2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

10 hours ago, buddha said:

michigan state cares about one thing: beating michigan at football.  urban is very good at that.

they should be on the phone to urban asap.  you think msu cares that urban is a cheater and a horrible person?  good lord, have you followed msu for the last 30 years?  lol.

What is Steve Mariucci doing these days?  He's friends with Izzo, correct?  

11 hours ago, Edman85 said:

No

I'm not a MSU fan, but yes. If whomever is running MSU's search for their next head coach doesn't pick up the phone and at least give Urban the chance to tell you no than they aren't doing their due diligence. I think it's highly unlikely Urban would say yes, but he should be the first name on State's list for a new coach. Before you call Pat Narduzzi, Jim Leonhard, Brian Hartline, Jeremy Chadwell, Mike Elko or whomever, you have to call Urban because he flat out wins. He does one thing exceedingly well too, as Buddha said, he wins over Harbaugh and Michigan.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not a MSU fan, but yes. If whomever is running MSU's search for their next head coach doesn't pick up the phone and at least give Urban the chance to tell you no than they aren't doing their due diligence. I think it's highly unlikely Urban would say yes, but he should be the first name on State's list for a new coach. Before you call Pat Narduzzi, Jim Leonhard, Brian Hartline, Jeremy Chadwell, Mike Elko or whomever, you have to call Urban because he flat out wins. He does one thing exceedingly well too, as Buddha said, he wins over Harbaugh and Michigan.

One problem with Meyer could be that the pool of donors willing to pony up to pay his salary might less than for someone without his baggage. I don't know if MSU generates the kind of income to pay a Meyer without a lot of outside help. In today's world you almost have to be matching donors to your hiring decision as you go.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

One problem with Meyer could be that the pool of donors willing to pony up to pay his salary might less than for someone without his baggage. I don't know if MSU generates the kind of income to pay a Meyer without a lot of outside help. In today world you almost have to be matching donors to your hiring decision as you go.

https://thefootballusa.com/wealthiest-college-football

Michigan State generates $172 million in revenue from college football. While it's not near the top like Ohio State at $251 million, or Big Blue at $210 million, I think they can still afford Urban and a few good assistant coaches.

I'd call Urban and tell him the following:

1. We don't give an EFFF about how things went down in Jacksonville or any of what we saw on Swamp Kings on Netflix. You win, you haven't broken the law or had major NCAA violations, so we're good there.

2. We'll pay you north of $10 million per season if you are willing to negotiate with us in good faith.

3. We'll pay your top assistant coaches, including OC, DC, Special Teams, and a top recruiting assistance north of $1.5 million each.

4. You can recruit any way you'd like as long as it is legal and within the bounds of NCAA rules. You can have all the NIL money you want. You can oversign prospects like they do in the SEC. All of it.

5. We know you won't want to stay more than 4-5-6 years anyways, so you can quit whenever and handpick your successor.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

https://thefootballusa.com/wealthiest-college-football

Michigan State generates $172 million in revenue from college football. While it's not near the top like Ohio State at $251 million, or Big Blue at $210 million, I think they can still afford Urban and a few good assistant coaches.

I'd call Urban and tell him the following:

1. We don't give an EFFF about how things went down in Jacksonville or any of what we saw on Swamp Kings on Netflix. You win, you haven't broken the law or had major NCAA violations, so we're good there.

2. We'll pay you north of $10 million per season if you are willing to negotiate with us in good faith.

3. We'll pay your top assistant coaches, including OC, DC, Special Teams, and a top recruiting assistance north of $1.5 million each.

4. You can recruit any way you'd like as long as it is legal and within the bounds of NCAA rules. You can have all the NIL money you want. You can oversign prospects like they do in the SEC. All of it.

5. We know you won't want to stay more than 4-5-6 years anyways, so you can quit whenever and handpick your successor.

Just remember, program income is pretty meaningless separated from program expenses. Most NCAA programs are already burning through every dollar they get their hands on. 

Edited by gehringer_2

Waaay back when Urban was coaching my alma mater...BGSU...he was rumored to be a serious candidate for the MSU gig.  In the end, they didn't want to roll the dice on a guy with two years in the MAC as his sole head coaching experience, so he baled on us for Utah.  When you look at his record...winning huge in three distinctly different regions of the country..he has to be considered one fo the all time great coaches.  Who else can make that claim?  But..someone with his baggage is exactly hat MSU does NOT need right now.

If you want a former BGSU coach...look at Dave Clawson down at Wake Forest.  He's basically on a lifetime deal there so he might not be interested, but he's smart, disciplined and recruits extremely well.

Another name to consider who might be easier to poach is Colorado OC Sean Lewis. Did well as a HC in the MAC and that Colorado offense looks good

Edited by Shinzaki

I could see MSU administration prioritizing stability and safety over a sure winner in their next pick. Barnett and Chris Creighton are the two that come to mind.

Not flashy, not likely to take them to the CFP, but also not likely to embarrass the school or program.

edit for clarity - I don’t think either would be a bad hire or “less than”. I actually think Creighton is an extremely underrated coach for what he’s done in Ypsilanti.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id also question Urban's desire to come to a place where he knows he is going to be behind Michigan, OSU, Penn State and now USC just in his own conference for recruits and resources. 

Pfffft.... As if we know what the conference will look like in two years...

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Waaay back when Urban was coaching my alma mater...BGSU...he was rumored to be a serious candidate for the MSU gig.  In the end, they didn't want to roll the dice on a guy with two years in the MAC as his sole head coaching experience, so he baled on us for Utah.  When you look at his record...winning huge in three distinctly different regions of the country..he has to be considered one fo the all time great coaches.  Who else can make that claim?  But..someone with his baggage is exactly hat MSU does NOT need right now.

If you want a former BGSU coach...look at Dave Clawson down at Wake Forest.  He's basically on a lifetime deal there so he might not be interested, but he's smart, disciplined and recruits extremely well.

Another name to consider who might be easier to poach is Colorado OC Sean Lewis. Did well as a HC in the MAC and that Colorado offense looks good

While no one should blame Meyer for leaving BGSU for Utah, it was the "professional" manner in which he did so with respect to the athletic department that was bush league.

Clawson is a good suggestion.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, casimir said:

While no one should blame Meyer for leaving BGSU for Utah, it was the "professional" manner in which he did so with respect to the athletic department that was bush league.

Clawson is a good suggestion.

There's a number of people in BG that still refer to him as "Urban Liar"

On 9/12/2023 at 5:26 PM, Hongbit said:

I still can’t move off the fact that Mel Is a giant idiot.   There is no job in America where it’s acceptable for a leader to get into a sexual relationship with the person they hired to teach sexual harassment training.    That’s a dead stop for me.  

Even if it was fully consensual, he’s got to know better.  Leaders lose their jobs all the time for consensual relationships with subordinates or vendors.   Dumb. 

Reminds me of this one famous website I worked for, run by a European billionaire, and we would have a once-a-year sexual harassment seminar run by his handpicked moderator. The woman he picked was … ummm … striking. So much so, I wondered whether he was trolling us.

He also ended up leaving his wife for his personal assistant. 

But hey, that was almost 20 years ago, what did we know in 2004?