2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Yesterday was the off-field equivalent  of this game:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401012895

Not quite, I'd rather have the actual game day.

But there was so much bluster about Harbaugh having his day in court.  And they punt before the hearing?

So, if I'm keeping score correctly, 1 assistant coach was fired and 1 head coach has been suspended (including the biggest game on the schedule) and willingly punted his appeal.  But nothing wrong happened, there's nothing to see here?

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Not quite, I'd rather have the actual game day.

But there was so much bluster about Harbaugh having his day in court.  And they punt before the hearing?

So, if I'm keeping score correctly, 1 assistant coach was fired and 1 head coach has been suspended (including the biggest game on the schedule) and willingly punted his appeal.  But nothing wrong happened, there's nothing to see here?

Two coaches now, for the record. Michigan knew they had no evidence to appeal the suspension. Hopefully there will be  blog to say this still all because of Dark Ryan Day.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

that was always going to be approved.  over the objections of the people in evanston who object to everything Northwestern tries to do.  and it was always going to be approved by the politicians who will give northwestern whatever it wants.

That alumni base has some ca$h.   

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

as does the university.

its nice for them to expand the stadium to accomodate more michigan, ohio state, wisconsin, penn state and nebraska fans.

Not that this has anything to do with stadium financing, which is a different set of issues, but NW making the commitment to the upgraded venue got me wondering - maybe one of the unintended consequences of opening up outside sources of direct funding to players (NIL et al)  is that it  may be a beginning of a trend where the money available to a program like NW gets uncoupled from the resource base of their smallish university and instead flows more directly from the size of the media market it can command. If an effect like that turned out to real, it would tend to level the playing field between schools as the extremes of the big school/small school - urban/rural distribution, like say like PSU and NW

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not that this has anything to do with stadium financing, which is a different set of issues, but NW making the commitment to the upgraded venue got me wondering - maybe one of the unintended consequences of opening up outside sources of direct funding to players (NIL et al)  is that it  may be a beginning of a trend where the money available to a program like NW gets uncoupled from the resource base of their smallish university and instead flows more directly from the size of the media market it can command. If an effect like that turned out to real, it would tend to level the playing field between schools as the extremes of the big school/small school - urban/rural distribution, like say like PSU and NW

https://sports.yahoo.com/is-college-athletics-headed-for-the-great-split-we-need-to-recreate-or-relaunch-the-ncaa-160523061.html

the end is nigh and they know it.

they know that the athletes will soon be legally employees and that the next step is unionization and collective bargaining.  its the only thing that will keep their salaries intact.

the "revenue sharing" will be what breaks them up.  why should michigan and ohio state share anything with rutgers and northwestern?  they bring nothing to the table.  schools like indiana and purdue have basketball, but that's not nearly the moneymaker football is.  they'll be lucky if the big boys decide to bring them along (they have to play somebody!).

once the players are getting paid you'll see smaller college football end or change substantially.  no way central michigan can afford to pay many players.  or perhaps the mac teams of the world just form their own payment structure that is on another, much lower tier?  maybe we see those types of schools become a feeder league for the power 5 teams like the ncaa is for the nfl right now?

One of the committee's things they take into account is key injuries and how that effects the team going forward and with FSU losing their starting QB they could get dinged by the committee if they win ugly these next two games. Like even if they finish undefeated if their qb play looks like crap these next two games they may keep them out just cause they won't feel they would be able to beat any of the other playoff teams. 

That was one of the reasons Tennessee finished below Alabama last year despite beating them head to head, the committee said that Tennessee isn't the same team now as they were with Hendon Hooker. 

Considering though FSU would be undefeated it would be hard to keep them out over a 1 loss team but it's something worth monitoring if their QB does struggle the next couple weeks. 

If Alabama beats Georgia and the other three undefeated teams stay that way, is Alabama the #4 seed or #3?  Michigan would move up to #1 and I'd really hate to have to face Alabama in the first round.  

Edit:  I just realized, the NCAA hates us, of course they'd leave Alabama 4th even if they felt that FSU was the weaker team due to losing their QB.  

Edited by MIguy