2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

This quote kinda gets at something that I've heard prior to today quite a bit.... "this team is very young, they are gonna need to go out and get a few useful vets to round out the kids". I've heard that in reference to the outfield too, not just the infield.

Front office did that today. The fact that we're getting some ".... but not that outfielder!!!" from corners of the fanbase is pretty unsurprising.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yes, he's Mark Canha, not Julio Rodriguez, I got it.

He profiles as a guy that they could use on a few different levels (ie. another RH OF bat in a very lefty heavy outfield, gets on base, plays serviceable defense, can back up 1B), and he was obtained for a fairly small price on the third day of the offseason.

Sorry, just not seeing how this generates anger other than people projecting their own ideas as to what, if anything, this means for the rest of the offseason.

Do you even remember last off-season? When fans were upset when the Tigers let Candelario walk? The response was....we have months to replace him, be patient. Or...Harris is new to the job, give him a chance. Well, many fans don't like seeing a 35 year old player with zero upside being acquired. Me? I could care less, I don't see him taking a roster spot from anyone who has any real talents. Like I said, IMO, this move is a nothing burger....a meh move.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Do you even remember last off-season? When fans were upset when the Tigers let Candelario walk? The response was....we have months to replace him, be patient. Or...Harris is new to the job, give him a chance. Well, many fans don't like seeing a 35 year old player with zero upside being acquired. Me? I could care less, I don't see him taking a roster spot from anyone who has any real talents. Like I said, IMO, this move is a nothing burger....a meh move.

He could take AB’s from Vierling, or block Malloy, so this isn’t a victimless crime.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Canha gives you a 110% in every at bat.  Not afraid to get dirty, get hit by the pitch.  

Made me laugh, good job. A weak hitting, old, slow NL player isn't a big deal, it's why we only had to give nothing up for him. The only thing this trade did was create some Tigers chatter.....too many posts about a utility OF who prolly won't make much difference in 2024.

• Like 1

Law had Canha as the #28 overall FA; looks like Law was assuming Brewers would buy him out; huge bargain if he puts up 2.0 WAR for just 11.5M; even if it is an overpay, Harris avoids having to give one of the crappy RH FA outfielders a 2-year contract; looks like a solid move; and again Harris gets a guy with the skills he claims he wants

Canha gave the Mets about three and a half wins of production on the two-year deal he signed before 2022 before they traded him to Milwaukee for a fringe pitching prospect in Justin Jarvis, after which he ran his two-year total to 4.6 rWAR — a screaming bargain for the $24 million total he earned in the period. He became a very strong on-base guy at age 30, and last year’s OBP of .355 was his lowest since 2018, maybe because he failed to lead the league in times hit by a pitch for the first time in three years.

He doesn’t have enough power to be a regular in a corner, but he doesn’t show much platoon split and could overcome the lack of power if he gets his OBPs back up to the .370-plus range. If you’re a glass-half-full person, you see Canha’s .373 OBP in Milwaukee after the trade and hope there’s another year or two of that production in here, in which case he ought to get another two-year deal for something more like $28-30 million.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

You're kidding right?

I'm not sure I've ever seen a horse flogged so hard and so often in my life

I guess you don't remember last year at this time. Fans were really mad at Harris for letting Candy walk. The arguments supporting Harris were, it's early, give him time. Yeah, we ended up with Nick Maton. Or...Harris is new here, give him time. So we get a utility RH bat for the OF. Big woop...a meaningless move. We need SP depth, a 2nd baseman, a 3rd baseman and a decent backup catcher. It's early but as Yogi once said, it's getting late quick! Lol

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I guess you don't remember last year at this time. Fans were really mad at Harris for letting Candy walk. The arguments supporting Harris were, it's early, give him time. Yeah, we ended up with Nick Maton. Or...Harris is new here, give him time. So we get a utility RH bat for the OF. Big woop...a meaningless move. We need SP depth, a 2nd baseman, a 3rd baseman and a decent backup catcher. It's early but as Yogi once said, it's getting late quick! Lol

Question:

Given the concern about the Tigers OF depth and how this move would impact said depth, should the Tigers have acquired any OF this offseason? Or should they have just run it back?

27 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Question:

Given the concern about the Tigers OF depth and how this move would impact said depth, should the Tigers have acquired any OF this offseason? Or should they have just run it back?

A quality RH OF bat with decent defense? Yes. Or put Vierling in the OF in a platoon split with Baddoo. Then we would need a good defense/bat at 3rd base. But this guy we got today? Meaningless. Treading water. Not inspiring. I hear he's good at getting beaned, that should be fun. 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A quality RH OF bat with decent defense? Yes. Or put Vierling in the OF in a platoon split with Baddoo. Then we would need a good defense/bat at 3rd base. But this guy we got today? Meaningless. Treading water. Not inspiring. I hear he's good at getting beaned, that should be fun. 🤣

I think he’s a better player than you are portraying him to be, and his OPS+, which exceeded that of most (all?) of the 2023 Detroit Tigers demonstrates that. And they obtained him for a fairly small price.

We just agree to disagree on this one. They needed a veteran OF bat, they acquired one, hopefully this allows them to shift their focus to other needs (another infielder, a couple of starters, etc.)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

A lot of offseason left, but wonder if the Tigers view Vierling as a viable option at 3B, keeping the hot corner warm for Jung?

Wasn't he the primary choice at 3rd base last year after Maton flamed out? Right now, I think he's our best bet at 3rd base. But I was impressed with his defense in RF. I would much rather see him as a RH platoon split in LF with Baddoo than any other player on our roster. But like I said, it doesn't really matter what the fans want.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I think he’s a better player than you are portraying him to be, and his OPS+, which exceeded that of most (all?) of the 2023 Detroit Tigers demonstrates that. And they obtained him for a fairly small price.

We just agree to disagree on this one. They needed a veteran OF bat, they acquired one, hopefully this allows them to shift their focus to other needs (another infielder, a couple of starters, etc.)

Needs....outfield? Really? Look how many we already had...Baddoo, Greene, Meadows, Vierling and Carpenter. We even used Zach Short and Ibanez out there, though those guys aren't ideal. We needed a RH bat out there but at who's expense? Trade Baddoo? May as well, we have Greene for LF. If he can stay healthy for 150 games or so. But come on man, you gotta agree Canha doesn't bring much to the table. 35 years old, limited power, batting average, speed or defense. Not much upside to him, other than getting hit by the pitch. Like I've said a few times, a nothing burger move. A giant....meh.

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The risk is Canha is more is age than his resume. At 35 he might have ~3 good yrs left or he might come to ST and find its gone forever - you never know about hitters in their mid thirties.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The risk is Canha is more is age than his resume. At 35 he might have ~3 good yrs left or he might come to ST and find its gone forever - you never know about hitters in their mid thirties.

That's a fair question - but again, I think that for what they gave up, that is a risk worth taking.