2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm fascinated by Excel's ability to automatically update tables connected to websites or databases.

There is no end to where you can take it. I used to assemble XL systems that pulled data from industrial instrumentation databases, process it into live real time diagnostic reports and then have those send their data into monthly financial reports. Stiffness was really problem though - when something broke.....

The funny thing is that the stuff you code in VB you can at least comment. There's no neat way I ever came up that I liked to embed the documentation information about what a spreadsheet is doing inside the spreadsheet at the cellular level. You can add text to backing sheets or stash text in hidden rows and columns. Workable at some level, but all kludges.

I do not remember those tasks fondly.

Edited by gehringer_2

One more outright restriction I couldn't really wedge into the sheet. If a player is injured he can only be outrighted in the window between the end of the season and when 40 man rosters are set on November 17. So... if you have Freddy Pacheco and don't think he's going to last the offseason on the 40 man, you want to outright him before November 17 or non-tender him. If not, you may have to pass somebody you don't want to lose through waivers later in the offseason. There are financial reasons to non-tender guys like him that I may get into later.

On Petzold and Voldemort's pod, they posited that the Tigers would be content with adding at least 3 rookies(JHM, Keith, and Jung) and roll into 2024 as another evaluation season. Voldemort pushed back on that thinking...given how low the payroll is now.

The free agent class is terrible. However, I don't think you can sell a skeptical fanbase on just adding more young and untested hitters as a path to improving a still terrible offense.

Just now, kdog said:

On Petzold and Voldemort's pod, they posited that the Tigers would be content with adding at least 3 rookies(JHM, Keith, and Jung) and roll into 2024 as another evaluation season. Voldemort pushed back on that thinking...given how low the payroll is now.

The free agent class is terrible. However, I don't think you can sell a skeptical fanbase on just adding more young and untested hitters as a path to improving a still terrible offense.

Nine of the top ten free agents are pitchers (including Ohtani), so we will not be remaking our offense through the market, and the one hitter, Chapman, is probably going to sign with a team that can win in 2024. And I doubt Harris will deal from the top of the system to get an impact bat.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got one of those top ten pitchers, though. This team has a better rep for its pitching coaching, so pitchers may find this a more attractive destination than a hitter might at this moment. Lucas Giolito might be gettable.

5 minutes ago, kdog said:

There is quality on the pitching side though. Run prevention gets you there just as well as run scoring. Tigers  should be making a hard run at Gray or Snell.

19 minutes ago, kdog said:

Well you're other option is adding bad, overpriced aging hitters. 

I think the fan base is OK with the alternative. 

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is quality on the pitching side though. Run prevention gets you there just as well as run scoring. Tigers  should be making a hard run at Gray or Snell.

I would be fine with overextending on a pitcher...even with the implicit injury risk.

the argument that since we have a low payroll, we should spend in free agency to address our offense, is stupid.

Having said that, this is definitely Al Avila’s team, with the exception of Vierling, Holton and JHM.  Curious how comfortable Harris will be with a team that has the potential to get much better with a core that he inherited.  It’s a different situation than Dombrowski, who inherited bad contracts and a barren farm system.

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

the argument that since we have a low payroll, we should spend in free agency to address our offense, is stupid.

Having said that, this is definitely Al Avila’s team, with the exception of Vierling, Holton and JHM.  Curious how comfortable Harris will be with a team that has the potential to get much better with a core that he inherited.  It’s a different situation than Dombrowski, who inherited bad contracts and a barren farm system.

isnt that when exactly you should spend on offense??? this is insane

19 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

The free agent class is terrible. But there should be opportunity to find a team that wants to cut payroll and take a big contract off their hands to fill in offensive gaps.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, kdog said:

The free agent class is terrible. But there should be opportunity to find a team that wants to cut payroll and take a big contract off their hands to fill in offensive gaps.

Or take a contract to buy an MLB ready high level hitting prospect. The guy whose contract is being moved is probably being non-productive..... That's a trickier play but there are always some possibilities out there.

the Brewers are probably moving on from Corbin Burnes instead, but trading for Adames this winter and extending him is another way to go. player price would be high but he is coming off a bit of a down year.

defensively that would work, with Rogers-Adames-Baez-Meadows up the middle most days, then you can tolerate some lesser gloves on the corners.

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

Not when there aren’t any decent options.  The few will be overpaid and get too many years.  Absent of reasonable upgrades, Im good with Keith and JHM getting PT.

I am in support of going after a Tatis or Soto via trade.

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Not when there aren’t any decent options.  The few will be overpaid and get too many years.  Absent of reasonable upgrades, Im good with Keith and JHM getting PT.

They can kick the tires on Soto now, but he's a free agent after next season.  I know in theory they could lock him up before next offseason, but he's a Boras client, so that seems unlikely.

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Additionally...

Boras knows that we'll "play ball".

That was Dombrowski...

But I'll just guess that it still holds true under this new Admin/ owner.

Why should it be assumed that what occurred under a different owner & GM/president would occur again now with the current owner & president?

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

not what you said  and no one who wants them to spend said to throw money around like a drunken sailor

Edited by Toddwert

49 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Which teams have roster crunches and may have some guys on the back of the roster worth nabbing off waivers or a cash deal? The next Eddys Leonard?

Those are going to be your transactions between now and the end of November.

probably the best bet if you don't want to lose your money. 😉

I's also assume they aren't going to do anything to block Keith. If there is anyone in the system that is the real deal it's likely him.