2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

10 hours ago, Toddwert said:

interesting who's getting the big Cut?

Well...

Assuming Eduardo opts out, Baez stays, the free agents move the 40-man down to 37.  Activating Alexander, Greene, Meadows, Mize, Pacheco gets you to 42. You have to cut 2. If you want to protect Keider Montero, you need to drop 3.

If you ask me, I'd say Andrew Vasquez, Trey Wingenter, Tyler Nevin, and Brenan Hanifee... But I could be wrong.

You can't outright Kelly or Meadows, so you have to wait to non-tender them. Pacheco also makes sense as a non-tender, and not an outright, due to how minor league contracts work after an outright.

Anybody injured or added to the 40 man after August 15 needs to be outrighted by roster protection deadline or non-tendered if you are going to remove them before spring training. Also, anybody who is eligible for minor league free agency needs to be outrighted before that deadline too, or else you are paying them major league money in the minor leagues next year.

Edited by Edman85

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

We've had that same hope dashed recently in Daz Cameron.

I think part of this fan base falls in love with sub-par players and then they get cut they act like we just cut Mike Trout .... how many old friends stories are we going to get from this off season...do other fan bases do this? it so annoying

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

did anyone do a deep dive into why AAA numbers were so bonkers in 2023? or maybe it does not need a deep dive, and it is as simple as "the pitching sucked"

Rules experimentation (robozone, challenge system), pre-tacked baseballs, MLB pitching injuries depleting AAA depth...

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I think part of this fan base falls in love with sub-par players and then they get cut they act like we just cut Mike Trout .... how many old friends stories are we going to get from this off season...do other fan bases do this? it so annoying

Gotta lay some of the responsibility on the beat writers. Between Chris McCoskey and Evan Woodbery, they seem way more interested in covering people that are no longer on the Tigers than the actual team.