The: "Can we not do this anymore?" 2024 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Another week another pipeline mock. We are about one month out. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-june-13?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

11. Tigers: Cam Caminiti, LHP, Saguaro HS, Ariz. (No. 17)
While they might entertain one of the hitters already off the board should they still be available, there has been more talk about arms here, with Caminiti, the top prep lefty in the class, getting the nod over a college pitcher like Trey Yesavage from East Carolina.

This would be the worst case scenario 

• Thanks 1

conventional wisdom for many teams is to not draft HS pitchers before a certain point and look at them only later in the draft; Avila defied that with Jobe at 3; if Harris and Co are going to take the risk of Caminiti, fine by me; they seem to know how to develop pitching; if he's worth the risk to them, take him

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I really don’t care who we draft—have not been engaged in this group.  Initial successful results with Clark and McGonigle have me optimistic that they know what they are doing.

I never really have an opinion on who they draft.  I love reading about them and speculating, but I don't think we can really project these guys especially after the first two picks.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

conventional wisdom for many teams is to not draft HS pitchers before a certain point and look at them only later in the draft; Avila defied that with Jobe at 3; if Harris and Co are going to take the risk of Caminiti, fine by me; they seem to know how to develop pitching; if he's worth the risk to them, take him

There seems to be a clear top tier of ten, Tigers draft at 11. Seldom does the draft proceed as projected, so hopefully one of the top hitters drops to them, if not then Caminiti would be an okay consolation.

BA on the Caminiti bandwagon as well. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-4-0-projecting-the-top-39-picks/

11. Tigers — Cam Caminiti, LHP, Saguaro HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.

While Yesavage is the top-ranked pitcher available on the board, Detroit has been linked heavily with Caminiti. He seems to have a number of potential landing spots in the 10-15 range. Given his age, I would assume the Guardians might love an opportunity to pay him over slot with their second pick, but I just don’t see him getting that far down the board with the heat he’s earning in the middle of the first. Caminiti has a power fastball, great athleticism and was consistently electric this spring with mixed opinions on the quality of his breaking stuff. There’s big-time upside and a lot to dream on here. 

42 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

BA on the Caminiti bandwagon as well. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-4-0-projecting-the-top-39-picks/

11. Tigers — Cam Caminiti, LHP, Saguaro HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.

While Yesavage is the top-ranked pitcher available on the board, Detroit has been linked heavily with Caminiti. He seems to have a number of potential landing spots in the 10-15 range. Given his age, I would assume the Guardians might love an opportunity to pay him over slot with their second pick, but I just don’t see him getting that far down the board with the heat he’s earning in the middle of the first. Caminiti has a power fastball, great athleticism and was consistently electric this spring with mixed opinions on the quality of his breaking stuff. There’s big-time upside and a lot to dream on here. 

as Chris Brown pointed out the Tigers  braintrust probaly saw him during the off day when the Tigers played the Dbacks.... hes realy the anti-Jobe he doesnt have alot of spin according to Chris whos been watching him

18 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

as Chris Brown pointed out the Tigers  braintrust probaly saw him during the off day when the Tigers played the Dbacks.... hes realy the anti-Jobe he doesnt have alot of spin according to Chris whos been watching him

The draft combine is this week so it will be interesting to see what data points come out of that especially with regards to pitchers.

On 6/14/2024 at 10:28 AM, Tiger337 said:

I never really have an opinion on who they draft.  I love reading about them and speculating, but I don't think we can really project these guys especially after the first two picks.  

Same here.  I guess the only preferences that I might have revolve around defensive position.  If there are more than one player at a spot that seems reasonable, go with someone that plays up the middle.  SS, CF, or SP, in no particular order.

I do find some of the financial bonus money pool factors interesting, and the strategies that are involved.  I might not always agree with them, but what the heck do I know.

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

True...King hs a really high chase rate...but he also has a very quick swing...he can be coached...can't he?

Depends. Not sure you can teach/coach pitch recognition. That may or may not be why a guy is a free swinger but if it is, I’d just stay away. 

ESPN mock draft for 2 rounds

11. Detroit Tigers

Cam Caminiti, LHP, Saguaro (Ariz.) HS

Detroit is considering all player demographics here and seems to be primed to jump on any player who slips to this pick as opposed to targeting a certain type. Caminiti (cousin of Ken) should go in the next few picks if he doesn't go here, and I think Griffin would also get a long look if he makes it to this pick. Kurtz, Tibbs and Yesavage also fit depending on where Detroit leans in terms of price and risk profile. It seems prep 3B Chase Harlan would be the choice for the Tigers' next pick if he's still available.

49. Detroit Tigers: Chase Harlan, 3B, Central Bucks East (Penn.) HS

72. Detroit Tigers: Colby Shelton, SS, Florida

KLaw 11. Detroit Tigers: Konnor Griffin, OF, Jackson (Miss.) Prep - Griffin is the high-ceiling, high-risk guy among the prep players and could still end up in the top 10. I also think the Tigers would be on Rainer or Montgomery, depending on who gets here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

ESPN mock draft for 2 rounds

11. Detroit Tigers

Cam Caminiti, LHP, Saguaro (Ariz.) HS

Detroit is considering all player demographics here and seems to be primed to jump on any player who slips to this pick as opposed to targeting a certain type. Caminiti (cousin of Ken) should go in the next few picks if he doesn't go here, and I think Griffin would also get a long look if he makes it to this pick. Kurtz, Tibbs and Yesavage also fit depending on where Detroit leans in terms of price and risk profile. It seems prep 3B Chase Harlan would be the choice for the Tigers' next pick if he's still available.

49. Detroit Tigers: Chase Harlan, 3B, Central Bucks East (Penn.) HS

72. Detroit Tigers: Colby Shelton, SS, Florida

If they are in on Harlan he certainly has some BP power. On the first day of the draft combine he hit the ball the farthest and had some of the highest EV on the day. 
https://www.mlb.com/news/2024-draft-combine-day-1-standouts?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Exit velo:
Jared Jones -- 113.4
Chase Harlan (No. 124) -- 112.4
Myles Bailey -- 111.7
PJ Morlando -- 111.7
Jones -- 111.4
Morlando -- 111.1
Harlan -- 111
Bailey -- 110.9
Morlando -- 110.7
Jones -- 110.2
Griffin Burkholder (No. 80) -- 110.2
Morlando -- 110.2

Distance:
Harlan -- 453.4
Jones -- 452.3
Jones -- 450.2
Morlando -- 445.2
Morlando -- 444.6
Bailey -- 439.5
Jones -- 437.9
Harlan -- 436.8
Carter Mathison (NR) -- 436.3
Morlando -- 428.6

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

I've seen some mock drafts that have Wake Forest 1b Nick Kurtz falling out of the top 10.  Would you take a flyer on a 1b only with that kind of power potential if he's there at 12?  Given Tork's issues and perceived unwillingness to address them...I would

Sure, based on talent and nothing to do with Torkelson.

There's a reason why 1st basemen never go super high in the draft...except for when Avila picks.  It's one of the easiest positions to find hitting talent.  So unless the guy ends up top 3 in the league, it really is a bad positional selection.  Shortstops or outfielders offer  the best positional value.

But the Tigers always seem to have the smartest guy in the room in charge.

Edited by tiger2022