2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

After a fantastic year at Erie in 2022, Perez was injured in March 2023.  He did some rehab in Lakeland, went to Erie...and stayed there, where it would seem that he had nothing left to prove.  He didn't play AAA until the end of July.  I found that to be very odd.

When he got to Toledo, he played 20 games in the outfield, and 14 at 2B.

I don't have any specific quotes from the organization.  That's because I've never heard any of them ever mention him at all.

After his year in Erie last year, I wanted him to start the year at 2B at  Toledo, and get called up at the All Star break.  In hindsight it is clear that that was never going to happen.

Management doesn't seem to love Wenceel as much as we do.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

... When he got to Toledo, he played 20 games in the outfield, and 14 at 2B...

Management doesn't seem to love Wenceel as much as we do.

I think that was more the Org pushing their versatility mantra rather than a final summation of where Wenceel should play (as a utility guy). Even if that might be all he is anyways. I'm still interested to see what happens on the field before calling it as one way or the other (or as a AAAA player, which may also be a possibility).

And I get you're trying to read tea leaves here (or the stark lack thereof...); but I'm going to stick with "just see what happens" or "see it to believe it", either of which works well enough for me. I don't believe a lack of touting a prospect necessarily = a lack of love.

But, we'll see...

I thought Wencel got the yips throwing from 2B and they moved him to the outfield. I could be wrong. Also I thought Keith was settled on  second base which is why Jung is playing third in the Fall league. I don't see Jung in Detroit next year given Harris promotion record. So that leaves us looking for that magical third baseman for 2024 until hopefully Jung has the position down defensively. 

12 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I thought Wencel got the yips throwing from 2B and they moved him to the outfield. I could be wrong. Also I thought Keith was settled on  second base which is why Jung is playing third in the Fall league. I don't see Jung in Detroit next year given Harris promotion record. So that leaves us looking for that magical third baseman for 2024 until hopefully Jung has the position down defensively. 

Jung's brother can give him some tips at third. He had a really nice year for Texas.