2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Gotta lay some of the responsibility on the beat writers. Between Chris McCoskey and Evan Woodbery, they seem way more interested in covering people that are no longer on the Tigers than the actual team.

Beat writers are obsolete.  I can’t imagine many scenarios where an active player needs them or uses them.  They are outsiders and MLB has their own staffs and that of their TV and radio partners.  Players are walking corporations and don’t hang out in smoky bars shooting the **** with Joe Falls or Charlie Vincent.  So guys like Evan and Chris need content. 

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

It seems like an OPS+ or RC+ would be a more appropriate numerical evaluator for 2023?

The problem with that is I don't think it adjusts by time of year, just year in general. So if the run environment took off toward the end of the year (as pitching became more depleted), you may not get a fair comparison for people who were in AAA for part of the year. BP's numbers may be able to factor in opponent strength a bit better than the rest.

• Thanks 1

Toledo DRC+ (100 average) from BP. DRC isn't perfect but uses batted ball data, opponent strength, weather, etc. to suss out some things.

• Andy Ibanez 122
  • Tyler Nevin 117
  • Justyn-Henry Malloy 117
  • Wenceel Perez 110
  • Colt Keith 108
  • Mike Papierski 106
  • Zack Short 102
  • Ryan Kreidler 101
  • Parker Meadows 99
  • Eddys Leonard 99
  • Andre Lipcius 98
  • Nick Maton 95
  • Donny Sands 90
  • Justice Bigbie 88
  • Dillon Dingler 72

While I'm at it, Detroit.

• Andy Ibanez 112
  • Spencer Torkelson 109
  • Akil Baddoo 102
  • Matt Vierling 100
  • Kerry Carpenter 100
  • Riley Greene 98
  • Jake Rogers 98
  • Miguel Cabrera 96
  • Zach McKinstry 91
  • Parker Meadows 90
  • Tyler Nevin 89
  • Nick Maton 88
  • Andre Lipcius 88
  • Javier Baez 84
  • Carson Kelly 84
  • Jonathan Schoop 80
  • Jake Marisnick 79
  • Zack Short 79
  • Ryan Kreidler 76
  • Eric Haase 66

Erie

• Jake Holton 138
  • Colt Keith 132
  • Justice Bigbie 131
  • Jace Jung 128
  • Andrew Navigato 119
  • Wenceel Perez 111
  • Danny Cabrera 108
  • Dillon Dingler 108
  • Luis Santana 103
  • Trei Cruz 100
  • Danny Serretti 98
  • Julio Rodriguez 95
  • Mario Feliciano 94
  • Chris Meyers 89
  • Gage Workman 84
  • Ben Malgeri 83
  • Brady Allen 78

West Michigan

• Chris Meyers 139
  • Justice Bigbie 131
  • Brady Allen 130
  • Luke Gold 128
  • Jace Jung 125
  • Eliezer Alfonzo 117
  • Danny Serretti 113
  • Carlos Mendoza 110
  • Austin Murr 109
  • Roberto Campos 98
  • Gage Workman 93
  • Seth Stephenson 92
  • Josh Crouch 91
  • Andrew Jenkins 82
  • Izaac Pacheco 78
  • Dom Johnson 73

Lakeland

• Bennett Lee 126
  • Kevin McGonigle 121
  • Lazaro Benitez 117
  • Brett Callahan 111
  • Josue Briceno 111
  • Luke Gold 109
  • Cristian Santana 107
  • Seth Stephenson 105
  • David Smith 104
  • Peyton Graham 103
  • Max Anderson 102
  • Jim Jarvis 102
  • Dom Johnson 101
  • Max Clark 95
  • JD McLaughlin 94
  • Jose De La Cruz 90
  • Andrew Jenkins 88
  • Abel Bastidas 84
  • Carlos Pelegrin 82
  • Cole Turney 76
  • Adinso Reyes 76

27 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I think thats always been a thing with Tigers fans.... Players like Jim Walewander, Brand Inge and Don Kelly were loved way more then their value and maybe all teams fans do that I just dont know

I know he struck out a lot and made some arrogant quotes, but Inge was a lot better than Walewander and Kelly.  His defense and moderate power was strong enough to make him a legit starting third baseman for a few years.  

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t group Inge with those guys.  To me, he’s more like Bobby Higginson—had a few good years, then flamed out.

I know but Inge's love was way out proportion to how good he was a lot of it might have just been women thinking he was cute

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I know but Inge's love was way out proportion to how good he was a lot of it might have just been women thinking he was cute

I think it was moms. Particularly baseball moms. He reminded him of their son as a little boy. He even had the little boy name.  

he was underrated too.  Interesting that you don’t see him around the team or park. He’s still local. Was involved at Michigan.  Don’t know if he still is.  I’m sure he knows Fetter well. 

36 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think it was moms. Particularly baseball moms. He reminded him of their son as a little boy. He even had the little boy name.  

he was underrated too.  Interesting that you don’t see him around the team or park. He’s still local. Was involved at Michigan.  Don’t know if he still is.  I’m sure he knows Fetter well. 

Inge is still listed on the UM Baseball team coaching pages.

48 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

No ERod news yet?  Maybe he really does want to stay.

On his instagram it looked like he went trick or treating  with his family in the Detroit area. you would think if he wasnt staying he would have peaced out back to Miami

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzG1glIO69Z/?img_index=1

Edited by Toddwert

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If this mornings Free Press was correct, he has until Monday. And they said Harris stated the Tigers wouldn't negotiate with him before he opts out, which he's expected to do.

Reading between the lines, if ERod has stated he intends to opt out, there isn't a real reason not to begin negotiations on a restructure before the deadline.

22 hours ago, Edman85 said:

The problem with that is I don't think it adjusts by time of year, just year in general. So if the run environment took off toward the end of the year (as pitching became more depleted), you may not get a fair comparison for people who were in AAA for part of the year. BP's numbers may be able to factor in opponent strength a bit better than the rest.

That’s an interesting point about timing of the season or other variables.  I hadn’t thought of that.  I can see where it could theoretically shift numbers a little bit.