08/20/2022 1:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers at Cleveland Guardians

casimir

Tigers are 10-8 in August, a game over .500 since the All Star Break, and since ending their 9-game losing streak on June 10 the only winning or losing streaks more than two games have been one 3-game losing streak and one 4-game winning streak. If not for the fact they've scored the 2nd fewest runs in MLB ahead of only Oakland, the 2023 Tigers seem about as unremarkable as can be.

Edited by lordstanley

12 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Tigers are 10-8 in August, a game over .500 since the All Star Break, and since ending their 9-game losing streak on June 10 the only winning or losing streaks more than two games have been one 3-game losing streak and one 4-game winning streak. If not for the fact they've scored the 2nd fewest runs in MLB ahead of only Oakland, the 2023 Tigers seem about as unremarkable as can be.

I’m not smart enough to find this, but I wonder how we rank in runs scored and differential since the All-Star break?

Edited by Tenacious D

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not smart enough to find this, but I wonder how we rank in runs scored and differential since the All-Star break?

That's probably somewhere on the Internet, but because I don't know where here is this for now, the standings and differentials at the All Star break. Then the same for right now, this afternoon. The Tigers were -86 at the break and are now at -98, for a -12. The Yankees are -46 since the break. 

Screenshot (1338).png

Screenshot (1339).png

Edited by lordstanley

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you saw the play he did make coming in, it actually showed some more of the limitation of his glove work. The ball was sinking and instead of reversing his wrist to get his pocket down, he locked into an unnecessarily hard catch with his glove facing down on a sinking ball below his waist. You see this a lot  - guys relying on athleticism to make plays that would require less if they had developed more technique.

it looked awkward to me but I didn't know why until now. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

He started playing third August 1. There was a game in July where he played one inning at third.

wRC+ per month

April 107

May 55

June 202

July 84

August 67

He was already starting a downward trend in July and is still higher than May.

Thanks. So probably not related.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t fault him for the dropped ball—looks like he was struggling with the sun out there.

I don’t know.  Other OFs dealt with it today without dropping the ball.  Carpenter consistently has issues around the wall whether there is sun or not.

To his credit, he did have a nice play coming in on a ball to his glove side later in the game.  Actually it might have been more to the side than it was in.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you saw the play he did make coming in, it actually showed some more of the limitation of his glove work. The ball was sinking and instead of reversing his wrist to get his pocket down, he locked into an unnecessarily hard catch with his glove facing down on a sinking ball below his waist. You see this a lot  - guys relying on athleticism to make plays that would require less if they had developed more technique.

Greene’s sliding catch had some awkward glove positioning as well.  Rather than have the glove palm up, his palm was out as if high diving so to speak.  He made the play, but I’m not so sure about how his glove arm was handled.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t know.  Other OFs dealt with it today without dropping the ball.  Carpenter consistently has issues around the wall whether there is sun or not.

To his credit, he did have a nice play coming in on a ball to his glove side later in the game.  Actually it might have been more to the side than it was in.

I haven’t noticed his issues with the wall, but believe you guys.  I just know that Cleveland had also struggled with the sun in right field in an earlier game in this series.

Kind of like Tork trying to catch foul ball outs over his head—can’t seem to locate them.

Just now, Tenacious D said:

I haven’t noticed his issues with the wall, but believe you guys.  I just know that Cleveland had also struggled with the sun in right field in an earlier game in this series.

That’s true, they did dork one up in game 2 of the Friday doubleheader.

3 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

A game over .500 since the All-Star break, almost entirely on the backs of Greene, Tork, and Carpenter, and to a lesser extent Badoo (at least on offense). Easy upgrade to offense next year will be to get some power from the DH position (Malloy?). 

There are a few teams that have legitimate lineup depth but maybe the key to scoring runs is to just find 4-5 hitters that are good enough to overcome what you have to throw out there with the bottom of the order.  The Tigers feel like they are close to breaking out now and being a good team.  I don't think 3 good bats is enough to overcome the slumps players inevitably go thru unless you have a stud pitching staff.  Need at least 1 more legitimate bat, preferably 2.   

44 minutes ago, Hart said:

There are a few teams that have legitimate lineup depth but maybe the key to scoring runs is to just find 4-5 hitters that are good enough to overcome what you have to throw out there with the bottom of the order.  The Tigers feel like they are close to breaking out now and being a good team.  I don't think 3 good bats is enough to overcome the slumps players inevitably go thru unless you have a stud pitching staff.  Need at least 1 more legitimate bat, preferably 2.   

2 would be good. Between  off season moves and 3 high potential guys at AAA there is some hope.