2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

21 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Turn on ESPN and let us know if you wish to revise this.   😁

Auburn should have beat Alabama and Wazzu should have beat Washington. I’ll believe it when the clock hits zero, because I think FSU will beat Louisville next week regardless.

Though if I have to revise it without FSU, it would be

1- Georgia

2- Michigan

3- Oregon

4- Texas

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Auburn should have beat Alabama and Wazzu should have beat Washington. I’ll believe it when the clock hits zero, because I think FSU will beat Louisville next week regardless.

Though if I have to revise it without FSU, it would be

1- Georgia

2- Michigan

3- Oregon

4- Texas

I'm confused, are you giving rankings for next week or after conference championships are decided?  

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

Looking at that Bama TD, i think it should have been OPI.  

Auburn has too much to worry about on defense to even think about OPI.  Why aren’t they bringing pressure there when it has worked the whole drive? And if you’re not going to bring pressure, what the hell is that IDL/MLB doing? Might as well have had ten players on the defense the way he just hangs out in no man’s land, at least the edge rushers were trying to get home. And how does that end up in one-on-one coverage in the corner? You have eight DBs, they have five going deep and that pass had to travel 40 yards. Someone else needs to be nearby to help in coverage.

They have no one but themselves to blame for that getting converted.

Going to be interesting to see what happens if both Oregon and Florida St. win next week.  

Do they select an undefeated FSU with zero wins over teams ranked in the top 12 and playing without their star Qb or do they take 1 loss Oregon coming off a victory over previously 3rd rated UW and have steamrolled everyone on the scheudle recently.   

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Going to be interesting to see what happens if both Oregon and Florida St. win next week.  

Do they select an undefeated FSU with zero wins over teams ranked in the top 12 and playing without their star Qb or do they take 1 loss Oregon coming off a victory over previously 3rd rated UW and have steamrolled everyone on the scheudle recently.   

oregon.

which further fuels florida state's drive to leave the ACC.

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Why wouldn’t both make it? I think Texas gets the short end of the Power 5 stick if FSU wins.

9 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The 12 team playoff is a year late.  Multiple one loss teams could win it this year and wont have a shot.  

I guess it depends upon how one looks at it.  The one loss teams had a shot, they just happened to lose a game along the way.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Alabama, who should be a two loss team, two loss Louisville, and three loss Oklahoma State win their conference championships.  It would likely be Michigan, PAC 12 champion, Alabama, and,…. Georgia?

13 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Meanwhile, A&M leaks that they're hiring Mark Stoops before he signs a contract and he backs out at (literally) the 11th hour, leading to mostly embarrassment for the program and knowledge that whoever they do hire was at least their 2nd choice.

Looks like they are getting Duke’s coach, Mike Elko. He was a co-ordinator at A&M for a few years before leaving to be head coach at Duke. 

9 hours ago, casimir said:

I guess it depends upon how one looks at it.  The one loss teams had a shot, they just happened to lose a game along the way.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Alabama, who should be a two loss team, two loss Louisville, and three loss Oklahoma State win their conference championships.  It would likely be Michigan, PAC 12 champion, Alabama, and,…. Georgia?

The nightmare scenario for the committee would be what you proposed except have Texas beat Oklahoma St.

In that case you'd have UM of course and the PAC 12 Champ. But then you'd have UGA, Bama and Texas left for 2 spots, who do you leave out?

They all have 1 loss with Texas beating Bama, Bama beating UGA and UGA being the consensus 1 all season and 2 time champ.

If you go by h2h then you'd have to leave UGA out since Bama beat them and Texas beat Bama. But if you go by overall resume and who you feel is the better team than it would be hard to leave UGA out.

I guess you could take all 3 and then leave out the PAC Champ if it ends up being 1 loss Oregon but considering how well they have been playing that would be a mighty tough pill for them to swallow.

Harbaugh's first presser after re-instatement and he immediately stumps for more revenue sharing for players. On one level he is completely correct that justice in the abstract demands the players get the same kind of slice of the pie they get in say the NFL. The problem is that kind of professional sports has nothing to do with being in college and there is no natural fit for universities to remain the caretakers of the those teams under the kind of economics that Harbaugh is arguing for. I don't disagree with him in main about what players deserve, but I don't think he realizes that in the end it simply can't be college football and professional football at the same time. It has to be/will eventually be one or the other. Either Congress makes legal exceptions to more or less return college sport to the some level of the status quo ante, or revenue college sports as we know them will/must inevitably morph into something very different from what they have traditionally been.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2023/11/suspension-over-jim-harbaugh-renews-call-for-revenue-sharing-in-college-sports.html

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Big surprise here.    His record in conference is 26-26 but only 3-19 against teams with a winning record.  Never won a bowl game or had a top 25 recruiting class.    His salary is almost $6M making him the highest paid public employee in the state of California.   

Does he have a buyout? Maybe that ties UCLA hands. They bolted to the B1G because they needed the money. They've lost $90 million in the last two years.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Does he have a buyout? Maybe that ties UCLA hands. They bolted to the B1G because they needed the money. They've lost $90 million in the last two years.

He’s got a buyout but it expires on December 15th.  That’s an odd time with transfer portal opening December 4th and Early Signing Day on December 20th.  Makes it easier to keep him.  

Not sure how much the athletic department budget deficit plays a role.  Any buyout money along with the contract for the next coach would come direct from their big donors and not from the same pool of general department money.