2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Does Tyler Alexander have enough service time to refuse assgnment? Sure seems like he must...

Refuse assignment? No. Declare free agency? Yes. He will be gone. They likely didn't put him on waivers in time because Canha wasn't acquired til Saturday.

What isn't mentioned in that transaction is Wingenter and Vasquez will be among the minor league free agent crop at the top of the hour.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Refuse assignment? No. Declare free agency? Yes. He will be gone. They likely didn't put him on waivers in time because Canha wasn't acquired til Saturday.

What isn't mentioned in that transaction is Wingenter and Vasquez will be among the minor league free agent crop at the top of the hour.

So Austin Meadows will be a non tender ? And why do we have to wait ?

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

I like how the release says New York (NL) instead of the Yankees. Yet earlier in the release they use the team nickname on themselves. Little things like that get my attention. I want to know the protocol or standards. 

isnt that the Mets? NL for National League

28 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

So Austin Meadows will be a non tender ? And why do we have to wait ?

Meadows can refuse assignment (5+ years service time), so he may have just said "No, I'm not accepting an outright," even if the end state is free agency.

Maybe they aren't letting him go, for reasons.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

Meadows can refuse assignment (5+ years service time), so he may have just said "No, I'm not accepting an outright," even if the end state is free agency.

Maybe they aren't letting him go, for reasons.

There hasn't been boo out of Austin's camp that he even intends to play baseball again. Supposing he did, the expectation to walk into an MLB camp and perform after 2 yrs off would seem unrealistic.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

There hasn't been boo out of Austin's camp that he even intends to play baseball again. Supposing he did, the expectation to walk into an MLB camp and perform after 2 yrs off would seem unrealistic.

He might not even know what he wants to do... as someone with anxiety I can totally understand 

50 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Maybe they figure one more off season will help Kelly's forearm recover.

Possibly.

I’m not all that worried about offense out of the backup catcher.  They need one of those, this one is in house and might have some slight upside over last season.  Sands ain’t gonna be it.  Dingler needs more minor league reps.  Free agency is awful.  Just pick up the option and move along with life.

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Ok, so now we know the bench.  I doubt the  Tigers would waste 40 man spots if they didn’t think McKinstry, Ibanez and Kelly had a good chance to make the squad. 

Let’s now package Carpenter, Jung and another good prospect for an outfielder upgrade.

How do we know the bench? That changes dozens of times over the course of the season anyways. So if a quality bench player is available for cheap later in the offseason, the Tigers should pass?

The 40 man really isn't set. There's still more rounds of cuts.

Also, take a dive into some advanced metrics and Ibanez as a starter may not seem so far-fetched.