TV Series

On 4/14/2024 at 8:15 PM, Toddwert said:

anyone else watching Fallout on Prime its based on the video game series its in a post-apocalyptic world with different factions of survivors of a nuclear war. The vibe of world is kind of if the 1950's never went away.... only 2 episodes in and I like it so far

I am 3-4 episodes in and think really enjoying it. I never played the game but just like "The last of us" fantastic character acting. Walton Goggins as Cooper Howard is a perfect fit.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:09 PM, John_Brian_K said:

1-1/2 episodes into 3 Body Problem....and gotta say this is my kind of series.  Really enjoying all the possibilities.

The show is good but I ended up a bit disappointed.  It didn’t sustain the incredible momentum it built in the first 3 episodes.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished season 2 of the The Jinx.  Instead of just following the trial which I think anyone that watched the Jinx likely followed a bit, they went into those around Durst and questions just how culpable they should be.  

Posted (edited)

I started Fallout on Prime. I'm not a gamer, so I can't speak to anything about its connection to the video game, but I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I'll definitely stick with it, especially since Walton Goggins is in it. He makes every show he's in better.

Edited by Shades of Deivi Cruz

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Kristen Stewart will play Sally Ride in Amazon's limited series about The Challenger.

Spoiler alert: she dies in the end.

Sally Ride wasn’t on Challenger.  She did die but in 2012.  First US female and the youngest at age 32.   Christa McCauliffe was the teacher on challenger. Is that who she is playing or is it Ride?

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Sally Ride wasn’t on Challenger.  She did die but in 2012.  First US female and the youngest at age 32.   Christa McCauliffe was the teacher on challenger. Is that who she is playing or is it Ride?

My bad.  That is what I get for only reading the headline.

It is called The Challenger but its about her on the Rogers Commission that investigated the crash.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just finished Fargo series.  That was really good, last season was really something.

now we're starting the Chernobyl docuseries on Max, which also seems really good 2 eps in.

Neither of us have seen the Wire either so that's next.  Considering Newsroom as well. 

Edited by pfife

Fargo & Chernobyl were brilliant!

Have you seen Shogun, A Small Light, or White House Plumbers? More brilliance!

Also: Andor... if you're into Star Wars.

And if you like the Beatles: Get Back and If These Walls Could Sing... (not series but 1-show doc's).

• Like 1

Watched the first two episodes of The Acolyte.   I like the Star Wars universe so I like the show.  

Can’t help but feel we’ve  reached the point where all of the new Disney+ SW shows are sort of the same.  Flying around from world to world trying to figure out the mystery bad guy while delving into the murky past of the main characters.  Need more variety in story telling.    Hard to tell much of a difference in this one from Mando, Boba, Obi-Wan, Ashoka.  Andor is the only on that followed a different model.    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It is called The Challenger but its about her on the Rogers Commission that investigated the crash.

Yeah I saw another story on it. The book it is based on covered the class Ride was on. It was picked especially for diversity.  There’s a challenger series on Netflix now and in it they show Cronkite’s broadcast announcing the new group.  Paraphrasing the numbers he says “among them are 2 blacks, a woman, and an oriental”

given who is involved this one sounds great.  The best space show ever is HBO’s From the Earth to the Moon. That set the stage for Band of Brothers and John Adams and the Pacific. Showed HBO that model could work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I concur.

I watch an episode at least once a month. My favorites were the one covering Apollo 9 and the development of the LM (Spider), Apollo 12 and their friendship, and Apollo 15 with the work on science and geology. 

42 minutes ago, oblong said:

I watch an episode at least once a month. My favorites were the one covering Apollo 9 and the development of the LM (Spider), Apollo 12 and their friendship, and Apollo 15 with the work on science and geology. 

I don't watch an episode every month.

But I've binged it 6 times.

It's too hard for me to pick out any favorite episode. Or even 3. I love the 1st. I love the last, "Le Voyage Dans La Lune". I love the 3 you mentioned. I love the 3rd where they're taking so much care to inspect & double-check after the disastrous fire. I love 1968: "You saved 1968!"  I find it impossible to choose...

Agree.  I like them all and because of that can watch any time. I throw an episode on while I work as background noise.   The only one I didn’t care as much for as the others was other one on Apollo  13 but I understand why they did it that way.  They just made a movie so recreating that would be silly. But given they changed it to focus from the media side and they made up the two media guys… then it’s not that interesting to me.   One cool thing about the final episode was they had a brief scene with the guy who played Deke in Apollo 13 in a shot with the guy playing him in the series. 

On 6/8/2024 at 9:02 AM, 1984Echoes said:

Fargo & Chernobyl were brilliant!

Have you seen Shogun, A Small Light, or White House Plumbers? More brilliance!

Also: Andor... if you're into Star Wars.

And if you like the Beatles: Get Back and If These Walls Could Sing... (not series but 1-show doc's).

Andor if you are into what Star Wars could be, not the kiddie show most of the content has become.

On 6/8/2024 at 1:02 AM, Deleterious said:

Allan MacDonald is honestly one of my professional heroes.