comparison isn't so much that Okudah and Jamo are having the exact same issues... it's more that there's just one thing after the other...

With Okudah it was: He's a rookie... he's got a bad coaching staff... he had nagging injuries... Oh wait this year, he's starting to look good-- BAM: Season ending injury. Okay this year he's starting to emerge as a true 1st round pick... and now he's dropping off to much he's a healthy scratch. And now he's traded for a 5th round pick and oh... look at he's injured again.

With Jamo: He's coming back from a huge injury. Okay, he's health and look at that a TD on his first catch! Oh, but no he's a non-factor for most of the reason of the season because he's still nursing an injury and he's learning still. But this year it's like an extra 1st round pick-- BAM: 6 game suspension. But we'll at least see him in training camp-- BAM: Out for the rest of camp with an injury.

In either case here, I'm not trying to blame the player. Injuries are mostly unavoidable... they can't help it when it happens. You can argue how much the gambling is the NFL's, the Lion's, or Jamo's fault. Not the end of the world by itself. So I'm not trying to dog on Jamo and say it's all attitude, or being fragile, or whatever. It's just the cumulative things that make me worry that there will always be the next thing that prevents Jamo from being what we were hoping we traded up for.

Jamo's only real football issues has been some drops in practice and taking a while to get on the same page with the QB. Last season was a complete write off, they hardly even ran any plays for him because he just wasn't ready due to the injury and lack of practice time.

The suspension is completely bogus, the NFL has suspended actual criminal activity for less games. It wasn't even like he bet on NFL games, the NFL caught him on a technicality. Sure not the smartest move on his part but a fart in the wind really.

I'm not here to tell you that there isn't any reason to be concerned but this is far from bust territory currently. There just isn't much of a sample size, on the field, that he doesn't have what it takes as opposed to Okudah who had a much larger sample size of not being able to cut it. The injuries are a bit of a concern though but at least he wasn't going to be playing the games anyway so he should be good to go once the ridiculous suspension is over.

Edited by NYLion

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think that is pretty generous. Unless it was because his knee was still not 100%, his near total inability to contribute once he came back last season is red flag that's hard to ignore.

They didn't run plays for him, you can clearly see that in real time. He was a decoy essentially. Whether that's because of him not being 100% healthy or just not having enough practice time under his belt to get to know the offense yet I don't know but there was a reason why he didn't contribute, because he wasn't being targeted, involved in the gameplan.

It’s crazy to think that Jamo played only 25 total college games in 3 years and it looks like he will max out at 16 pro games in 2 years.   41 total games in 5 years of football and some of those were definitely as just a decoy.

Sure, he needs to start contributing soon but he’s still just a baby in football years.  

Edited by Hongbit

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

It’s crazy to think that Jamo played only 25 total college games in 3 years and it looks like he will max out at 16 pro games in 2 years.   41 total games in 5 years of football and some of those were definitely as just a decoy.

Sure, he needs to start contributing soon but he’s still just a baby in football years.  

with much fewer bruises, but he kind of needs to make something happen this year.       Now the Lions will be likely trying to find another WR before the season starts.     HEY, THIS IS THE YEAR TRINITY BENSON FINALLY SHOWS WHY THEY TRADED FOR HIM !!!!

10 hours ago, NYLion said:

They didn't run plays for him, you can clearly see that in real time. He was a decoy essentially. Whether that's because of him not being 100% healthy or just not having enough practice time under his belt to get to know the offense yet I don't know but there was a reason why he didn't contribute, because he wasn't being targeted, involved in the gameplan.

Correct, but you're describing a symptom, not necessarily a cause. If he was still physically unable to go hard because of the knee, or that they didn't want him getting tackled, that is one thing, but he had no excuse not to know the offense if that was an issue. So it reads whichever way, depending.  For now his coach is still talking him up. As long as he doesn't burn that bridge he'll have the chance to prove himself. 

18 hours ago, NYLion said:

they ran plays for him in the first preseason game and he didnt look great.  he dropped a td pass and he may have ran the wrong route which caused an int.  7 targets for 2 receptions.

sure its just a preseason game, but lets not pretend that he's set the world on fire.

compare him to christian watson, garrett wilson, chris olave, drake london, jahan dotson, george pickens, skyy moore, alec pierce, treylon burke.

he's looked worse and been less productive than almost all of his peers.  its still very early, but he isnt playing because of injury or suspension and when he does he isnt producing as much as his peers.

To me when I brought up the bust tag it was more just a feeling than based on substance. I mean basically everything has gone wrong since he got here.

First off just drafting a WR rehabbing from a major injury is risky in itself but we did it. Then when he returned he didn't really produce, his one breakout play on prime time against the Packers of course ended up being called a penalty so it was erased. 

Then he gets hit with the whole gambling thing but the silver lining was atleast he was gonna be able to get reps in preseason and practice but of course he drops a big pass in his preseason opener and then gets injured nullifying the silver lining of getting preseason reps.

Its just like everything that could go wrong has and that's why I get the "feeling" that things just aren't going to work out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have seen some chatter on Twitter to bring back Kenny G. Loved that guy in Detroit crazy how he fell off like a light switch.

I wouldn't be opposed to heavily incentive laden contract where we basically pay him league minimum plus big performance bonuses. But don't give him a bunch of money or a long term contract.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Correct, but you're describing a symptom, not necessarily a cause. If he was still physically unable to go hard because of the knee, or that they didn't want him getting tackled, that is one thing, but he had no excuse not to know the offense if that was an issue. So it reads whichever way, depending.  For now his coach is still talking him up. As long as he doesn't burn that bridge he'll have the chance to prove himself. 

That's probably my biggest concern with him but I think that can be corrected with reps and maturity. 

I will say this, if he can't correct these issues with the leadership the Lions have in place coaches and players (in particular St. Brown and Raymond in that receiver room) then there's no hope for him. I'm still in wait and see mode because he hasn't really had a chance to play but I can understand the concern.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, buddha said:

they ran plays for him in the first preseason game and he didnt look great.  he dropped a td pass and he may have ran the wrong route which caused an int.  7 targets for 2 receptions.

sure its just a preseason game, but lets not pretend that he's set the world on fire.

compare him to christian watson, garrett wilson, chris olave, drake london, jahan dotson, george pickens, skyy moore, alec pierce, treylon burke.

he's looked worse and been less productive than almost all of his peers.  its still very early, but he isnt playing because of injury or suspension and when he does he isnt producing as much as his peers.

Those guys were healthy and able to get on the field, he hasn't had his chance yet for a multitude of reasons. He did drop that one pass but he was open, he seems to get open a lot, so he should start bringing those in eventually.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Those guys were healthy and able to get on the field, he hasn't had his chance yet for a multitude of reasons. He did drop that one pass but he was open, he seems to get open a lot, so he should start bringing those in eventually.

he has the one thing you can't teach: speed.  then again, so does denzel mims.

still early for sure.  hopefully he gets healthy.

Makes me think that they saw something in Mims off the field or in the lockerroom that they didn't like which is why they cut him so soon. Brad and Dan seem to have a short leash for things like that and aren't going to take any chances for a bad seed to spread throughout the locker room. Just speculation on my part though.