2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

1 hour ago, casimir said:

The team that he may be referencing could be Indiana.  They recently bought out a 3 game series with Louisville and are rumored to be looking at FCS opponents.  I know some around here might think it’s Michigan, but they never schedule anyone of substance anyway, so they wouldn’t need to buy anyone out.

texas and oklahoma and notre dame are nobody?

well....penn state has auburn.  theyre really tough.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

texas and oklahoma and notre dame are nobody?

well....penn state has auburn.  theyre really tough.

We'll see if they keep them on the schedule.  They'll do what they need to in order to keep Notre Dame on there, can't debate that.

I hadn't looked at their updated B10 schedule with the new teams rolled in.  Michigan hosts USC and Oregon and travels to Ohio State and Washington next year.  That's pretty good.  So shame on me for not looking at that.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

the last two years of michigan's schedule have been pathetic, all for the goal of getting more home games for MOAR MONEY.  disgraceful.

but i dont want to hear shiite from james fricking franklin.

Well, I don't agree with him about the emphasis for going undefeated in the future.  The playoffs will expand and there won't be 12 undefeated teams.  There will still be debates about who lost to who, who beat who, etc in order to seed teams and fill out the wild cards.  So scheduling will matter in terms of who played whom, whether its in conference or out of conference.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

the last two years of michigan's schedule have been pathetic, all for the goal of getting more home games for MOAR MONEY.  disgraceful.

but i dont want to hear shiite from james fricking franklin.

I think a home-and-home between Michigan and Texas probably generates more money on the whole than Michigan-Central Michigan. I think it is more strategic than just wanting more money (though of course all decisions are related to money).

Ohio State last year went 11-1 and made the playoff, probably came within a field goal of winning the National Championship. If they had lost to Notre Dame on September 3rd (they won by 11), they'd have been 10-2 and Alabama (also 10-2, but from the SEC) probably would have gone in their place as the first two-loss playoff team.

So why play Notre Dame, when you could play Timbuktu College, write them a check for a million or two, and be much more assured that you will finish with no more than one loss?

Competition should get a little better with the expansion of the playoff, but I'm still not sure the incentive for a B1G powerhouse to schedule an SEC powerhouse (or Notre Dame) in nonconference. Why risk it? Michigan will play USC, Washington, Oregon, and Ohio State in 2024, then USC, Ohio State, and Washington again in 2025. If they go 10-2 in either year, they'll likely make the expanded playoff. Why are they playing Texas in 24 and Oklahoma in 25 and risking going 9-3 or worse? I don't see the relative benefit (outside of the money generated from a September Michigan-Texas game). The real money will come from the College Football Playoff, and that should be the goal anyway.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

So why play Notre Dame, when you could play Timbuktu College

NCAA football as a true competitive team sport remains a joke until/unless they put stronger SOS factors back into tournament selection criteria. It's a great season of exhibition games and great spectacle and makes lots of folks big $$ - but as team competition Logan Roy said it best -- you are not serious people.

Edited by gehringer_2

I think there is benefit for a team like Michigan to play a quality opponent, maybe not so much in the expanded playoff but how things are currently. 

Reason being that theres a good chance they will need to be undefeated to make the playoff due to their schedule which means that everything will hinge on the outcome of the Ohio State game. 

Now if they scheduled an elite opponent early and won they then could afford to lose to OSU cause they'd have that elite win to fall back on.

If they lose to that elite team its not a season killer, you just have to run the table and beat OSU to get in, basically the same as you have to do now anyway. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think there is benefit for a team like Michigan to play a quality opponent, maybe not so much in the expanded playoff but how things are currently. 

Reason being that theres a good chance they will need to be undefeated to make the playoff due to their schedule which means that everything will hinge on the outcome of the Ohio State game. 

Now if they scheduled an elite opponent early and won they then could afford to lose to OSU cause they'd have that elite win to fall back on.

If they lose to that elite team its not a season killer, you just have to run the table and beat OSU to get in, basically the same as you have to do now anyway. 

I think this is fair logic but I don't know if that is how your average football coach thinks!

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

What in the hell happened at Colorado while I was sleeping? Really bummed that I was too tired to stay up and watch because that would have been hilarious to see in real time. 

29-0 when I stopped following and didn't give it another thought ...until I saw the headline this morning!

• Thanks 1

Looking at Colorado's remaining schedule, I'm not sure they'll get to 6 wins to become bowl eligible.  

@UCLA

Oregon St

Arizona

@ Washington State

@Utah 

The only win I see is against Arizona and even that probably won't be easy.   

Edited by MIguy

That TCU win doesn't appear to look so impressive now after they lose back to back games against Iowa State and West Virginia. 

Aside from that Colorado needed double OT to beat Colorado State, barely beat a terrible Sun Devil team and got blown out by the two good teams they faced. 

Not gonna deny that they aren't better than last year but it would be hard not to improve over that team but it seems that the national media was a bit premature with their crowning of Deion being this savior and second coming of Vince Lombardi after a few wins to start the season.

Edited by RandyMarsh

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That TCU win doesn't appear to look so impressive now after they lose back to back games against Iowa State and West Virginia. 

Aside from that Colorado needed double OT to beat Colorado State, barely beat a terrible Sun Devil team and got blown out by the two good teams they faced. 

Not gonna deny that they aren't better than last year but it would be hard not to improve over that team but it seems that the national media was a bit premature with their crowning of Deion being this savior and second coming of Vince Lombardi after a few wins to start the season.

they brought in a 5* quarterback and a 5* receiver.  two of the best players in college football.  they were going to be better.  they will continue to get better as long as deion stays interested because he'll be able to recruit.

can he create a great program?  dunno.  it takes a while to build a good offensive line, as were seeing this year.  but he'll get top players because they'll be attracted to that kind of attention.

not sure how the "throw everyone under the bus and call them all terrible when things go wrong" stuff will turn out, but we'll see.

A Title IX rights org has brought suit against several Michigan schools for spending more on their men's athletic programs than on their women's, which of course, they do. So in that context, I wonder if at some point as the successive fig leafs fall away from college football revealing it to be a professional endeavor and it starts getting re-organized more as such, if the Universities don't at some point try some kind of legal jujitsu to get football removed from Title IX jurisdiction, which could, as the result of all those expenditure now going into non-student athletics' accounts,  end up a huge blow to women's college sports. Be that as it may, if I'm a major college AD I don't know how I would not be thinking those thoughts.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

29-0 when I stopped following and didn't give it another thought ...until I saw the headline this morning!

5 hours ago, MIguy said:

What in the hell happened at Colorado while I was sleeping? Really bummed that I was too tired to stay up and watch because that would have been hilarious to see in real time. 

Never a doubt

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Spartans led Rutgers 24-6 heading into the 4th. Now with 8 minutes left it’s 27-24 Rutgers, lol. 

if michigan state had any fans, they might actually be upset about this.

dont worry, they'll hang with michigan for a half and then spend the whole year bragging about how theyre just as good as the wolverines.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

if michigan state had any fans, they might actually be upset about this.

dont worry, they'll hang with michigan for a half and then spend the whole year bragging about how theyre just as good as the wolverines.

I’m not sure. If Michigan takes a 14-0 lead, I could see State just giving up. They’ve shown no heart at all under Barnett.