2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

If Florida St and Michigan wins, there are a couple of ways the committee could handle it. Bypass FSU and put Alabama and Texas both in as better teams. Or put Georgia in and leave out Texas and Alabama. Those three all would be 12-1. Two of them would be conference champs who were #7 and #8 in latest rankings, the other would be two-time defending champs who were #1 in latest rankings. Hard for Alabama to complain about missing out to one team they beat by 3 when they lost to the other team by 10 at home. 

Ohio St is completely dead  Washington is in  Texas and Alabama passed them today  Georgia is still ahead of them   That is not even considering Michigan or Florida St  The Buckeyes will be #7 or -#8  

Edited by lordstanley

10 hours ago, holygoat said:

The Seminoles are garbage. I don't care if they win this game or not, they don't deserve to be in the playoff.

I don’t know.  They’re unblemished, which is more than can be said about other teams.

Here is a point that I heard this week, and I wish I remember who made it, but I don’t.  Florida State has lost its starting QB and some (or a lot of) folks want to ding them for that.  While the QB can have a lot of weight on the success of a team, there are 11 guys out there on any play, offense, defense, and special teams.  Florida State isn’t undefeated solely because of their original starting QB.  It’s a a little unfair to the rest of the team to cast them aside for another team that might meet an eye test but has also has a loss on their ledger.

I think I’d go 1 Michigan vs 4 Texas and 2 Washington vs 3 Florida State.  I think there’s reasonable debate about which one loss team gets in.  Ultimately I think that it comes down to a head to head of Texas defeating Alabama on the road, and Alabama defeated Georgia on a neutral field.  I would also suggest that of the one loss teams, Alabama is the luckiest to have not sustained a second loss.

It’s unfortunate that the larger playoff doesn’t start this season.

I have an acquaintance that I had forgotten is a part of the committee this season.  I hope he’s willing and able to share some of the background about how the decision process goes down this season the next time that I see him (which isn’t often).

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan

washington

bama

florida state

my prediction.  sure to be wrong like most of my predictions.

if im michigan, i would want florida state the most and bama the least.

Florida State’s defense is no joke. I know they were just playing Louisville yesterday, but I think our offensive line would struggle against their defensive line. Alabama is always good but Saban has Smart’s number, especially in the SECCG. It doesn’t always translate to the playoff.

I do think the “easiest” route to a natty would be outlasting Florida State in a low-scoring semi and then playing UW in the championship game.

What could have been next year:

Bye: (1) Michigan, (2) Washington, (3) Texas, (4) Florida State

(5) Alabama v. (12) Liberty in Tuscaloosa

(6) Georgia v. (11) Penn State in Athens

(7) Ohio State v. (10) Ole Miss in Columbus

(8) Oregon v. (9) Missouri in Eugene

The rankings right now would have Georgia/Ole Miss and Ohio State/Penn State rematches. I flipped the two’s seedings as I suspect the committee would do to avoid those in the first round and drive up the TV ratings.

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Right. In situations like that, not only a fumble but also an offensive penalty that stop the clock (even if defined) would be killers for no reason.

Especially when they fumbled the play before but were lucky that it just bounced off the turf and back into the ball carrier’s chest. Just poor clock situation recognition.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I think I’d go 1 Michigan vs 4 Texas and 2 Washington vs 3 Florida State.  I think there’s reasonable debate about which one loss team gets in.  Ultimately I think that it comes down to a head to head of Texas defeating Alabama on the road, and Alabama defeated Georgia on a neutral field.  I would also suggest that of the one loss teams, Alabama is the luckiest to have not sustained a second loss.

It’s unfortunate that the larger playoff doesn’t start this season.

I have an acquaintance that I had forgotten is a part of the committee this season.  I hope he’s willing and able to share some of the background about how the decision process goes down this season the next time that I see him (which isn’t often).

I think the other thing to that Florida State deserves credit for is their early season win over LSU.  I like the idea of rewarding wins over out of conference competition like that.  And, yes, I know they’ve also got an FCS opponent on the docket this season, too.  But they’re undefeated in a power 5 conference, won the championship, they’ve beaten a pretty good out of conference opponent.  That’s their resume this season.  Given the no loss and one loss teams, they should be rewarded with a playoff berth.

If this team was anyone not named Alabama (or Georgia), people would be fine with leaving them out:

- Lost out of conference game to Texas at home by 10

- Tied with South Florida 3-3 at halftime

- 6pt win over 5-loss Texas A&M

- 3pt win at home over 8-loss Arkansas 

- One of their better wins is over LSU by 14, fine, but FSU beat LSU by 21

- Beat 6-loss Auburn on a Hail Mary

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I'm also a bit worried this injury precedent would set. So Michigan has a perfect season, but if Iowa had sacked JJ in the 3rd quarter causing an arm injury, and we figured Orjii would need to be the CFP QB, we'd knock Michigan down or out?

The saving grace for the committee is this is the last year of this system.  There are no precedents to be set.   Everything next year will be brand new.

45 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If this team was anyone not named Alabama (or Georgia), people would be fine with leaving them out:

- Lost out of conference game to Texas at home by 10

- Tied with South Florida 3-3 at halftime

- 6pt win over 5-loss Texas A&M

- 3pt win at home over 8-loss Arkansas 

- One of their better wins is over LSU by 14, fine, but FSU beat LSU by 21

- Beat 6-loss Auburn on a Hail Mary

None of these teams are dominant.  Everyone has had multiple close calls against lesser teams.  Half of Washington’s wins have been by a TD or less. 

Edited by Hongbit