2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Washington currently up 10-0,  I mean unless UGA loses ultimately it doesn't matter but if they win comfortably should they or will they pass Michigan regardless of what we do on Saturday since they are playing the number 4 team and we're playing Iowa? 

Nah. Not unless we are about to see a blow out and a close game against Iowa at least. Ohio State would be ranked above Oregon, and Michigan would have wins over two top tens in Ohio State and Penn State, plus Iowa. Washington would have wins over one top ten in Oregon (x2), plus Oregon State and Arizona. Mostly a wash, but Michigan has definitely passed the eye test better than UW. UW has played eight games decided by 10 or less. Compared to three for Michigan.

I still think Oregon wins this. Their offense can score at any moment.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

Washington is #2 pretty easy with a win. You could even argue #1. Best resume in CFB assuming they win.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

Nah. Not unless we are about to see a blow out and a close game against Iowa at least. Ohio State would be ranked above Oregon, and Michigan would have wins over two top tens in Ohio State and Penn State, plus Iowa. Washington would have wins over one top ten in Oregon (x2), plus Oregon State and Arizona. Mostly a wash, but Michigan has definitely passed the eye test better than UW. UW has played eight games decided by 10 or less. Compared to three for Michigan.

I still think Oregon wins this. Their offense can score at any moment.

The consensus is strong with this message board. LOL.

21 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Washington is #2 pretty easy with a win. You could even argue #1. Best resume in CFB assuming they win.

Not gonna happen but it wouldn't matter because Michigan and Washington would be #2 and #3 and play each other.  

Didnt really think of it till now but Considering one of the CFP games are playing Pasadena this year it would be pretty cool/fitting to see an old Big 10 vs. Pac 10 clash in the Rose Bowl with Michigan and Washington/Oregon, particularly with this essentially being the swan song of that conference. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Didnt really think of it till now but Considering one of the CFP games are playing Pasadena this year it would be pretty cool/fitting to see an old Big 10 vs. Pac 10 clash in the Rose Bowl with Michigan and Washington/Oregon, particularly with this essentially being the swan song of that conference. 

I expect Michigan to go to the Rose Bowl one way or another. I expect they would choose it as the #1 seed or get assigned it as the #2 seed. Lots of cool matchups there. Even the possible Michigan/Texas match would be a rematch from 2005.

43 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I expect Michigan to go to the Rose Bowl one way or another. I expect they would choose it as the #1 seed or get assigned it as the #2 seed. Lots of cool matchups there. Even the possible Michigan/Texas match would be a rematch from 2005.

According to 97.1 this afternoon, the belief that the #1 seed gets to choose where they play is incorrect. 

9 minutes ago, MIguy said:

According to 97.1 this afternoon, the belief that the #1 seed gets to choose where they play is incorrect. 

Did they source? I found some stuff from 2022 indicating that Alabama chose the Cotton Bowl... Obviously Georgia was going to choose the Peach Bowl last year (if they did indeed get a choice)... I haven't seen anything that indicates otherwise. But nothing that definitively says they choose either.

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Did they source? I found some stuff from 2022 indicating that Alabama chose the Cotton Bowl... Obviously Georgia was going to choose the Peach Bowl last year (if they did indeed get a choice)... I haven't seen anything that indicates otherwise. But nothing that definitively says they choose either.

Not sure if still current, but …

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/24/selection-committee-protocol

041324A4-6F9C-4E07-B157-0459A42B9B26.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Going back through the broadcast from today on Audacy, they talk about it at 1:21pm.  He's quoting from a reporter in New Orleans who was doing a story on the Sugar Bowl and who might be playing there.  The reporter spoke to someone at the CFP committee.  Doug then goes on to read some of the official rules that leave things a bit up in the air as to how it's actually decided.  

Edited by MIguy
  • Thanks 1