TV Series

7 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

A bit related the CNN archives has a good documentary on the Columbia, the post flight investigation and influence on the US Space program. Very interesting report

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/13/world/columbia-space-shuttle-disaster-nasa-scn/index.html

It was.  I read a book about it's recovery called Bringing Columbia Home.   

Columbia was a bit different than Challenger in one way.  Tile damage was a known defect on these missions.   The controversey was the management's disregard of the problem once it was noticed on that mission.  But it's also not clear what could have been done to save them at that point.  A rescue mission is pretty much science fiction with a million things having to go right just to have a chance.  Prepping a shuttle launch takes time, plus you have crew training to go through.  It's not just a car you hop in and drive away.  There were limited resources aboard columbia.   Later on after resuming missions they did have a standby mission ready in case they had to do it but it was complex.  The Shuttle also couldn't dock with the ISS while they figured it out.  Not enough fuel to do that.  The only realistic option would have been trying to alter their reentry to avoid as much as possible the contact on the affected area.  And tragically.... they could have allowed the families to sort of 'say goodbye' as they tried it.

But as the doc explains.... leadership didn't think there was a problem to solve.

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

It was.  I read a book about it's recovery called Bringing Columbia Home.   

Columbia was a bit different than Challenger in one way.  Tile damage was a known defect on these missions.   The controversey was the management's disregard of the problem once it was noticed on that mission.  But it's also not clear what could have been done to save them at that point.  A rescue mission is pretty much science fiction with a million things having to go right just to have a chance.  Prepping a shuttle launch takes time, plus you have crew training to go through.  It's not just a car you hop in and drive away.  There were limited resources aboard columbia.   Later on after resuming missions they did have a standby mission ready in case they had to do it but it was complex.  The Shuttle also couldn't dock with the ISS while they figured it out.  Not enough fuel to do that.  The only realistic option would have been trying to alter their reentry to avoid as much as possible the contact on the affected area.  And tragically.... they could have allowed the families to sort of 'say goodbye' as they tried it.

But as the doc explains.... leadership didn't think there was a problem to solve.

The whole discussion that the foam tiles couldn't have possibly caused that serious damage was particularly infuriating and interesting until testing proved it was indeed possible.

Along with the fact that something similar had happened on an earlier flight...

Edited by CMRivdogs

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

******Spoiler for episode 1-5 of The Bear's new season *************

This season kinda stinks so far.  We would normally have this watched in a day or two.  We are only on episode 6, but it sucks so far.

I actually started episode one last night, and fell asleep about 15 minutes into it, which never ever ever ever happens to me. I don’t fall asleep watching TV or movies.

Maybe I was just really tired? But I’m having a feeling this show might not be up to snuff. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I crapped out of the Bear a few minutes into the second episode of the first season. I just couldn't connect to the characters, and I'm not a fan of shows about damaged people that induces anxiety in me as I watch it.

Edited by chasfh

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 10:31 PM, Deleterious said:

******Spoiler for episode 1-5 of The Bear's new season *************

This season kinda stinks so far.  We would normally have this watched in a day or two.  We are only on episode 6, but it sucks so far.

They spent the last 2 seasons developing very complex and interesting characters that people want to watch.   This season they oddly chose to let them essentially freestyle without any plot or story to engage the viewer.   It doesn’t work.  

We watched the first 4 episodes of season 3 and kind of forgot about it and moved on to catching up on X Men and Deadpool stuff. The best part of the series to me was the characters.  Disappointing if they moved away from that.  

1 minute ago, oblong said:

We watched the first 4 episodes of season 3 and kind of forgot about it and moved on to catching up on X Men and Deadpool stuff. The best part of the series to me was the characters.  Disappointing if they moved away from that.  

They didn’t move away from the characters.  They just don’t do anything of substance.  

It would be like if the X Men weren’t trying to save something or defeat someone.  It was just a show about a regular day in the life of Wolverine and Deadpool and they just cooked alot and cleaned up a restaurant.   The viewer is waiting for something to happen and it just never really does.   

17 hours ago, Hongbit said:

They spent the last 2 seasons developing very complex and interesting characters that people want to watch.   This season they oddly chose to let them essentially freestyle without any plot or story to engage the viewer.   It doesn’t work.  

This happens to far too many series that have promising beginnings: they start to believe their press clippings, so they start producing self-indulgent nonsense.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This happens to far too many series that have promising beginnings: they start to believe their press clippings, so they start producing self-indulgent nonsense.

Or they just won't pay their original writers what they are demanding to stay on and end up with the 2nd string doing their scripts.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Or they just won't pay their original writers what they are demanding to stay on and end up with the 2nd string doing their scripts.....

Is that the deal with the Bear?

On 7/6/2024 at 6:41 AM, smr-nj said:

I actually started episode one last night, and fell asleep about 15 minutes into it, which never ever ever ever happens to me. I don’t fall asleep watching TV or movies.

Maybe I was just really tired? But I’m having a feeling this show might not be up to snuff. 

So yesterday, I decided to try season three episode one of The Bear again. Let me just say that my previous comment about the show not being up to snuff was …WRONG.🤪😎 (I think my problem was that I started to watch that first episode a couple of months ago right at bedtime, and I was obviously just too tired to stay awake during.)

I watched the first three episode yesterday afternoon, and absolutely loved them. ❤️

Yes it’s different from seasons  one and two, but I’m kind of enjoying the introspection of the characters so far. 

So, I’ll just have to disagree with the rest of you guys who have not been happy with season three of The Bear,  and as we all know, I’m never wrong.😁

Another two series  I really love are “Troppo” on Prime, and “The Flight Attendant” on Max.

Both have kinda crazy, impulsive female leads. “Flight Attendant” is a comedy/murder mystery. “Troppo” is a murder mystery without the comedy.

12 hours ago, smr-nj said:

So yesterday, I decided to try season three episode one of The Bear again. Let me just say that my previous comment about the show not being up to snuff was …WRONG.🤪😎 (I think my problem was that I started to watch that first episode a couple of months ago right at bedtime, and I was obviously just too tired to stay awake during.)

I watched the first three episode yesterday afternoon, and absolutely loved them. ❤️

Yes it’s different from seasons  one and two, but I’m kind of enjoying the introspection of the characters so far. 

So, I’ll just have to disagree with the rest of you guys who have not been happy with season three of The Bear,  and as we all know, I’m never wrong.😁

Talk to us when if/when you finish.  I absolutely thought the show was a masterpiece.  Loved the first two seasons.  I even liked the first 3 episodes this season.  I couldn’t make it and stopped during episode 8.    Episodes 6 and 7 drift into random tangents and are excruciatingly bad. 

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Talk to us when if/when you finish.  I absolutely thought the show was a masterpiece.  Loved the first two seasons.  I even liked the first 3 episodes this season.  I couldn’t make it and stopped during episode 8.    Episodes 6 and 7 drift into random tangents and are excruciatingly bad. 

Omg… so, yeah… I wrote that after watching the first three episodes of season three which I really enjoyed. Then I watched the fourth episode and thought it was a disaster. Lol. I’ll continue to watch but if episode four is any indication this is going to be tough to watch to the end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2024 at 5:10 PM, smr-nj said:

The Serpent Queen - season 1 on Amazon, for another week or so.

Really good….the second season is on Starz, but I’ll wait for it to pop up on Amazon eventually.

Looks good!

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Looks good!

I actually didn’t wanna wait for it to pop up on prime for season two, so I called my cable company and got them to give me stars. I thought I’d do it for one month, but then they said they had a six month free trial so I said sign me up! Lol. 

6 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I actually didn’t wanna wait for it to pop up on prime for season two, so I called my cable company and got them to give me stars. I thought I’d do it for one month, but then they said they had a six month free trial so I said sign me up! Lol. 

Put Outlander in the queue. My wife loves that show and it’s the reason we pay too much for Starz.    She loves Serpent Queen too. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Put Outlander in the queue. My wife loves that show and it’s the reason we pay too much for Starz.    She loves Serpent Queen too. 

I read the book a long time ago, but haven’t ever seen the series… I will definitely put it on my list. Thanks 🙂

(And I really do have the intention of dropping Starz before my 6 months free time is up.  I already put an alert on my phone for January 2nd to call and cancel 😂)