The: "Can we not do this anymore?" 2024 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

I don't remember all the names...

I just remember that I had the #'s (draft round) 11 and 13 stuck in my head as who I wanted signed more than others...

(Stop being lazy 84 and go back and look... or pull it up online...)

assuming nothing odd about last few unsigned guys taken 11-20, they have about 2.6M left to spend on 3 HS pitchers from CBP, 9th and 16th rounds. If CBP get 1M and 9th rounder get 600K, you can offer 1M to 16th round pitcher who said he did not even watch draft because he's going to Tenn. Does not sound like that will change his mind but you never know.

from free Baseball America article:

Detroit Tigers
Josh Randall, RHP, 3rd Round
I only have a three-pitch sample for Randall’s four-seamer, but it’s a fantastic cut fastball that grades out extremely well and show plus velo at 95-96 mph. He throws basically fully sidearm, so the 15 inches of IVB he gets on the pitch is well above average (about +4 inches with the college baseball). The slider is a high-rpm monster with incredibly low spin efficiency. He mostly threw the sinker in the data I have, but I’m more excited by the fastball/slider pair. He’s a very intriguing arm that also had a decent 2024 season in college.

Michael Massey, RHP, 4th Round
Another Wake Forest alum with great fastball shape, Massey (not to be confused with the Royals second baseman) throws his fastball 94-95 mph with almost 20 inches of IVB/flight from a high three-quarters slot. From a pure shape standpoint, it looks a lot like Chase Burns, except 3-4 mph slower. It’s a potentially plus or better pitch from a pitch quality perspective.

His slider has great shape with extremely low spin efficiency, but he doesn’t throw it hard enough yet, nor does he have the ability to spin it. Nevertheless, this is already a good pitch shape-wise and is a couple of development tweaks away from being an excellent pitch. This is a fantastic get in the fourth round, as the high-vert/plus-velo fastball and high-gyro slider pair is a tremendous foundation on which to build a repertoire, all packaged in a starter’s 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame. I love this pick for the Tigers.

Ethan Sloan, LHP, 8th Round
Sloan throws both a sinker and a fastball from an extreme angle. He somehow gets 15 inches of IVB/flight on both pitch shapes, with the sinker getting about 6 inches more run than the fastball. Both pitches will likely play given the extreme release point, which is almost 4.4 feet away from the center of the rubber. His slider had one of the lowest estimated spin efficiencies in the data set and excellent spin rates. This looks like the type of arm that will work very well as a lefty-one-inning guy in the bullpen, with a slight chance he can make it work as a funky lefty starter.

Micah Ashman, 11th Round
Ashman stands 6-foot-7 and only 195 pounds and had decent success as a reliever in 2024, throwing mostly just a fastball and sinker. He’s able to command the pitches well, so this is likely a development bet hoping he can add velocity once he fills out his frame with the help of pro-level athletic training. The fastball shape is close enough that this profile could become viable if his fastball suddenly jumps into the 94-95 range. None of his secondary pitches are interesting at the moment.

Preston Howey, 14th Round
We go from a 6-foot-7 pitcher to a 5-foot-10 pitcher with a 95 mph fastball that might work as a cut-fastball if he lowers the spin efficiency on the pitch. He pairs that with a low-spin efficiency cutter at 88 that should play well off the fastball. It’s a pretty nice find for the 14th round.

Anson Seibert, 16th Round
A 6-foot-8, 235-pound pitcher with a 92-93 mph, 2500 rpm fastball with almost 19 inches of IVB in the 16th round? This is a nice get by the Tigers here. He’s old for a high school pitcher at 19, but if I’m the Tigers, I’m ecstatic to get a 19-year-old that already shows near-average velo, has ability to spin, can get ride on the fastball and has a massive frame to dream on for velocity projection. I loved this pick by the Tigers, however, it looks like he won’t sign

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Chase Davis only remaining unsigned outside of the kid who is going to Tennessee.

Wasn’t that a good get ? He wasn’t a sure thing to sign if I remember correctly. 

any chance for the 16 th rounder Seibert ? Or was he just picked in case an earlier round didn’t sign ? 

3 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Wasn’t that a good get ? He wasn’t a sure thing to sign if I remember correctly. 

any chance for the 16 th rounder Seibert ? Or was he just picked in case an earlier round didn’t sign ? 

Swanson was pretty highly rated and unfortunately Seibert has said he's going to Tennessee. 

if you add up the current reported unofficial bonuses, the Tigers come in $7,110 over 105% which would mean they lose their 1st round pick next year; obviously, 3 of the reported bonuses (probably Rainer, Hall and Randall?) need to be reduced by the standard $2,500 contingency bonus which does not count against the pool. that must to be true otherwise a whole lot of people are losing their jobs for not being able to add. assuming that is correct, they have $390 left, I think they spent 104.99673% of pool

Just now, RatkoVarda said:

if you add up the current reported unofficial bonuses, the Tigers come in $7,110 over 105% which would mean they lose their 1st round pick next year; obviously, 3 of the reported bonuses (probably Rainer, Hall and Randall?) need to be reduced by the standard $2,500 contingency bonus which does not count against the pool. that must to be true otherwise a whole lot of people are losing their jobs for not being able to add. assuming that is correct, they have $390 left, I think they spent 104.99673% of pool

BA has everything with the $2,500 bonus subtracted. MLB's website rounds everything in the 7 digits to the nearest 10K. I use BA.

• Like 1