The: "Can we not do this anymore?" 2024 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

From the story:

About a month ago, Swanson took a trip to Detroit to pitch in front of the Tigers’ front office. It was the only team he had time to show his talents to, and immediately made an impression.

“They’re excited to get me," he said. "They paid good money for me. I feel they got the steal of the draft.”

Well, at least somebody thinks so, anyway! 

Certainly does not lack confidence. 

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I should have expounded more on this in drafting prep players you more likely have to spend more money working on things that they have may have got in college which ...

Well...

The flipside is that sometimes you have to spend money/ time/ effort on college players trying to "UN-learn" them from any bad habits that they may have learned there. Or, they may be completely unwilling to change bad habits from college where they actually were successful with them there (IE: Tork and his swing...).

Thus, some teams prefer prep kids (even though they cost more to sign than college seniors who have run out of time/ negotiating power...) because they can teach them from the ground up, with (hopefully) successful developmental habits.

3 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I should have expounded more on this in drafting prep players you more likely have to spend more money working on things that they have may have got in college which may be why some orgs prefer college to prep. I could also be completely wrong 😅.

I think most teams would prefer HS to college, so they can take their time and train how they want to train, and have more games to play, etc. Financially, it makes more sense at times to draft college players.

• Like 1

You can never really be too black and white one way or the other though - some kids at 18 just don't show where they will be in a couple of years because their physical development is on a slower clock. So there will always be prospects that never showed up on the radar at 18 that show up on the scene as college players. But I would agree that if you see what you think is a potential all-start bat like Riley at 18, you want them in your system as young as possible.

On 7/21/2024 at 12:00 PM, Cruzer1 said:

I think most teams would prefer HS to college, so they can take their time and train how they want to train, and have more games to play, etc. Financially, it makes more sense at times to draft college players.

In looking at how pitchers have been used in college I think I may prefer having pitchers come straight from high school.  You can put together a stronger/better plan on how to implement growth and manage the workload vs college teams which don't always do that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

On one of the Tiger podcasts, a comment was made that we won’t likely see any of the top 3 picks play this season.  I understand the conservative approach with the pitchers, but anyone know why Rainer wouldn’t play?  

He won't sign in time?  BTW has Maybin signed yet?

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

On one of the Tiger podcasts, a comment was made that we won’t likely see any of the top 3 picks play this season.  I understand the conservative approach with the pitchers, but anyone know why Rainer wouldn’t play?  

I would be shocked if we didn't see Rainer in Lakeland. Yeah, the other two make sense, but Rainer will at least get a taste of pro ball.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Unless they are speaking with inside info, it would certainly be surprising not to see Rainer play. Both Clark and McGonigle played last year.

46 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

In looking at how pitchers have been used in college I think I may prefer having pitchers come straight from high school.  You can put together a stronger/better plan on how to implement growth and manage the workload vs college teams which don't always do that.

Usually yes, but financially teams get more for the money out of college pitching.

40 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

the draft being later and the rookie league season ends at the end of month I believe

21 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Only 90K above slot, I was expecting more since he was arguably the best prep bat in the class. 

That doesn't happen a ton for first round guys anymore. They lost a ton of leverage. Teams know if they don't they just get the same pick next year and none of the top HS guys really want to go to college anyway and put it all at risk. 

16 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Did we sign the two important outstanding picks yet ? I think Swanson round 9 and the lefty supplemental Sch……. ?

nothing official; Swanson told local media he was signing for 3rd round money. they would have had a general understanding with the CBP guy before they drafted him

• Like 1