2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

The Team Turmoil nature of this Michigan season really has been beyond anything I've experienced in my life as a Michigan fan.  It will be a very interesting book when it comes out. 

And by Team Turmoil I mean just the number of things that have happened.  The actual team seems pretty focused through all of it.

Edited by romad1

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Texas up early on Okie State. A Texas win likely eliminates Ohio State from playoff contention.

if texas wins i dont think there is any way osu makes it.

if bama beats georgia they will jump osu.  wins over lsu and georgia and winning the sec trumps osu beating penn state and ghost of lou holtz.

30 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

What an ass. “Don’t look at this year, or at the fact we got embarrassed out of conference, just look at our past success and put us in anyway!”

At the same time, he’s standing up for his conference instead of picking sides among his member schools’ quarrels, so good on him I suppose.

that's exactly what he's supposed to say.  unlike tony pettiti's strange decision to throw his conferences co-#1 brand to the wolves so illinois will be happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

What an ass. “Don’t look at this year, or at the fact we got embarrassed out of conference, just look at our past success and put us in anyway!”

At the same time, he’s standing up for his conference instead of picking sides among his member schools’ quarrels, so good on him I suppose.

Part of the job as commish is to promote your product.  Once the games are over, let’s evaluate resumes and go from there.

Its too bad Alabama converted that 4th down last week.  Hearing him bark for a 2 loss champion (if they beat Georgia) would’ve been good theatre.

54 minutes ago, buddha said:

that's exactly what he's supposed to say.  unlike tony pettiti's strange decision to throw his conferences co-#1 brand to the wolves so illinois will be happy.

Hell, after this Texas blowout, if Alabama beats Georgia, FSU wins decisively but Michigan only wins unimpressively against Iowa, maybe Sankey will use Pettiti's own words to argue that Michigan is the odd team out. Michigan cheated, biggest scandal in history of college football, blatant disregard of sportsmanship, threatens the integrity of the sport, urgent action needed to be taken and still needs to be taken, blah blah blah, postseason ban must be implemented immediately! ESPN would be pushing that narrative by midnight today.

17 minutes ago, MIguy said:

If Florida State comes out and looks like garbage but manages to eek out a win, there's going to be a lot of people calling for Texas to be in over them.  

For as much as the committee claims that their job is to name the four best teams, I think it's disingenuous to not acknowledge that part of their job is political. While I think a survey of college football fans as to who's better between a 13-0 FSU and a 12-1 Texas would be overwhelmingly Texas, I still don't think the committee even seriously entertains the thought of leaving a 13-0 ACC Champion out of the playoff.

When UCF goes 13-0 and claims some fraudulent National Championship, it's cute. When Florida State does it, it's an asterisk. The original BCS was derived to prevent having undefeated Nebraska and Michigan from both claiming a 1997 National Championship. Then it was expanded to four to prevent the 2003 USC/LSU debacle, and to prevent 2004 Auburn, 2008 Utah, or 2010 TCU from decrying that they didn't get their shot despite being undefeated (even though the latter two were Mountain West at the time).

With four teams now, the CFP is just lucky there was never a year where all five conferences had their champion finish 13-0. I don't see how they can open the door to Florida State winning the Fiesta Bowl over Tulane or the Cotton Bowl over Missouri and finishing 14-0... You're right back to 1997 with that, even if the polls don't split.