2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

On 11/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, lordstanley said:

I would take Florida St (or Washington or Texas) as a semi final opponent in a heartbeat over Oregon, Alabama or an Ohio State rematch

I don't know.  Could the world handle more than one UofM vs OSU football game per season?  I kind of like that you got one shot per year against the other, and then its done until next season.  So bring it then, and it is what it is.

Of course, this isn't to say I would boycott any rematches within the season.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

I don't know.  Could the world handle more than one UofM vs OSU football game per season?  I kind of like that you got one shot per year against the other, and then its done until next season.  So bring it then, and it is what it is.

Of course, this isn't to say I would boycott any rematches within the season.

I much prefer that the game between Michigan and OSU be essentially a college football playoff quarterfinal. Win you move on, lose you’re out. But if Florida St and Washington lose somewhere and I wouldn’t be shocked if they did, then Georgia and the Mich-OSU winner would be the only two locks and then you’d be left with a bunch of 1-loss teams. I could see OSU getting consideration if they’re one of those teams. Michigan, no. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

michigan must go undefeated to make the playoff.  their schedule is too weak to justify anything else.

Pretty much. I suppose you could come up with a nutty scenario where they beat PSU and OSU butsome weird stuff happens like a  monsoon during the game and they lose Maryland. 

This is as wide open of a playoff race that we’ve seen in many years.  There are no dominant teams.   I’d say there are probably 10 teams that would have a legitimate shot to win it all if they got in the 4.  I expect the last 4 weeks of the season to be bumpy for the teams at the top.  

10 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This is as wide open of a playoff race that we’ve seen in many years.  There are no dominant teams.   I’d say there are probably 10 teams that would have a legitimate shot to win it all if they got in the 4.  I expect the last 4 weeks of the season to be bumpy for the teams at the top.  

Hard disagree. I think it's Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State, in whatever order, being the three best by a wide margin. Georgia vs the Michigan-Ohio St winner for the national championship isn't a certainty, but it's about as high of a likelihood as can be at this stage of a season.

Then since the Michigan-Ohio State game should all but eliminate one of them, there's a scramble among Florida, Washington, Oregon, Texas and Alabama for the final two spots. 

Edited by lordstanley

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Hard disagree. I think it's Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State, in whatever order, being the three best by a wide margin. Georgia vs the Michigan-Ohio St winner for the national championship isn't a certainty, but it's about as high of a likelihood as can be at this stage of a season.

Then since the Michigan-Ohio State game should all but eliminate one of them, there's a scramble among Florida, Washington, Oregon, Texas and Alabama for the final two spots. 

i dont think ohio state is eliminated if they lose to michigan on the road.

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think ohio state is eliminated if they lose to michigan on the road.

No, not eliminated, but after taking two Big 10 teams last year and having them both lose in the semis (albeit OSU giving Georgia a great game), I think OSU would be hard-pressed to get in over a 0-loss Washington-FSU conference champ or a 1-loss Washington-FSU-Oregon-Texas-conference champ.

Incidentally, Georgia should move up to #1 after beating #9 Ole Miss by 35.

Edited by lordstanley

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

No, not eliminated, but after taking two Big 10 teams last year and having them both lose in the semis (albeit OSU giving Georgia a great game), I think OSU would be hard-pressed to get in over a 0-loss Washington-FSU conference champ or a 1-loss Washington-FSU-Oregon-Texas-conference champ.

Incidentally, Georgia should move up to #1 after beating #9 Ole Miss by 35.

i think a one loss osu gets in over any other 1 loss team, but not over an undefeated washington or florida state. 

it could be like last year.  osu loses to michigan but still makes it in because other undefeated teams have to play in conference championship games, which some of them will lose which lets osu get in through the back door.

michigan is out with one loss.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38880082/jimbo-fisher-expected-fired-texas-sources-confirm

Texas A&M is expected to fire football coach Jimbo Fisher on Sunday morning, sources confirmed to ESPN.

The steps toward removing Fisher began in a Texas A&M Board of Regents meeting on Thursday, according to sources. A four-hour discussion of Fisher's future led to the imminent decision.

Fisher will be owed $76 million upon his firing, according to sources, which is a record amount of a buyout paid to a head coach. That number is more than double the known buyout paid to a fired college head coach.

Texas A&M plans to honor Fisher's contract in full, according to sources. TexAgs first reported the school's plan to fire Fisher.

Texas A&M (6-4, 4-3 SEC) is coming off a 51-10 victory over Mississippi State on Saturday.

Fisher is 45-25 in six seasons at Texas A&M, and just signed a new 10-year contract with $95 million guaranteed in 2021. That deal was given, in part, because of the potential at the time of Fisher leaving for LSU.

10 hours ago, buddha said:

i think a one loss osu gets in over any other 1 loss team, but not over an undefeated washington or florida state. 

it could be like last year.  osu loses to michigan but still makes it in because other undefeated teams have to play in conference championship games, which some of them will lose which lets osu get in through the back door.

michigan is out with one loss.

I hate projecting end of season records.  But what the hell, why not add to the pile?

Undefeateds OSU/Michigan is a classic, winner goes on to score bludgeonize the Little 7 West winner in the Big Ten championship game.

Oregon wins a nail biter over Washington, both finish with 1 loss against each other.

Florida State loses to Louisville in the ACC championship.

Alabama defeats Georgia in a highly competitive SEC championship.

Texas decisively wins the Big XII championship.

Assume all teams mentioned above win out for the rest of the regular season and conference title games except for where their loses have been called out.

It won't happen, but go ahead, pick 3 teams to join the only undefeated team (OSU/Michigan) in the playoffs.  Those teams include one loss OSU/Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Florida State, Louisville.   Did I miss anyone?

I was watching this one live.  Someone has a rough week of practice ahead of him.

Of course, the obligatory end of 3rd quarter live interview with the coach, and the question was asked how they need to finish the game.  The UW coach simply said taking care of all of the little things like holding onto the ball while crossing the goal line.

Luckily for Washington, the defense scored a safety on the ensuing Utah drive (I think it was on first down), and the Huskies held on to win.