2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

23 minutes ago, casimir said:

It won't happen, but go ahead, pick 3 teams to join the only undefeated team (OSU/Michigan) in the playoffs.  Those teams include one loss OSU/Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Florida State, Louisville.   Did I miss anyone?

I think it would be (1) B1G Champ (2) Alabama (3) Oregon (4) Texas, though Georgia would receive far more votes for #4 than they would deserve. Conference championships matter and they should (and likely would) be prioritized over anyone else with one loss.

They would want to put in Georgia, but it would require too much gymnastics to put them in above a Texas team that beat the SEC Champ in your scenario.

I think the most likely outcome at this point is a 13-0 Georgia, 13-0 Michigan, 13-0 Florida State, and 12-1 Texas

One way or another, the PAC-12 will find a way to implode on itself. It has for the last ten years and I don’t know why that would end now. Oregon State will win at least one of its next two against Washington and Oregon to set this year’s implosion into motion.

13 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Hard disagree. I think it's Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State, in whatever order, being the three best by a wide margin. Georgia vs the Michigan-Ohio St winner for the national championship isn't a certainty, but it's about as high of a likelihood as can be at this stage of a season.

Then since the Michigan-Ohio State game should all but eliminate one of them, there's a scramble among Florida, Washington, Oregon, Texas and Alabama for the final two spots. 

There is no overwhelming favorite once you get into the playoff this year.  Whoever gets in will have similar shots.  There’s no whipping boys that don’t have a shot in the semifinal like we’ve seen more years than not in the 4 team playoff era.  Even the top teams this year Georgia, OSU, and Michigan are all noticeably weaker than some of their past teams.   It’s anyone’s for the taking this year. 

Keep an eye on the Beavers.  They ca  ruin a lot of the plans in the Pac starting with an upset next week vs UW and/or one the following against Oregon.    

Louisville has a great chance to ruin things for FSU.   Bama is coming on and will be a huge test for Georgia.  UM/OSU goes without saying.  

I

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the most likely outcome at this point is a 13-0 Georgia, 13-0 Michigan, 13-0 Florida State, and 12-1 Texas

One way or another, the PAC-12 will find a way to implode on itself. It has for the last ten years and I don’t know why that would end now. Oregon State will win at least one of its next two against Washington and Oregon to set this year’s implosion into motion.

This could very well be but not much needs to happen for it to be Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, and Louisville.  

Edited by Hongbit

4 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Michigan, Washington, Florida State win out.  Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC Title game.

Playoff rankings:

1.  Michigan

2.  Washington

3.  Florida State

4.  Alabama

Not thrilled at the possibility of facing Alabama in the first round.  

This is no fun.  Too vanilla.  Not enough chaos.

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

This is no fun.  Too vanilla.  Not enough chaos.

Certainly wouldn't be fun for Michigan or us fans.   You want chaos, I got one that's even worse.............

Michigan wins out.  Washington and Florida State lose.  Alabama beats Georgia.

Playoff Rankings:

1.  Michigan

2.  Alabama

3.  Oregon/Texas

4.  Georgia

Now Michigan needs to beat Georgia AND Alabama to win the title.   

Edited by MIguy

4 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Certainly wouldn't be fun for Michigan or us fans.   You want chaos, I got one that's even worse.............

Playoff Rankings:

1.  Michigan

2.  Alabama

3.  Oregon/Texas

4.  Georgia

We need to figure some scenario where Toledo gets into it this year.  Start now, pencils down in 10 minutes.

55 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Playoff Rankings:

1.  Michigan

2.  Alabama

3.  Oregon/Texas

4.  Georgia

I don’t think a one-loss SEC team that doesn’t win the championship gets the grace of years past, unless a couple things fall their way in the other conferences. If any two of Washington, Oregon, Texas, and Florida State win out, I don’t think we see two teams from one conference make it.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Easy.   Toledo shuts down the program and everyone becomes Buckeye fans. 

When U of Morality leaves the Big Ten, they can go to the MAC.  They’ll have a conference schedule much like their preferred out of conference schedule, so that’ll be a plus.  And ESPN will love having them on Tuesday/Wednesday night games late in the season.

5 hours ago, MIguy said:

If I was 58 years old and getting 76 million to go away, there's no chance I would look for another job.  

Jimbo says he’s not as worried about social security funding issues now. 

Edited by 1776

14 hours ago, MIguy said:

If I was 58 years old and getting 76 million to go away, there's no chance I would look for another job.  

I think I'd probably kill time on a sports message board ranting and raving like I know stuff even though I don't really know half of what I think I know.

• Thanks 1