2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Non-tender day!

I expect the two DFA'ed players to be non-tendered today. Austin Meadows is a definite possibility. I guess one couldn't rule out Turnbull. Some other 40-man guys who can't be outrighted later in the offseason (due to injury or being added since August 15), thus could be non-tendered as a procedural move include Diaz.

Spencer Turnbull learned the same lesson that Eduardo Rodriguez did, and that every player who is in the organization now and in the future will now understand completely: no matter how talented you might be, when you **** with Scott Harris, it is a career move. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lots of bs from Harris about how he expected Turnbull to compete for rotation

All that fight about service time for nothing 

Yeah, that is a bit of a head-scratcher. Maybe he was willing to let Turnbull try but there was some encounter with him or Boras that moved Harris of that. Or maybe Harris was ****ing with Spencer Turnbull right back at him. Either way, I can assure you that we will not miss Spencer Turnbull. 

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Spencer Turnbull learned the same lesson that Eduardo Rodriguez did, and that every player who is in the organization now and in the future will now understand completely: no matter how talented you might be, when you **** with Scott Harris, it is a career move. 

On one hand Spencer gets what he wanted  - he's going to be a FA. OTOH, his value is down to where he won't do any better than he would have in arbitration, almost certainly worse. So bottom line at best he signs a one year prove it deal somewhere, and at the end of the season is pretty much exactly where he would have been after pitching his last controlled season in Det, other than being out a chuck of cash. Anyone think Boras will reimburse him the difference?

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

On one hand Spencer gets what he wanted  - he's going to be a FA. OTOH, his value is down to where he won't do any better than he would have in arbitration, almost certainly worse. So bottom line at best he signs a one year prove it deal somewhere, and at the end of the season is pretty much exactly where he would have been after pitching his last controlled season in Det, other than being out a chuck of cash. Anyone think Boras will reimburse him the difference?

I’m pretty sure Boras isn’t taking Spencer Trumbull’s calls anymore. The intern from the GLIAC school is totally available to talk, though. 😁

If Spencer Turnbull actually wanted to leave the Tigers as a free agent, then I’m thinking Boras did not level with him about the state of his market. 

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, that is a bit of a head-scratcher. Maybe he was willing to let Turnbull try but there was some encounter with him or Boras that moved Harris of that. Or maybe Harris was ****ing with Spencer Turnbull right back at him. Either way, I can assure you that we will not miss Spencer Turnbull. 

I also wonder if Harris talked to agents/teams and is pretty sure he's gonna mand someone. So why invest in Turnbull and then have to cut him/stadh him in the bullpen anyway. Just cut bait now before paying

48 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is that a good reputation to have when trying to attract talent from outside the organization?  

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I also wonder if Harris talked to agents/teams and is pretty sure he's gonna mand someone. So why invest in Turnbull and then have to cut him/stadh him in the bullpen anyway. Just cut bait now before paying

No room in the rotation for him if they can sign a couple veteran starters.

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Probably not among the kind of talent that likes ****ing with general managers.

but even if he is right about Rodriguez and Turnbull, non-difficult players might perceive him as difficult to work with and  avoid him.  I am not saying that he should let difficult players take advantage of him, just that I don't think having the reputation as a tough GM is necessarily a positive.  

I don’t expect a GM to bad mouth or talk down about any player on the active roster. They will say the nice things until he’s not a member of the ball club.  

I don’t think the way Eduardo or Turnbull were treated will have any impact on players coming here. Nothing wrong with not giving a player a new contract when they already have one. He opted out Tigers didn’t do anything wrong there. Why negotiate against yourself?