2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

24 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

With a 20-6 victory over Penn St today, the Buckeyes are going to have a solid chance at the playoff even if they lose to Michigan. 

Can’t wait until Michigan loses to Penn State, beats Ohio State, and Michigan goes to the B1G Championship, 12-1 Michigan and 11-1 Ohio State go to the playoff, and 11-1 James Franklin gets his 7th straight participation trophy.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Can’t wait until Michigan loses to Penn State, beats Ohio State, and Michigan goes to the B1G Championship, 12-1 Michigan and 11-1 Ohio State go to the playoff, and 11-1 James Franklin gets his 7th straight participation trophy.

Rico Beard on 97.1 was talking about this exact scenario today on the Ticket. Because of strength of schedule, Penn State would actually go to the Big Ten Championship from the East Division, as of last weeks records.

Not that the "playoff predictor" tool on ESPN is gospel but according to that as of earlier this week Michigan has a 90% chance of making the playoffs if they finish with 1 loss but win the Big 10 championship but if they finish with 1 loss and don't make the game then that number plummets to under 40%.(I personally would put it at zero barring a TON of upsets) Needless to say assuming Michigan does lose one of those games that tie breaker is going to be HUGE. 

Tennessee down 14 points with 6 minutes left and they punt it away on 4th and 7, granted it ended up being a perfect punt downed at the 1 but I swear some coaches nowadays have no balls. Yes the 4th down was unlikely but far more likely to pick that up and finish that drive for a TD then to expect to stop Alabama quickly on multiple drives and then score quickly yourself. 

Houston gave Texas a battle but it appears they are going to come up short. Down 7 and 4th and a couple inches deep in Texas territory and Houston coach elects to go shotgun and throw the ball....incomplete of course. Will never understand why teams do that on 4th and inches, I can't remember the last time a QB sneak was stopped at that range in college or the NFL yet some teams still wont try it. 

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - The 'integrity of the sport' is challenged by following a practice that was SOP everywhere in the sport until 1994? I need to go find some pearls to clutch.

It is curious why Michigan is being called out for this.  Is their practice of "research" of the opponents' play signage that much more egregious than everyone else?  Are they beyond the line, banging trash cans so to speak?

16 minutes ago, casimir said:

It is curious why Michigan is being called out for this.  Is their practice of "research" of the opponents' play signage that much more egregious than everyone else?  Are they beyond the line, banging trash cans so to speak?

Because of their success.  Nobody would care if they weren't trucking all their opponents. 

11 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Because of their success.  Nobody would care if they weren't trucking all their opponents. 

its because they beat ohio state twice in a row and ohio state ran to mommy.

just like when harbaugh went to open camps in sec country to recruit and the sec teams ran to mommy to make them stop.  same with the world wide trips for the team that were denounced as "recruiting violations."  

harbaugh's nature put a target on michigan's back.  he talks loudly and i doubt others in the fraternity care for him.  so when there is anything remotely out of step with the written rules others gleefully point it out and the ncaa steps in.

i couldnt care less.  the social media pearl clutching is what trolls on social media do.

live it up now michigan fans because harbaugh will leave and the program will have to do another re-set.  once he does leave all this will quiet down.

the next one to get the treatment will be colorado.  give it a year or two.  the establishment doesnt like what deion did and he puts a target on his back.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

he talks loudly and i doubt others in the fraternity care for him. 

I will give Harbaugh big credit for one thing, he is always in the players' corner against the NCAA and other folks trying to make their living off of them. He was in the forefront supporting transfer rights and has been very vocal that the players should be benefiting more directly than even NIL from the income they are generating. I'm sure that position does not endear him to either the NCAA or other coaches who mostly want nothing more than to go back to the status quo ante.

Harbaugh's position might be one that would lead ultimately to the destruction of college football as he knows it, but that doesn't seem to bother him.....🤷‍♀️

11 hours ago, buddha said:

its because they beat ohio state twice in a row and ohio state ran to mommy.

just like when harbaugh went to open camps in sec country to recruit and the sec teams ran to mommy to make them stop.  same with the world wide trips for the team that were denounced as "recruiting violations."  

harbaugh's nature put a target on michigan's back.  he talks loudly and i doubt others in the fraternity care for him.  so when there is anything remotely out of step with the written rules others gleefully point it out and the ncaa steps in.

i couldnt care less.  the social media pearl clutching is what trolls on social media do.

live it up now michigan fans because harbaugh will leave and the program will have to do another re-set.  once he does leave all this will quiet down.

the next one to get the treatment will be colorado.  give it a year or two.  the establishment doesnt like what deion did and he puts a target on his back.

So you’d have no problem with any of Michigan’s opponents doing the same thing in return?  Even though it’s apparently against the rules?

Doesn’t it seem odd that the U of Morality was quick to suspend the spy once the story got out?  That’s not Harbaugh’s nature to cave in so easily like that, is it?

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

So you’d have no problem with any of Michigan’s opponents doing the same thing in return?  Even though it’s apparently against the rules?

Doesn’t it seem odd that the U of Morality was quick to suspend the spy once the story got out?  That’s not Harbaugh’s nature to cave in so easily like that, is it?

But it would be consistent with his claim that whatever happened was without his knowledge. Or less charitably, with wanting to create the impression that what happened was without his knowledge - either way 😱

Edited by gehringer_2