2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Would anybody kick the tires on Trevor Bauer? Given his off the field incidents it wouldn't look good from a PR standpoint but from an on the field standpoint it could be a good get. 

He apparently dominated in Japan down the stretch and his FB is reportedly back up to topping at over 99mph so the stuff is all the way back.

Im guessing he could be had for a lot less than some of the top guys but could end up giving you similar results. 

If they could get him for one of those expensive one-year deals, then sure.  

19 hours ago, MIguy said:

I'm convinced that E-Rod nixed the trade to the Dodgers because he knew he'd get lit up in the playoffs and that it would greatly affect his value on the open market.  

To your point, ERod’s agent has announced the he has no regional restrictions on where he would sign. 

35 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, OK, from a free agency acquisition standpoint, I think cost typically outweighs value for the top players.  By the time players become free agents, a team is buying their downhill seasons.

Having said that, we can look at the Rangers and what they just accomplished.  I think its safe to say they have a good roster and they did acquire a couple of the better free agents one offseason to pair up with that emerging roster.  Kudos to them for timing that well.  It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

The Rangers will be bad for a long time in the future as the cost of this Championship. Whether an owner wants to go that route is his decision to make.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The Rangers will be bad for a long time in the future as the cost of this Championship. Whether an owner wants to go that route is his decision to make.

I don't know.  They have the big 3 contracts with DeGrom, Seager, and Semien.  DeGrom isn't an ideal contract, but the other contracts still have useful life on them.

16 hours ago, 1776 said:

I am convinced the Tigers will continue to play the low budget angle. My only question…is this an Illitch directive or is this the way Harris prefers to operate, or both?

I believe it's Harris all the way. He had a knack in SF of finding under the radar guys in FA, especially pitchers, and getting good results. Alex Wood is a good example.

1 minute ago, Cruzer1 said:

I believe it's Harris all the way. He had a knack in SF of finding under the radar guys in FA, especially pitchers, and getting good results. Alex Wood is a good example.

An owners dream.  Doesn’t have to be told to spend wisely.  Likes obtaining projects and having the development team coach them up.

7 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

He did well with the Carlos Rodon deal as well. 

54 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

its almost been 40 years id take a fun World series winning team

I'd rather they be good for many years than one and done.  However, they have had only one stretch over the last 40 year where they were successful for a long period of time. 

I also don't know that the Rangers will be one and done.  

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I agree with this theory.

And on the other hand, why not both?

I think we could have both, but I believe Juan Soto-level signings would come only after the rebuild is mostly complete and the roster and system have been fortified. I just don't see this ownership and regime as currently-constructed liquidating top prospects in trade for big stars, or shooting five offseasons' worth of free agent budget on one guy, hamstringing ourselves from making any other signings or extensions for the rest of the decade while we cross our fingers and hope the new big guy Michael-Jordans us to a couple of threepeats.

The Tigers of the 2010s were able to win with the stars and scrubs mentality but their stars also didn't perform at "just" All Star level they were legit superstars.

When you have 2-3 guys that hit like Cabrera, VMart and for a couple years Fielder did you can get by with some black holes in your lineup. 

So Overall I agree the best course of action is to have as few of black holes in the lineup as possible which usually means spreading the money around more vs. Using it on 1 or 2 guys. 

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

To your point, ERod’s agent has announced the he has no regional restrictions on where he would sign. 

But he won't go to LA for 2 months and pitch in the playoffs. Why would anyone want someone who doesn't want to pitch for a playoff team ? And don't say family. It's summertime, schools out  and he can put them in a beach front condo for two months on his salary. That's a holiday. I am happy he is gone.We can do better.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 11:31 AM, oblong said:

I mean.... who wouldn't?

Just love reading the internet commentary about that whole situation from people who think they know what went on and what Harris did or didn't do.

It seems like it's gotten to the point where people throw out their own theories about why he did this or that and then we start talking about them as if they are true.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

But he won't go to LA for 2 months and pitch in the playoffs. Why would anyone want someone who doesn't want to pitch for a playoff team ? And don't say family. It's summertime, schools out  and he can put them in a beach front condo for two months on his salary. That's a holiday. I am happy he is gone.We can do better.

LA and SF are interested in him. I’m glad he’s gone as well.

Edited by 1776

59 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

that's easy for you to say about someone else's situation.  Maybe his kids have friends they don't want to leave.  Maybe his wife has friends.  There's so many things within a family that can come up where a sudden move or absence can be traumatic.  We simply don't know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oblong said:

that's easy for you to say about someone else's situation.  Maybe his kids have friends they don't want to leave.  Maybe his wife has friends.  There's so many things within a family that can come up where a sudden move or absence can be traumatic.  We simply don't know.

Yes you are correct but it's 8 weeks. As a pro isn't winning a lifetime goal ? my point is the family can come or stay. His profession requires him to travel so it's not something new. Your points are very valid and I don't know his situation but I sure would not pay someone 80 million who shied away from the post season.

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Would anybody kick the tires on Trevor Bauer? Given his off the field incidents it wouldn't look good from a PR standpoint but from an on the field standpoint it could be a good get. 

He apparently dominated in Japan down the stretch and his FB is reportedly back up to topping at over 99mph so the stuff is all the way back.

Im guessing he could be had for a lot less than some of the top guys but could end up giving you similar results. 

Hell no

10 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Yes you are correct but it's 8 weeks. As a pro isn't winning a lifetime goal ? my point is the family can come or stay. His profession requires him to travel so it's not something new. Your points are very valid and I don't know his situation but I sure would not pay someone 80 million who shied away from the post season.

I wouldn't either.  But his accumulated wealth has also given him the ability to make the best choice as he sees fit for himself, whatever that may be.  

I am glad he opted out and am glad it appears there's no interest in having him come back. Let him be someone else's problem.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Where did people read that he didn't want to play in post-season games?  

He has pitched for 6 teams that made post-season and one of them even won the post-season tournament in 2018.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Where did people read that he didn't want to play in post-season games?  

He has pitched for 6 teams that made post-season and one of them even won the post-season tournament in 2018.  

I could see an angle where the logic was not so much about the playoffs per say as that by the deadline he knew he hadn't been sharp , maybe was nursing something and figured that the sooner the season ended for him this season, the less damage he might do to his FA value. It's just a theory. 

Edited by gehringer_2

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I brought this up around the time the evidence came out about his accuser setting him up. He's a prick, but so are a lot of great athletes. I would definitely kick the tires on Bauer.

• Like 1