The: "Can we not do this anymore?" 2024 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Most orgs have enough guys that start at 3B and don't have the arm or as MIF and simply outgrow their quickness that they don't have trouble finding guys to move to 1st in the natural course of things. That said, with the National league adopting the DH, more than ever there is always a place for a great bat 

That’s Tork’s only hope anymore. 

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

I meant if he doesn't hit enough for Detroit (low bar), a different team may give him a chance to DH for them. But yeah, he has to hit to keep playing (at least, for most teams.)

That would require us to release Tork or accept a bag of balls for him. But I guess at a certain point he becomes a sunk cost anyway. 🤷‍♂️

One thing Avila and Smith had in common is they had to take over at a time when bills were coming due for expensive teams that fell short. I'm not saying they could have done better on the 2017 trades, but there is ample evidence those were owner-mandated (and perhaps league-mandated via the debt service rule) salary dump trades for a team that was bleeding money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

He can hit. He has the ability. Does he need to make some adjustments, sure. Will he? Who knows.

Yup - the thing with Tork is that you do get the impression that enough of his problem is approach that if the right voice could get in his ear, he might finally wise up. 

But for me this is also hitting on a more fundamental issue with the Tigers. This regime came in pushing the idea of cutting down on OOZ swing - and that's fine as far as it goes. But Hinch gave away the dirty secret the other day in the post game - the Tigers real hitting problem is getting beat *in the strike zone*. Overcoming that problem is a completely different animal than just preaching plate discipline - it's finding a way to help guys cover/defend more of the K zone. The question is what do they have in their bag of tricks for their hitters in that regard?

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

And that’s when you make lemonade, or in this case, beat that horse every chance you get. Do it, do it now. 😎

In Torkelson's case, the only reason one tries is realistically it doesn't block anyone else from being developed. In my mind, the moment a prospect arrives that continued efforts with Tork would hinder the new guy's development,  Is the moment I would send Tork packing. He is what he is: a failed number 1 prospect. It happens all of the time in baseball.

23 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Looks like we're going to have to do this AGAIN, for at least one more year (watch the season ending losses to figure out where in the top 10 of next year's draft that we'll have a chance at getting to...).

Sad.

😒

PS: As an aside...

We're currently tied with the Rangers for #6.

I'll revisit this in September... with 2025's Draft thread...