2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

On 10/1/2023 at 4:49 PM, HeyAbbott said:

I simply must take the time to say that this post absolutely nails the sentiments I have,

As I rise to my feet IĀ  say, as they say in the British Parliament, "To the right honorable chasfh, Hear!! Hear!!"

It's not often I am called "right" here, and I'm not sure I have ever been accused of being honorable. šŸ˜‰šŸ˜…

I would take a middling/league average type vs lighting at-bats on fire with Maton..in the name of misguided player development.

If you see stories about how they fixed Maton's pitch recognition and swing, then they are going to try that again.

Free agency should be about floor raisers. Development is where you get high ceiling types.

Tigers (8)

A Meadows will be non-tendered IMO...Alexander not sure on(edit. meant Wingenter).

I don't get the Turnbull thing.

Ā 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-for-2024.html

Edited by kdog

Weā€™re probably going to have to be careful how we handle Austin Meadows. It would be a really bad look for the organization Ā to unceremoniously dump him after his well-publicized mental health struggles, and I would be frankly shocked if we went that route. On the other hand, we canā€™t go to arbitration and pay him another $4 million to get better. Thereā€™s a reasonable limit to the compassion the Tigers are required to show. The best move would probably be to offer him a minor league contract. If he accepts, maybe he finds some way to work his way back, and if he sadly canā€™t, itā€™s a fair effort on both sides. If he turns down the minors contract, if he ends up leaving the organization, then itā€™s his decision, as it should be.Ā 

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Weā€™re probably going to have to be careful how we handle Austin Meadows. It would be a really bad look for the organization Ā to unceremoniously dump him after his well-publicized mental health struggles, and I would be frankly shocked if we went that route. On the other hand, we canā€™t go to arbitration and pay him another $4 million to get better. Thereā€™s a reasonable limit to the compassion the Tigers are required to show. The best move would probably be to offer him a minor league contract. If he accepts, maybe he finds some way to work his way back, and if he sadly canā€™t, itā€™s a fair effort on both sides. If he turns down the minors contract, if he ends up leaving the organization, then itā€™s his decision, as it should be.Ā 

it's not the 4-5 million I'm worried about; it's the roster spot. A few options:

Non-tender and immediately turn around and sign a minor league deal, heavily incentive laden. Promote him and 60-day him in Spring Training if he isn't ready, that way he's taken care of and isn't tying down a roster spot over the offseason, but he is still taken care of.

The restricted list, if things are looking particularly dire like he won't play next season. There's a bunch of red tape (Google Major League Rules, pull up the PDF and read the three pages on the Restricted List). A player on the restricted list isn't paid, doesn't accrue service time, and isn't counting against the roster in the offseason. But... like Andrew Toles on the Dodgers... a player on the restricted list does get health benefits. I don't know if it is an option, but it might be a way out of the situation until he is better. The fact that they didn't go that route so far tells me he may not meet all the requirements.

21 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

it's not the 4-5 million I'm worried about; it's the roster spot. A few options:

Non-tender and immediately turn around and sign a minor league deal, heavily incentive laden. Promote him and 60-day him in Spring Training if he isn't ready, that way he's taken care of and isn't tying down a roster spot over the offseason, but he is still taken care of.

The restricted list, if things are looking particularly dire like he won't play next season. There's a bunch of red tape (Google Major League Rules, pull up the PDF and read the three pages on the Restricted List). A player on the restricted list isn't paid, doesn't accrue service time, and isn't counting against the roster in the offseason. But... like Andrew Toles on the Dodgers... a player on the restricted list does get health benefits. I don't know if it is an option, but it might be a way out of the situation until he is better. The fact that they didn't go that route so far tells me he may not meet all the requirements.

This assumes he is even interested in continuing a baseball career. Does anyone know that? I can't see the Tigers doing anything low class. OTOH, they have paid him $8.3M for 42 games over 2 yrs. There would be no reason he should be suffering financially that he needs to remain a ward of the Tigers.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

The Tigers have done more than enough to help and give him time.Ā 

There is no BP hit or 'really bad look' if they non-tender him. It's a business people get that. Nobody would hold it against us to non-tender him after paying him what like $7 million for 43 games.Ā 

• Like 5

Austin was declining as a player in his last year in Tampa and now after two full seasons of basically not playing it's doubtful he will/can return. Struggling in front of large crowds seems counter productive. He has earned well during his career. IIRC he recently had a child so he should retire and enjoy his family while taking care of his challenges. The Tigers have been more than good to him but if they wish to help with his medical care and provide access to his brother and the field for exercise then that would be great.Ā 

Personally I think Tampa should step up and lend a hand as well. He gave them many good years and to just leave it to Detroit is bad form. Perhaps they are/will.

18 hours ago, KL2 said:

The Tigers have done more than enough to help and give him time.Ā 

There is no BP hit or 'really bad look' if they non-tender him. It's a business people get that. Nobody would hold it against us to non-tender him after paying him what like $7 million for 43 games.Ā 

I would be surprised if we simply non-tender him without comment and let that just be the end of it. Some fans may not care either way but I donā€™t think the team will take the risk coming off lookingĀ heartless by doing that.

BTW, whatā€™s a ā€œBP hitā€? Is that a bullpen hit, a batting practice hit, something else? I canā€™t keep up with the changing acronyms anymore ā€¦ šŸ˜‰