2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

42 minutes ago, casimir said:

Mystery Machine Theory:

It was Ryan Day dressed as Connor Stalions dressed in CMU gear.  How about that one?  And he would’of gotten away with it if it weren’t for these meddling kids.

they ripped off the mask and the villain was actually lou holtz!

so ryan was very scared and ran away.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t know if anybody does, to be honest.

I wonder if these earlier rankings would be better served by ranking in tiers rather than in absolute order?

I'd be fine if they just did away with the playoff rankings and chose the teams after the season was over.  

3 hours ago, MIguy said:

Initial Playoff rankings

1.  Ohio St

2.  Georgia

3.  Michigan

4.  Florida State

5.  Washington

6.  Oregon

1. Georgia

2.  Ohio St.

3. Michigan

4. Washington 

5. Florida St

6. Texas

7. Alabama

8. Oregon

Michigan will pass Ohio State if they beat Penn St. and Maryland heading into The Game.

Washington will lose a couple of times and won't be a factor by the time of playoff selection.

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

1. Georgia

2.  Ohio St.

3. Michigan

4. Washington 

5. Florida St

6. Texas

7. Alabama

8. Oregon

Michigan will pass Ohio State if they beat Penn St. and Maryland heading into The Game.

Washington will lose a couple of times and won't be a factor by the time of playoff selection.

The committee has shown they will move teams around in order even if they all keep winning.  I don't think his wasn't necessarily the case in the traditional polls.  I like that its an evolving evaluation.

I don't know that Michigan passes Ohio State if they beat Penn State and Maryland.  Ohio State has already beaten that duo, plus they have the win at Notre Dame.  I suppose it depends on how they beat Penn State.  Ohio State had them at home and Michigan travels to Penn State.

Washington has a trio of ranked opponents coming up, although Utah seems to be on QB3 now?  Their defense seems to be a little lacking, but a lot of defenses seem to be.  If they can win their road games (USC, Oregon State), I think they're likely to be undefeated heading into the PAC championship game.

8 hours ago, MIguy said:

I'd be fine if they just did away with the playoff rankings and chose the teams after the season was over.  

I'd still like to see a computer point system involved.  Factor in strength of schedule, margin of victory, etc, and eliminate reputational biases and "victories" over FCS schools.

28 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'd still like to see a computer point system involved.  Factor in strength of schedule, margin of victory, etc, and eliminate reputational biases and "victories" over FCS schools.

right, like their sp+ rankings from bill connelly.  which is what i quoted.

michigan could lose to penn state and this will all be moot.  but as of now, they've been destroying every opponent they've played.  

ohio state has played plenty of bad teams and hasn't performed to michigan's level.  not even close, really.  to your point, michigan hasnt played a good team and that's a very valid reason for not ranking them high.  

but relying on computer rankings i like has them at #2.  

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Ohio State down 9-7 at the half. If they lose, they’d have to win the Michigan game gain a playoff spot. There is a possible path into the playoff for OSU, again, if their only loss is to Michigan. 

its rutgers.  theyre not going to lose.

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Ohio State down 9-7 at the half. If they lose, they’d have to win the Michigan game gain a playoff spot. There is a possible path into the playoff for OSU, again, if their only loss is to Michigan. 

Look for the fumbleroosky type play that Rutgers ran on OSU in the 2nd quarter.  I gave them a hat tip.  It was brilliantly executed.