2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

but to give him the benefit of the doubt... why would a free agent immediately rule out a big spending team that's targeting his position?  Even if you don't want to play for them or live there you keep them in the game.  He'd be an idiot otherwise.

and of course we don't know what he was asking the Tigers for to stay, which has to be weighed against how much the Tiger FO believes (rightly or wrongly)  he may have damaged his marketability with his 'eccentricities'.

I don't think you can generalize with much certainty, but to do ahead and do it anyway ;), I think teams don't suffer any more overall by being too willing to let guys walk vs  being too willing to overpay.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I'm convinced that E-Rod nixed the trade to the Dodgers because he knew he'd get lit up in the playoffs and that it would greatly affect his value on the open market.  

interesting idea. He did not pitch as well in the second half of the season as he did in the first.

Edited by gehringer_2

I have to say Harris's comments yesterday have me a bit concerned about the teams lack of willingness to spend in free agency at the high end. Todays Newspapers seemed to validate the same not that they ever really know. I hope it's mostly posturing because this seems like the free agency class to land at least one top shelf starting pitcher. 

I'm glad Harris told Eduardo take the $49 million or hit the bricks. I don't want to see another five years of his flaky nonsense wrapped in declining performance into his mid 30s while on the Tigers. Let him go be somebody else's problem. I have confidence we can build a solid rotation of made up of standup guys without him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

I am convinced the Tigers will continue to play the low budget angle. My only question…is this an Illitch directive or is this the way Harris prefers to operate, or both?

He spent what 400 million 2 offseasons ago.

For the love of adduci, can we stop with this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Then Spend on Juan Soto.   9 years, 330 million..............DO IT !

$30 million less than Judge and he's six years younger. Why would he accept that? Is it really a good idea for Detroit to invest so much into one player again now that Miggy is gone? I'd rather have a good roster instead of one star.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Would anybody kick the tires on Trevor Bauer? Given his off the field incidents it wouldn't look good from a PR standpoint but from an on the field standpoint it could be a good get. 

He apparently dominated in Japan down the stretch and his FB is reportedly back up to topping at over 99mph so the stuff is all the way back.

Im guessing he could be had for a lot less than some of the top guys but could end up giving you similar results. 

Rather than dismiss out of hand for the obvious PR issues, I will say make-up is something this front office really values. Guys with a good attitude will encourage each other to improve. The complete lack of attrition and accountability from him is where I could see teams shying away, not wanting a cranky veteran who could interrupt the development apparatus.

Having said that, there is a whole chapter on him in the MVP Machine really helping Cleveland's pitching development. I don't think he is the same person now as he was when that took place though...

9 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

$30 million less than Judge and he's six years younger. Why would he accept that? Is it really a good idea for Detroit to invest so much into one player again now that Miggy is gone? I'd rather have a good roster instead of one star.

I agree with this theory.

And on the other hand, why not both?

Edited by casimir

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

I agree with this theory.

And on the other hand, why not both?

I find it too risky to invest so much in one player. If he's hurt or not performing, we lose all of that investment. If it's spread over multiple players, when one is injured we still have the others. I think the Tigers used 42 players this year. We need the best 40 man roster we can get.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Then Spend on Juan Soto.   9 years, 330 million..............DO IT !

if the price was 9/330, the Nats or Padres would have locked him up already

next Winter, Boras will ask for 15/600M for Soto; that's 40M per year, ages 26 to 40

Judge got 9/360M, that 40m per year, ages 31-39

IMO that Soto and Boras will get well over 500M

2 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I find it too risky to invest so much in one player. If he's hurt or not performing, we lose all of that investment. If it's spread over multiple players, when one is injured we still have the others. I think the Tigers used 42 players this year. We need the best 40 man roster we can get.

Well, OK, from a free agency acquisition standpoint, I think cost typically outweighs value for the top players.  By the time players become free agents, a team is buying their downhill seasons.

Having said that, we can look at the Rangers and what they just accomplished.  I think its safe to say they have a good roster and they did acquire a couple of the better free agents one offseason to pair up with that emerging roster.  Kudos to them for timing that well.  It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.